Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a weighted plug legal in CO?

nelson1each

I shoot open so I’m not a CO rules expert. Searched and can not find anything that says no. Have a friend that is getting his new CO gun ready and asking if this plug is legal. Weighted glock plug. I feel that the answer is it is not legal but all the searching of the rules I can find say it is. Can I get a second opinion please? Thanks guys!

DB4A5B12-2B16-4EFB-9397-56A660F796D9.jpeg

Yes, legal provided the following is met. The appendices for carry optics in USPSA rules (#22.2) states that an external plug that fits flush with the heel of the grip (extends no more that .10") is allowed. Plugs that extend more than that below the heel of the grip are not allowed. And, yes, the weight limit of 45 oz. including an empty mag and optic still applies (#18).

4 hours ago, nelson1each said:

I shoot open so I’m not a CO rules expert. Searched and can not find anything that says no. Have a friend that is getting his new CO gun ready and asking if this plug is legal. Weighted glock plug. I feel that the answer is it is not legal but all the searching of the rules I can find say it is. Can I get a second opinion please? Thanks guys!

DB4A5B12-2B16-4EFB-9397-56A660F796D9.jpeg

Do you know where he purchased the weighted plug? 

Thanks for all the responses guys...My next question...is adding a weighted plug adding any sort of advantage or improvement? The reason I question this is if adding a weighted guide rod is a good would this plug not offset the improvement? Thanks again in advance 

On 2/29/2020 at 7:10 AM, nelson1each said:

Thanks for all the responses guys...My next question...is adding a weighted plug adding any sort of advantage or improvement? The reason I question this is if adding a weighted guide rod is a good would this plug not offset the improvement? Thanks again in advance 

The idea/theory/plan is to get non-moving parts heavier. The GR and weight in the grip work in tandem. 

• 3 weeks later...

2020 Rules increased the maximum    weight for both production and Carry Optics:    Yes,    59    oz.    with    optic    and    empty    magazine    inserted

ref Appendix D4/D7

• 5 weeks later...

I have the “thug plug”. I wouldn’t recommend searching lazily for that on the internet. It does feel nice but I had to take some material off of it to get the mags to drop free. 

I bought 2 thug plugs-one for each CO Glock.  Both required slight filing to reduce protrusion.  Also, one fits really nice and snug, the other is a bit looser.  Neither gun was new when I installed them, so the loose tolerance may be due to the frame.  I don't notice any difference in performance, but the slight movement in one is kind of annoying.  I also have both steel and tungsten guide rods, both captured.  The slightly heavier guns seem to be a little more enjoyable to shoot, but the added weight doesn't equate to better performance on drills or stage times for me.  

I used tungsten buddy, kids darby car stuff (Pinewood), and shaped it to fill the entire grip recess.  Brought the weight up from 2.4oz to 3.1oz and takes all the flex out of the grip.  I don't think it'll be easy to get out...

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a steel or tungsten plug that will work on the gen 4 with backstrap? The only ones I can fine only work without the backstraps.

• 3 months later...

I've also found you could use the flat car tire weights that come in 1/4 or 1/2 oz increments and put them in the cavity. As long as they don't show or extend below the bottom of the cavity you're good ( according to Troy). I'm going to check out the thug plug and the Carver brass insert. Unfortunately neither of them work with a backstrap but such is life

21 minutes ago, tha1000 said:

I thought they were killing all of gen 4. 

Probably the direction they want to go, but I heard only comparable models.  I'd like Glock to offer me a trade for a Gen 5 on each Gen 4 I have, lol.  Still like Gen 3 better.

From an email to Try yestarday

Troy McManus

9:26 AM (6 hours ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif
If you were to add weight to the "tunnel" in the grip of the Glock, it could not extend past the heel of the butt more than the rules allow a plug to extend, i.e., 0.1 inches.
Adding the weight is not illegal, extending it too much is.

Troy

17 minutes ago, vluc said:

Probably the direction they want to go, but I heard only comparable models.  I'd like Glock to offer me a trade for a Gen 5 on each Gen 4 I have, lol.  Still like Gen 3 better.

I’m all gen 5 at this point. Might be tempted in a gen 3 24 if I stumbled across one cheap

Edited by tha1000

• 5 months later...