Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 Legion accuracy

Cavy

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Nuncles said:

Yes, multiple FS.  Maybe I just got a bad one.

Maybe. But you're obviously not the first person to bitch about the Legion.

Kind of glad now that I stuck with the original X5.

16 minutes ago, ddc said:

Maybe. But you're obviously not the first person to bitch about the Legion.

Kind of glad now that I stuck with the original X5.

+1

I thought about finding an X5 upper but I like a direct mount optic and I'm not the biggest fan of the Romeo 1.  I've heard nothing but good things about the original X5 but to me, the FS is more than adequate.

13 hours ago, Nuncles said:

I gave up on my Legion and just went to the full size.  I hadn't chrono'd VN320 out of the Legion but out of my FS, I got 134PF with 4.3 gr of VN320 at 1.12 OAL, Rocky Mountain 124 TC (jacketed) bullets, and Federal Match primers.  132PF with Fiocchi primers.

@Nuncles  Based on the little data I have so far, I think I'm going to be close to 4.4g N320 @1.080" with the Zero 125g JHPs to get close to ~137PF.  Going to ladder with 4.2 - 4.4g for now......

Thanks for your feedback!

👍

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

In testing I did not find my X5 any better or worse than the Legion versions.  I have two X5s.  

I would think that there has to be some decent shooting Leigons out there.

Both of my regular Xfives will group just a hair over an inch, at 25 yards with 124 gr jhps and VV320🤔

5 minutes ago, RH45 said:

will group just a hair over an inch, at 25 yards with 124 gr jhps and VV320

You had some exceptional X5s then.  My regular X5s did not shoot those groups at 25 yds.

There is a caveat to this.  They were never shot in stock form at these distances.  Always changed out the recoil spring and the guide rod.  So maybe this could possibly create some inaccuracy?

LCI barrels or non LCI barrels with your regular X5s?

Edited by Boomstick303

3 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

You had some exceptional X5s then.  My regular X5s did not shoot those groups at 25 yds.

There is a caveat to this.  They were never shot in stock form at these distances.  Always changed out the recoil spring and the guide rod.  So maybe this could possibly create some inaccuracy?

LCI barrels or non LCI barrels with your regular X5s?

I switched both to guide rods. I think one is a “fat” rod, and the other is tungsten. I believe LCI

7 minutes ago, RH45 said:

I believe LCI

I will have to go back and retest the LCI barrels.  I wonder if that is the difference.  I might have tested one of the X5s that did not have an LCI barrel.  It was the updated Non LCI barrel.

4 hours ago, Rich406 said:

The original X5 didn’t come with a lci barrel

I believe you are referring to the silver barrels from their 1st generation. Then, they went to the black/blued ones, which is what both of mine are.🤔

2 minutes ago, RH45 said:

I believe you are referring to the silver barrels from their 1st generation. Then, they went to the black/blued ones, which is what both of mine are.🤔

The original x5 never had an lci barrel, no matter the color. The x5 legion had a lci barrel for the first 6 months or so.

5 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

The original x5 never had an lci barrel, no matter the color. The x5 legion had a lci barrel for the first 6 months or so.

I must of had it backwards.  I did get my first Legion in the first 6 months.  Then I have an original X5 barrel in one of my Legions because I switched the barrel to get rid of the LCI barrel to prevent getting carbon on my RDS.  Still groups the same are the second Legion I bought.

10 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

My mistake 

I thought that the original, silver barrels were different.

Although they don’t shoot nearly as accurate as my old STIs, the two I own are the most accurate, factory, striker fired pistols that I have ever shot. My M&P Pro, with the gunsmith fit Apex barrel isn’t much more accurate.

My legion came with the LCI barrel. I sent it to sig complaining about carbon on the red dot and they replaced it no charge with a non lci barrel. I also have reduced power recoil springs and after market tungsten guide rod for all the testing I have done and discussed on this thread.  

• 5 weeks later...

Shots were 10 yards from pistol shooting rest.

I did a 2nd round of 5 shots using Blazer 124gr.  Group size was a little over an inch and basically the same hole.  Really a night and day difference.  Unfortunately, I can't post a picture of the target here due to exceeding file size limits on this post.

Edited by KimchiSnob

15 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I wouldn't be happy with that at 10 yards. 

The Blazer 124gr target was much better. I tried to link photos of the other target from my Google Photos and iCloud accounts, but the forum won’t let me post them. 

4 hours ago, KimchiSnob said:

The Blazer 124gr target was much better. I tried to link photos of the other target from my Google Photos and iCloud accounts, but the forum won’t let me post them. 

Your results seem to support other reports that the Legion barrel is much happier with 124gr than it is with 147gr (or in this case 150gr).

Edited by ddc

7 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I wouldn't be happy with that at 10 yards. 

@Racinready300ex@Boomstick303@ddc

I totally agree that is poor accuracy at 10 yds..............

I did some extensive testing with the MAX in a Ransom Rest today, and the amount of variance as to where the dot (barrel) settles from shot to shot, just really had me SMH in disbelief!  

Shooting two different Zero 125g and the V1 PD 124, I just had very poor results running them at an "estimated" 136-137PF!  Definitely had better results from a previous test using the same bullets running at 139-140PF.

Everything I've tested, so far, has had at least 1-2 "flyers" that ruin an otherwise very good group.

I'm truly glad that the MAX is going in for a Bar-Sto Match Grade/Gunsmith Fit barrel next month.  After coming from an STI, then the S2 Orange, this P320 is way too erratic in the shot-to-shot lockup...........

😳

2 hours ago, ddc said:

Your results seem to support other reports that the Legion barrel is much happier with 124gr than it is with 147gr (or in this case 150gr).

It’s more a difference between coated and fmj. At least in this case.