Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Alpha Dropper?

14 hours ago, hwansikcjswo said:

I made another batch with slightly less belling (0.382 ish) and made sure all the bullets are seated straight.

I tested 100 rounds today and zero flyers. 

Thank you so much for your input.

This Alpha dropper is pretty awesome. It does a good job with minimizing or even eliminating stickiness. I'd recommend this product, especially to people who automated their press.

Nice glad you got it figured out. Yes Bullets crooked will do that. My bad should’ve said that in my earlier comment I was just referring to dropper that has nothing to do with accuracy as far as it’s job. 🤦‍♂️

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Nice glad you got it figured out. Yes Bullets crooked will do that. My bad should’ve said that in my earlier comment I was just referring to dropper that has nothing to do with accuracy as far as it’s job. 🤦‍♂️

No worries. Thank you for the replies. They were still educational to me.

• 2 weeks later...

It's just too long for my Lee universal expander die for my comfort level. I had about 2 threads of the top cap keeping it on. I just got the new Lyman pro series flare die in, and am running that tonight. So far so good. It's really, really well built - but it's not a funnel. it's a solid back-piece that threads into a cap. Surface was a little rough, I chucked it up and worked it with wet 2000 gr sandpaper and then polished it w Flitz,  and it runs like a champ in my Revo. I'll move the Alpha to one of my Dillons.

9 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Does this dropper also flares? Mark7 Presses have their flaring on a separate station, so???  

Yes it does. Works just lie the mbf dropper just better. I’ve had no sticking or popping while using the alpha. 

I ran into the same (or similar) issue as Hwansik mentioned above.

Because the alpha dropper is a more gradual taper instead of a abrupt step, it is really easy to over expand the case mouth without knowing it. The problem seems to come when you place the bullet in the case prior to seating. If it is not perfectly concentric, there is less travel when seating occurs to straighten out the bullet concentrically.

So if you adjust bell to where cases just barely accepts the bullet, the case walls are able to straighten up the bullet as it is seated.

That's my theory, anyway.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd chime in with some new findings concerning the MBF funnel............

Exchanging ideas with someone that FULLY understands the design principle of the MBF style funnel, I was informed that the reason our new/wet tumbled brass "stick" during extraction was due to surface friction.

So, at his recommendation, he machined the upper step down to .357" and sent the funnel for me to try.  Using nothing but Hornady One Shot case lube along with a swipe of Imperial Wax on the MBF style funnel expander with Imperial Wax, I was able to load 100 rounds with little to no sticking whatsoever from start to finish.

The Zero 147g JHPs are . 355" to .3555" while two different brands of coated lead I checked were averaging .356" to .3565 max.  With the .357" upper step on the funnel, there was no reason to use the stock funnel that averages .358" to .3585"!  I could easily seat either bullet style/size, by hand, after coming out of the expander funnel.

Got some aftermarket fully processed brass I want to try also; but my "initial impression" with this slight modification has me thinking this definitely looks very promising and deserves more thorough testing.

👍💡;)

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

Thought I'd chime in with some new findings concerning the MBF funnel............

Exchanging ideas with someone that FULLY understands the design principle of the MBF style funnel, I was informed that the reason our new/wet tumbled brass "stick" during extraction was due to surface friction.

So, at his recommendation, he machined the upper step down to .357" and sent the funnel for me to try.  Using nothing but Hornady One Shot case lube along with a swipe of Imperial Wax on the MBF style funnel expander with Imperial Wax, I was able to load 100 rounds with little to no sticking whatsoever from start to finish.

The Zero 147g JHPs are . 355" to .3555" while two different brands of coated lead I checked were averaging .356" to .3565 max.  With the .357" upper step on the funnel, there was no reason to use the stock funnel that averages .358" to .3585"!  I could easily seat either bullet style/size, by hand, after coming out of the expander funnel.

Got some aftermarket fully processed brass I want to try also; but my "initial impression" with this slight modification has me thinking this definitely looks very promising and deserves more thorough testing.

👍💡;)

I did that with my original Dillon funnel very early in my reloading. I found that there is a fine line between just right and too much. I crossed that line. Reloading was smooth as silk but the bullets ended up seating off center. Had all kinds of feeding issues.

Just an FYI to check out before loading a years worth of ammo.😊

15 hours ago, Sarge said:

I did that with my original Dillon funnel very early in my reloading. I found that there is a fine line between just right and too much. I crossed that line. Reloading was smooth as silk but the bullets ended up seating off center. Had all kinds of feeding issues.

Just an FYI to check out before loading a years worth of ammo.😊

Sarge:  Thanks for that reminder!

I did give them a thorough check by individually gauging along with dropping in the Hundo.

Also going to try a few, new Starlines along with some of the aftermarket fully processed.

So far, so good..........

👍

1 minute ago, HOGRIDER said:

Sarge:  Thanks for that reminder!

I did give them a thorough check by individually gauging along with dropping in the Hundo.

Also going to try a few, new Starlines along with some of the aftermarket fully processed.

So far, so good..........

👍

👍

On 6/6/2020 at 2:57 PM, Thetimb said:

Will this work on a mark7 funnel?

Why would you want to? You have plenty of stations, no? Doesn’t make sense to expand in the powder station unless you have to. Expander die are even cheaper than this part. 

Edited by DJRyan13

I’m super new to reloading, but already the cases getting stuck on the funnel is annoying me. On the suggestion of a member in another thread I ordered an Alpha Dropper... I know it might not cure it completely, but if it even noticeably helps while still belling and allowing bullets to drop onto cases the same, it will be worth it...

It is interesting that some have significant issues with the MBF funnel while others not so much.

I'm in the "not so much" camp. 

I've had minor issues but nothing that a fairly limited amount of polishing didn't clear up.

I wonder why so much variation in results.

1 hour ago, ddc said:

It is interesting that some have significant issues with the MBF funnel while others not so much.

I'm in the "not so much" camp. 

I've had minor issues but nothing that a fairly limited amount of polishing didn't clear up.

I wonder why so much variation in results.

Because people won’t try adjusting technique before just throwing money at it. As I have told many who complain of the problem,” just power through it”. Generally the response is that it works! I had my neighbor over and he wanted try reloading. First thing he said was,”I think I broke it”, when it stuck. I told him power through up stroke just like downstroke. Within a few pulls he said he really didn’t notice it anymore. 

Had the same problem with 40 sticking too.  Ordered the Mighty Armory taper die, stuck it in position 2 use that to bell and backed powder funnel off to just drop powder.  Best money I’ve spent no more sticking and the bullet has a positive set In the case and doesn’t fall over or move when cycling.  Can hpost video to show bullet doesn’t even wiggle if you want to see. 

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

Because people won’t try adjusting technique before just throwing money at it. As I have told many who complain of the problem,” just power through it”. Generally the response is that it works! I had my neighbor over and he wanted try reloading. First thing he said was,”I think I broke it”, when it stuck. I told him power through up stroke just like downstroke. Within a few pulls he said he really didn’t notice it anymore. 

I hear ya on the “just power through it” mantra, that holds true in many aspects of life, not just reloading lol 😆 But, at the same time, at least for me, I’m not just throwing money at a problem either... I’ve only been reloading for like a week and it’s already become apparent that some tools are better for the job than others; a perfect example is the MBF funnel compared to the stock Dillon funnel: I don’t know much, but it only took me about 5 minutes to see that the MBF funnel works way better and is a superior design...

Now judging by all the threads floating around about cases getting hung up and/or stuck on the funnels (whether Dillon or MBF) and what I’ve seen for myself in a short time, if the dudes at SSI have really come up with a further developed design that improves on the MBF funnel, and it works, then I’m alright with taking the small bet on it. 
It might suck, I don’t know yet, but I’m all about using the best/latest design if I can. I mean I’m pretty sure they didn’t design it to stick any more, at least I hope hahaha 😂 

Edited by ck1

1 hour ago, ck1 said:

I hear ya on the “just power through it” mantra, that holds true in many aspects of life, not just reloading lol 😆 But, at the same time, at least for me, I’m not just throwing money at a problem either... I’ve only been reloading for like a week and it’s already become apparent that some tools are better for the job than others; a perfect example is the MBF funnel compared to the stock Dillon funnel: I don’t know much, but it only took me about 5 minutes to see that the MBF funnel works way better and is a superior design...

Now judging by all the threads floating around about cases getting hung up and/or stuck on the funnels (whether Dillon or MBF) and what I’ve seen for myself in a short time, if the dudes at SSI have really come up with a further developed design that improves on the MBF funnel, and it works, then I’m alright with taking the small bet on it. 
It might suck, I don’t know yet, but I’m all about using the best/latest design if I can. I mean I’m pretty sure they didn’t design it to stick any more, at least I hope hahaha 😂 

It’s worth it. Cured my 40 cases sticking on the mbf. I did everything I could to the mbf to get it pretty good. And sarge is right just power through it and you really don’t notice. But on my new rl 1100 you notice it more than on my 1050 so for 40 bucks I have the alpha dropper a shot. It’s worth the money. It cured the problem 100% when loading 40 on the 1100. The press is smoother not having the pop of the case sticking. I have no issues with seating bullets either. Just adjust it to the least amount of flare possible to get the bullet to stay on case. I measured my flare when using the mbf and jyst set the alpha to those measurements. 

19 hours ago, ck1 said:

A visual comparison for the 1050/1100 users.............

1462667517_PowderFunnelDims.png.ed86b723c37c296a53618110af53deca.png

6 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

A visual comparison for the 1050/1100 users.............

1462667517_PowderFunnelDims.png.ed86b723c37c296a53618110af53deca.png

I’ll be using it on a 750 (shouldn’t really matter)... Can totally see that the “nose/mouth” is a different shape which is what I hope helps, but kinda wondering why they made it so much longer?

On 7/17/2020 at 12:45 PM, ck1 said:

I’ll be using it on a 750 (shouldn’t really matter)... Can totally see that the “nose/mouth” is a different shape which is what I hope helps, but kinda wondering why they made it so much longer?

My guess would be copyright issues. Plus I’d want mine to look different also

i can tell you this black coating is slick as whale s$&t. 

1 hour ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

My guess would be copyright issues. Plus I’d want mine to look different also

i can tell you this black coating is slick as whale s$&t. 

I spoke to SSI briefly the other day and they said it’s longer in order to change the timing of the powder drop a bit.

Mine showed up this morning and you’re right about the coating, it is slick as s**t lol. Overall the part is perfectly machined and clean. It also seems to be hard as s**t too, which is what the gentleman at SSI pointed out when we spoke; he said one of the main things they were trying to improve upon is the overall durability of the funnel, as high volume loaders tend to wear out softer funnels like the MBF funnel and that makes them behave worse over time... this isn’t something I have any personal experience with at this point because I’ve just started my reloading journey, but is something I’m sure guys who’ve been pumping out thousands and thousands of rounds and wearing out funnels will appreciate.

That said, I hate to be “that guy”, but after setting it up in my press (XL750) I ended up pulling it right out and reinstalled my still-new MBF funnel... In my press, backing off the die-body 5 full turns as per the instructions (9/38 funnel) from where I had the MBF funnel wasn’t real close; I had to turn the die-body back down about 3 full turns from there to get in the ballpark of where I’d had my MBF funnel set. Then I had to come back down a bit more from there to get it to where there was enough flare to accept bullets without having them topple (ending up with a flare around .382-.385 depending on the case, about the same flare setting I was running the MBF funnel). Thing is, and this might just be me being unlucky and/or my specific press, but this had the Alpha Dropper sticking down further than where the MBF funnel would sit and actually below where my sizing/decap die rides, so with an empty shell-plate while sizing a single case the Alpha Dropper would actuate the powder measure a little bit... With a full shell-plate in the middle of a run I doubt this would be a big deal, but I just didn’t like the look/feel of it and there’s a chance it might add to my powder measure leaking powder when running single cases now and then (and I haven’t been at this long, but I can already see that the Dillon powder measure doesn’t need any help leaking as it’s already pretty good at doing that on it’s own lol). Also, and I only had the Alpha Dropper in my press for like 5 minutes so take that into account, I only ran about 10 or so cases through it once I had it adjusted down enough to flare correctly and still experienced a few cases sticking just as they would with the MBF funnel... YMMV.

So, long story short, doesn’t look like it’s going to work for me. I contacted SSI about doing a return because seriously the thing doesn’t even look like I took it out of the package, but if they won’t except it, you’ll probably see it in the classifieds section...

Edited by ck1