Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Alpha Dropper?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From their site:

The benefits:

- Material used is overkill... 30 Hrc internally hardness with a 67 Hrc hard low friction coating.  

-No more sticky scratched up worn out funnels.

-The machine polished punch tip is tapered to ensure a stick free release of your brass.

-That same taper is perfectly sized to capture your bullet tightly.  All bullet types tested 100%.  Your bullet tipping over on index problem is now gone.

-Ported and polished powder path for maximum flow and it’s Larger than anything available.

-With the Alpha Dropper you will experience a more consistent powder flow rate as well as tight bullet placement. It’s the last powder funnel that you will ever need to purchase.

**Powder measure die adjustment recommended.

👍

Ok. For you hog but in 40. Measured both droppers just now. Overall length mbf- 2.884 alpha- 2.900. Main body of dropperS from top to first step both measured .554. From step to beginning of cone mbf- .508 alpha- .449. Now here’s the difference. The 2 steps under the cone on mbf are flat top measures .403 bottom .398. The alpha from cone to tapered bottom is 1 step but is tappered all the way down to the bottom where is tappers a lot. .410-.397 and very bottom tapper is to much to get accurate measurements. This is where I think alpha keeps the popping and sticking from happening. So the difference is where it all happens below the cone mbf has 2 straight length steps while the alpha has one tappered step. Have 10 cases that popped on the mbf dropper gonna test alpha in a little bit. Probably gonna have to reset die first. Hopefully not to much. Hopes this helps out some guys interested in trying this. Looks very promising and costing and polishing look great 

2 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Ok. For you hog but in 40. Measured both droppers just now. Overall length mbf- 2.884 alpha- 2.900. Main body of dropperS from top to first step both measured .554. From step to beginning of cone mbf- .508 alpha- .449. Now here’s the difference. The 2 steps under the cone on mbf are flat top measures .403 bottom .398. The alpha from cone to tapered bottom is 1 step but is tappered all the way down to the bottom where is tappers a lot. .410-.397 and very bottom tapper is to much to get accurate measurements. This is where I think alpha keeps the popping and sticking from happening. So the difference is where it all happens below the cone mbf has 2 straight length steps while the alpha has one tappered step. Have 10 cases that popped on the mbf dropper gonna test alpha in a little bit. Probably gonna have to reset die first. Hopefully not to much. Hopes this helps out some guys interested in trying this. Looks very promising and costing and polishing look great 

Dirt:

I truly appreciate you taking the time to do all the measuring........I fully understand the 2 straight length steps of the MBF vs the one "tapered" step of the Alpha.

Looking forward to your test results on cases for "popping"!!!

THANK YOU!

1 minute ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

From my understanding the polishing makes a significant difference with any dropper. Looking forward to hearing if the new dropper makes the press run smoother and minimizes sticking. 

Well I have to say it’s worth every penny. Put it in and it was right on my flare as it was with mbf no adjusting die which was great. Measured same as mbf flare. Now for the best part. The 10 cases that popped big time with the mbf same 10 cases smooth as goose sh$& with the alpha dropper. I have to say if you are tired of the popping and sticking you need to buy the alpha dropper. I was skeptical but having tested it compared to the mbf back to back it is as advertised. And press is smoother since the popping is gone. 

2 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Well I have to say it’s worth every penny. Put it in and it was right on my flare as it was with mbf no adjusting die which was great. Measured same as mbf flare. Now for the best part. The 10 cases that popped big time with the mbf same 10 cases smooth as goose sh$& with the alpha dropper. I have to say if you are tired of the popping and sticking you need to buy the alpha dropper. I was skeptical but having tested it compared to the mbf back to back it is as advertised. And press is smoother since the popping is gone. 

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. 

14 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Man, I must have had an MBF funnel from a different batch, since my MBF funnel was like 1/2" shorter. 

22 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

Man, I must have had an MBF funnel from a different batch, since my MBF funnel was like 1/2" shorter. 

mine was definitely shorter in 9. I had to adjust the die up quite a bit. But here's the .40 , which I haven't installed/tested yet. Dillon the left, then MBF in the middle,and Alpha on the right

IMG_0656.jpg

13 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

mine was definitely shorter in 9. I had to adjust the die up quite a bit. But here's the .40 , which I haven't installed/tested yet. Dillon the left, then MBF in the middle,and Alpha on the right

IMG_0656.jpg

40 was a little taller. But to my surprise I didn’t have to do nothing to powder die. Mbf and alpha both measure same flare. I must have lucked out lol. 

my angle was a little crooked on that pic, but - those are .40 . Alpha may be a hair taller than MBF, but if you look at the profile, they're so different, I don't think you can take much away from that small difference in overall length.

But, like I said earlier, 9mm was definitely different.  

Edited by OptimiStick

27 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

Okay. Here's 9mm. Alpha in black vs DAA.

Alpha9mm.jpg

Holy crap that’s a big difference. Wonder why the 40 isn’t like that and much closer to the size of mbf. That’s damn near a half inch 

37 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Holy crap that’s a big difference. Wonder why the 40 isn’t like that and much closer to the size of mbf. That’s damn near a half inch 

I remember when I recommended switching from the Dillon XL650 powder funnel over to the MBF funnel, there "appeared" to be a big difference on OAL simply going by the posted pics..............

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/205711-fix-for-shaving-lead-bullets/?do=findComment&comment=2396647

Sometimes the angles of the pics distort the true relationship......

🤔

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

I remember when I recommended switching from the Dillon XL650 powder funnel over to the MBF funnel, there "appeared" to be a big difference on OAL simply going by the posted pics..............

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/205711-fix-for-shaving-lead-bullets/?do=findComment&comment=2396647

Sometimes the angles of the pics distort the true relationship......

🤔

It has been so long since I had the Dillon powder funnel in my machine that I forgot about that size difference

Dirt how is the bullet seating with the alpha ,is the bullets setting on the case straight? If it stops the popping and the bullets are fitting the case good I will be wanting one .

I got my 9mm unit in today.  I loaded a hundred 147 grainers (which have been giving me fits on my AutoDriven 1050; at least "one in twenty" was toppling over).  I ran this hundred at 1900 rph and no adjustments on indexing speed.  It ran like a champ.

I did have to do a little bit of adjustment to my powder die, but I was expecting that.

9 hours ago, Dwbsig said:

Dirt how is the bullet seating with the alpha ,is the bullets setting on the case straight? If it stops the popping and the bullets are fitting the case good I will be wanting one .

Yes sits the same as the mbf was with Bullets. Basically the alpha is the same as the mbf dropper it’s difference is had one tappered step vs mbf having 2 straight steps for the flaring. The tappered step and the drastic tapper at the very bottom is why the alpha out performs and doesn’t stick or pop when loading. Get it it’s well worth it. Ran a test batch of 100 rds last night not 1 pop or sticking feeling or and tipping of the bullet. And that 100 cases I know was bad with the popping before I tried them with the alpha. 

2 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Yes sits the same as the mbf was with Bullets. Basically the alpha is the same as the mbf dropper it’s difference is had one tappered step vs mbf having 2 straight steps for the flaring. The tappered step and the drastic tapper at the very bottom is why the alpha out performs and doesn’t stick or pop when loading. Get it it’s well worth it. Ran a test batch of 100 rds last night not 1 pop or sticking feeling or and tipping of the bullet. And that 100 cases I know was bad with the popping before I tried them with the alpha. 

Dirt:

Thanks for the excellent information!

Mine's at the PO, so hopefully I'll get to do some comparison tonight or tomorrow.

👍