Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Old

gino_aki

There have probably been a lot of threads started like this one, so sorry if this is "old hat" but I'm feeling a bit put out at Old Man Time. Oboy, I'm doing it aren't I? Throwing in all the lame "old" references. 

Anyway, age related physical issues have contributed to my not really shooting a match since last year's state match and I sucked at that one, too. I mean, REALLY sucked. And the old bod just hasn't recovered since then and seems unlikely to on account of the issues actually getting worse no matter what I try to do to remedy them. I never thought I'd have to give up active competition this early.

Waiting on summer to get here and if I can't even go surfing anymore on Maui's south shore I may just give up and pack it in already. Had to give up winter surf because I just didn't feel confident enough to charge anymore...nevermind not being able to get down the cliff at Honolua. What I wouldn't give to be able to be transplanted into a twenty-three year old clone body. Oh, well. Stay in the present, guys, the future will arrive to kick you in the butt soon enough.

A hui hou,

Skye

Last month, my friend's wife found him dead on the floor. He was 61. Embrace each day as you may not have another...

And yeah, this has turned into a discussion so let me turn this around by saying I HATE that no one gets out alive....

5 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

It beats the alternative...

I'm not entirely convinced that is true. I eat more pills in the morning than Cap'n Crunch, My joints sound like Rice Crispies when I get out of bed,  and I hurt. All the time. Everywhere. If Didn't have such a high pain threshold, I would have chucked the pills and let nature take it's course a long time ago.

• 3 weeks later...

I do like the Dylan Thomas poem.  Quite appropriate. 

On the downside, having windsurfed Maui many times I can understand your feelings about surfing.  

My board skills are nowhere near what once was. 

On the upside,  my skiing technique is still excellent.

I joined the cult--CrossFit.  It has been an amazing transformation these past 4 years.  I cut out a lot of bad foods.

I like the mobility of Yoga.

My overall fitness  has improved dramatically.  

So.. do not go gentle into the night.  

• 6 months later...