Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shot a match. had some problems. still had fun

Damn, that sucks. You think most of those failures were due to the Wolf primers? I’m assuming those were small rifle since I’ve never seen Wolf small pistol personally and you’re shooting open?

I used some Wolf primers for my 223 for a little while, and didn’t have any problems in probably 3-4K, but again, that in a rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Damn, that sucks. You think most of those failures were due to the Wolf primers? I’m assuming those were small rifle since I’ve never seen Wolf small pistol personally and you’re shooting open?

I used some Wolf primers for my 223 for a little while, and didn’t have any problems in probably 3-4K, but again, that in a rifle.

Well the wolf primers were probably 5 years old or so....so yea thats what im banking on. I loaded up on cci primers the other day so once i get more loaded with those ill be able to tell if it was the primers or not

5 years isn’t old at all. Age is probably not the problem. Unless there were storage issues. 

I have CCIs more than 20 years old that work fine. 

I would agree with this. The Wolf primers I used I bought at a gun show and was told those were 20+ years old as well. If I had to guess they’re probably a much harder cup and firing pin spring wasn’t strong enough to get a good strike on them.

14 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I would agree with this. The Wolf primers I used I bought at a gun show and was told those were 20+ years old as well. If I had to guess they’re probably a much harder cup and firing pin spring wasn’t strong enough to get a good strike on them.

how do i diagnose that?

how do i diagnose that?

I don’t know much about 2011s since I don’t have one and just bought my first 1911 a couple months ago, but I know when I was having this problem in my Glock I was able to switch out springs making the firing pin hit the primer harder. The easier way will be to do what you’ve already done and try different primers. I think Iv heard that federal are the softest and easiest to ignite, but I just got some for the first time so I can’t confirm/deny. Iv never had a problem using CCI though in my glocks, cz, or 1911

Wow. Can't imagine how frustrating that must have been. Hell, I wanted to throw my phone across the room just watching it. Incredible patience on your part to keep shooting. I would have left and had a beer.... or 5.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Could be a number of things. Check for high primers first, as mentioned above. 

I bought a used 1911 for cheap that did this. Mainspring was way too short. Swapped it and no more trouble. 

Contaminated primers, or brass (wet, from wet cleaning and inadequately dried) might do it. 

I’d suggest an extended firing pin but even a standard length one should be working way better than that. 

1 hour ago, anonymouscuban said:

Wow. Can't imagine how frustrating that must have been. Hell, I wanted to throw my phone across the room just watching it. Incredible patience on your part to keep shooting. I would have left and had a beer.... or 5.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

you know after you leave 13 steel standing in one stage, you can pretty much assume the rest of the match is just for fun...lol

I have a long way to go so i figured more practice is always good!

Pencil test for firing pin hit:  Drop a pencil (better yet a plastic pen small enough and solid enough) down the barrel, eraser-end first (unload the gun first, duh).  Fire at ceiling.  The pencil should launch at least a couple feet, preferably more.

Can't imagine a built open gun without an extended firing pin. There would have to be a good amount of water in the brass to cause no detonation at all, I had some rounds about a month ago I must not have let dry long enough that acted more like squibs or just real low powered rounds, luckily all lead still cleared the barrel and the rest of the rounds from that session went to the practice lot. I'd lean towards primers not seated deep enough as the most likely cause. Inspect your loading process and load up some extras to do a bit a testing prior to the next match, it sucks being at a match with those issues, I know the feeling. Good luck!

I've used Russian primers for past decade in my TruBors, and they work fine.

Even high primers fired, if they weren't so high they wouldn't fully chamber.

Just bought a used CK Open gun, and it won't fire the Russian primers all

the time - most of the time, but not always.  Maybe 5% failures.

Slightly high primers are a part of the problem, but the spring is lighter weight

so it won't set them off all the time.

Just switched back to WW primers, and all is well.   Or, I could have put in

a heavier spring.  I decided to stay with the lighter spring and use WW's.

38 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I've used Russian primers for past decade in my TruBors, and they work fine.

Even high primers fired, if they weren't so high they wouldn't fully chamber.

Just bought a used CK Open gun, and it won't fire the Russian primers all

the time - most of the time, but not always.  Maybe 5% failures.

Slightly high primers are a part of the problem, but the spring is lighter weight

so it won't set them off all the time.

Just switched back to WW primers, and all is well.   Or, I could have put in

a heavier spring.  I decided to stay with the lighter spring and use WW's.

In my new to me used CK Hardcore open gun I tried S&B SRP and it would not fire them reliably. I know they were not set high. Double checked. Fired about 75-80% of them. Went back to CCI with no problems. The S&B SRP worked in my STI DVC.  

gerritm

11 hours ago, HCH said:

Bad primers do happen. Did you pick up any that didn’t go off and try them again?

Yes, re-shot a couple and it took at least 1 or 2 more tries to fire them. 

gerritm

On 3/15/2020 at 1:31 PM, Norther said:

Could be a number of things. Check for high primers first, as mentioned above. 

I bought a used 1911 for cheap that did this. Mainspring was way too short. Swapped it and no more trouble. 

Contaminated primers, or brass (wet, from wet cleaning and inadequately dried) might do it. 

I’d suggest an extended firing pin but even a standard length one should be working way better than that. 

Used gun I am seconding the mainspring housing spring is week or was changed to such a light weight that it only sets off a certain primer. I replace mine every 2 years on my comp guns. On 9mm I like at least a 17 lbs spring maybe a little more depending on the gun but it is tuned to my load only.