Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak/Strong hand shooting

REHChief

thumbnail_20200228_153210_001-1.thumb.jpg.d3326707a855d666d6bef2a1ae0c3a85.jpg

As someone who is a somewhat new (D Class Lim) shooter, I need some clarification on what I can do with my other hand/arm while shooting one-handed.  Rule 10.2.8 says "However, the competitor will be issued one procedural penalty per shot fired while: 10.2.8.2 Using the other hand to support the handgun, wrist or shooting arm while firing shots."  As you can see in the pic, my strong hand is above my weak hand's wrist so my "hand" is not the part of the body that is doing the supporting.  Is this legal?   Whether it provides an advantage is not the question - just to keep this forum from going all over the place :)  

A lot of good comments here but nothing rules based, which is kind of why I joined. THINKING that it isn't legal doesn't help anyone. KNOWING it isn't legal based on facts and USPSA rules do help!  Also TrackCage asked how it's going to help? Well, 2 hands are always better than one for stability the closer the gun. Putting your weak hand on your chest can't "stabilize" anything. Placing your hand on your chest keeps you from oscillating? Huh? Just seems weird to me. 

2 minutes ago, REHChief said:

Putting your weak hand on your chest can't "stabilize" anything. Placing your hand on your chest keeps you from oscillating? Huh? Just seems weird to me. 

I think we started putting a hand on a chest a long time ago because it kept you from doing two things. 1 sweeping your gun and 2 shooting yourself in the hand.

On 2/29/2020 at 9:26 AM, REHChief said:

A lot of good comments here but nothing rules based, which is kind of why I joined. THINKING that it isn't legal doesn't help anyone. KNOWING it isn't legal based on facts and USPSA rules do help!  Also TrackCage asked how it's going to help? Well, 2 hands are always better than one for stability the closer the gun. Putting your weak hand on your chest can't "stabilize" anything. Placing your hand on your chest keeps you from oscillating? Huh? Just seems weird to me. 

Watch a newbie shoot strong hand only with his/her arm hanging at their side.  It rocks back and forth with recoil which moves the rest of their body along with the gun/sights.  

Like I said in my original post - I didn't want to talk about advantages or disadvantages.  I also do not think opinions are helpful here since we are getting off topic a bit. I just wanted to know if it was legal or not and what rule covers it :)

17 minutes ago, REHChief said:

Like I said in my original post - I didn't want to talk about advantages or disadvantages.  I also do not think opinions are helpful here since we are getting off topic a bit. I just wanted to know if it was legal or not and what rule covers it :)

If the instruction in the course description says strong hand only, weak hand only,  then no it is not legal. Your picture is strong/weak hand  supported.

It's illegal.  One procedural penalty for each shot fired that way.  Your other "hand" is actually considered your other arm from your shoulder to your hand.  Check 10.2.8 and 10.2.8.2 for clarification.  It took me all of about a minute to look that up.

8 hours ago, REHChief said:

What instructions?!?!? What are you guys talking about? Ugh nevermind. How do I delete this post....

The "hand" is defined in 10.2.8 and based on 10.2.8.2 I will give you one procedural per shot fired using that cockamamie stunt of a "grip" if you do that when I'm running the squad.

I bet you progress faster if you put as much effort into focused practice and studying the rulebook as you did in trying to game something that can't be gamed.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

On 2/28/2020 at 2:44 PM, REHChief said:

Whether it provides an advantage is not the question - just to keep this forum from going all over the place :)  

Nice try. 😂

You harries flashlight technique (sans flashlight) isn’t legal in IDPA or IPSC/USPSA. The strong arm/hand myst play no part in stabilizing the weakhand, or vice versa, during one-handed shooting.

Why? Because that’s the way the cited rule has always been interpreted. 

12 hours ago, REHChief said:

What instructions?!?!? What are you guys talking about? Ugh nevermind. How do I delete this post....

You have no idea that you have no idea, do you?

On 3/1/2020 at 7:56 PM, REHChief said:

What instructions?!?!? What are you guys talking about?

How about the Written Stage Brief?  It tells you important things like the stage procedure which might include target engagement restrictions such as "engage T1 through T3 strong hand only, perform mandatory reload, then engage T1 through T3 weak hand only"

You know, those instructions............

14 hours ago, REHChief said:

Wow guys thanks for warm welcome into this forum and website. 

SGT Shultz, thanks for the rule clarification. That was exactly what I was looking for.  As far as gaming and cockamamie stunt stuff - I never said I use that technique, you did. Everyone in here automatically assumes SO much. 

It was just a simple question looking for a simple answer back up with a rule. God damn guys. You all need to calm down! 

Why did you really ask the question? Did you look at the rule book? Do you shoot USPSA? 

• 3 weeks later...