Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Alpha Dropper?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Damn that was quick. Hope it’s as good as they say it is. Mine in 40 will be here Wednesday according to tracking info 

I got an order confirmation for a 9mm before they sold out...........

Hope it's as good as they claim; as mine will be going head to head with my MBF!

👍 

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

I got an order confirmation for a 9mm before they sold out...........

Hope it's as good as they claim; as mine will be going head to head with my MBF!

👍 

Same here Hog. Better b bag e better than the sticky mbf. When I put some imperial wax on the mbf it calms it down but not 100% and you still get the pop. Hope this cures that completely. 

On 4/17/2020 at 12:39 PM, Furrly said:

it does stop the stickiness, just loaded 200 rounds yesterday of 40!!

Furrly 

when you switched it out with the mbf dropper did you have to adjust the powder die any or did it just use the same setting as the mbf. Just wondering. Love cane in today for 40 cal and I have my mbf right where I want it and was just seeing if it just dropped in without any adjusting. Looks like it may be ok but I won’t know till Saturday that’s why I was asking you about it. 

1 minute ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Furrly 

when you switched it out with the mbf dropper did you have to adjust the powder die any or did it just use the same setting as the mbf. Just wondering. Love cane in today for 40 cal and I have my mbf right where I want it and was just seeing if it just dropped in without any adjusting. Looks like it may be ok but I won’t know till Saturday that’s why I was asking you about it. 

Mine came today too, and I have my MBF setup perfect. I. Kinda not looking forward to changing it..

8 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Furrly 

I found that when I dropped in the doppler it flared the case to much for my liking, what I would recommend put an empty case in each station start from there.. Might have some miner adjustments. 

39 minutes ago, Furrly said:

I found that when I dropped in the doppler it flared the case to much for my liking, what I would recommend put an empty case in each station start from there.. Might have some miner adjustments. 

Thanks.

Even though I ordered one of the Alpha Dropper powder funnels in 9mm, I'm still not sold that it will be an improvement/direct replacement for the MBF powder funnel!

That 2-step design of the MBF is, IMO, what sets it apart from all the other expander/flare powder funnels; and provides a very stable platform for holding the bullet in perfect position heading to the seating die!

Mine came in today as well. The funnel is significantly longer than the Dillon factory funnel and will require completely readjustment of your powder measure.

I tried it with some problem cases that had been wet tumbled and had a propensity for sticking to the MBF funnel so badly that I would have to whack the lever quite hard to get them to release.  I can say with confidence that this new funnel eliminated at least 90% of the sticking that had been occurring.   It really is a night and day difference. 

3 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

Mine came in today as well. The funnel is significantly longer than the Dillon factory funnel and will require completely readjustment of your powder measure.

I tried it with some problem cases that had been wet tumbled and had a propensity for sticking to the MBF funnel so badly that I would have to whack the lever quite hard to get them to release.  I can say with confidence that this new funnel eliminated at least 90% of the sticking that had been occurring.   It really is a night and day difference. 

chev:

THANK YOU for the info.......glad to hear your pleased with it!

Can you comment on the "stability" of how your bullets sit in the brass expanded/flared with the Alpha as compared to the 2-step design of the MBF funnel?

1 minute ago, HOGRIDER said:

chev:

THANK YOU for the info.......glad to hear your pleased with it!

Can you comment on the "stability" of how your bullets sit in the brass expanded/flared with the Alpha as compared to the 2-step design of the MBF funnel?

I tried it out with some RMR 147gr Hardcore Match plated bullets that are .356", and even with the funnel backed out so that there is very little if any actual flaring happening, the bullet was fairly firmly and deeply seated into the case.  I actually had to back off on how much flare I had at first, as a full column of bullets in my MBF dropper was pushing the bullet past my 1.150" target seating depth.  At that point the flare really wasn't even that extreme (it would enter my Lee FCD without catching) so the funnel must be slightly larger in diameter at its tip than the MBF was to allow the bullet to seat that deeply with no real flare on the case. 

59 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

Even though I ordered one of the Alpha Dropper powder funnels in 9mm, I'm still not sold that it will be an improvement/direct replacement for the MBF powder funnel!

That 2-step design of the MBF is, IMO, what sets it apart from all the other expander/flare powder funnels; and provides a very stable platform for holding the bullet in perfect position heading to the seating die!

Just to have it no stick is worth every penny. 

How does it perform with regards to powder sticking to it?  I've noticed that when loading major, powder will stick to the outside of the mbf die which eventually ends up on the press.

11 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Just to have it no stick is worth every penny. 

^^^^Agree 100%

I'm hoping the coating on the Alpha Dropper won't require the light coating of case lube in the mouth of the case to be stick-free..............

Time will tell!

:)

6 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

^^^^Agree 100%

I'm hoping the coating on the Alpha Dropper won't require the light coating of case lube in the mouth of the case to be stick-free..............

Time will tell!

:)

They say no. Talked to them and they say their costing fixed that issue. I hoping myself. 

7 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

They say no. Talked to them and they say their costing fixed that issue. I hoping myself. 

Well, that's great news! 

Hope some users post up details of their experiences.

30 minutes ago, workingmanjeff said:

Nice, thanks for posting this - I need one in 40 - if they would only get them back in stock...

Sign up for their email list.  You’ll get notification of when more are coming/in stock.

DAA one works pretty well for auto drives, because the bullets don't tip over vs. Dillon die.  I believe it's due to the "step" on the front.  

I don't see the Alpha having the same "step" there, but maybe it also prevents bullets from tipping over too for auto drives?  Has anyone with auto drives tried it?

daa.jpg

1 hour ago, OptimiStick said:

I've got 1 in 40 and 2 in 9mm that i'm about to try out this week.

Could you possibly find the time to get some detailed measurements of the MBF powder funnel and compare it to the new Alpha Dropper?  Hopefully in 9mm...........

If I had both in my hands right now, I'd be taking detailed measurements of the (MBF) very bottom expansion flare, and then the 2nd step up as Dazhi depicted above in red.  We all know the benefits of the second step in the MBF as it creates a sort of "cavity" for bullets to drop into and stay pretty well up right without wobbling and/or falling off the mouth of the case during shell plate rotation.

From looking at the pics of the Alpha, it appears they are only using one "cavity" that could very well represent a single, slightly deeper version of the "cavity" that's produced by the upper step of the MBF.  That bit of "design change" may also have been required to eliminate any "patent" infringement of DAA/MBF's design.  And the right industrial coating  "could" provide some lubricity properties that might greatly reduce or eliminate the sticking issues we have with the MBF.............

Just me thinking out loud............

🤔