Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to Carry Optics division

jcm

I have been shooting Single Stack since before it was a separate division. I am now wanting to try CO division and want to see what everyone else is using. I have it narrowed down to a Sig P320 X5 Legion topped with a Trijicon SRO optic stuffed into a RHT holster. How am I doing so far?  What magazine is everyone using? I am only finding Sig branded mags, are there aftermarket ones worth considering? What springs, followers, and base pads? What mag pouches are you using and how many?  I've seen and read the 2019 USPSA Equipment survey but wanted to find out what the rank and file were using. Photos if you can! 

Edited by jcm
To ask about mag pouches

Your setup sounds good so far. 

The 21rd mags with TTI or Springer +2 basepads and Grams spring and follower kit are popular.  I'm going with the 17rd mags with Henning +5 basepads but TTI and Springer also make +5 basepads. They hold 23 with the Grams spring and followers.  Any of those setups should do.  I didn't see a need to look beyond oem mags. 

I use the Double Alpha Racer mag pouches.  They're a good balance between features and price. Any pouches will do though so just but whatever looks cool and in your budget. 

There's plenty more content on this stuff if you search through old threads. 

4 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

I didn't care for the Springer base pads due to the way they secure with a set screw. Not as secure as other styles and requires a tool to take apart

I second this statement. 

Sounds like your heading in the right direction. The factory mags are pretty much the only option right now. I like the Taylor freelance +5 base pads they fit really good and are secure, the only downside is you need an allenwrench to take them off. I've tried the springer base pads and I really didnt like them they fit loose and the way they lock onto the mag is a really bad design. I like grams springs and followers they always worked good for me. I use 4 ghost 360 mag pouches the double alpha racer pouches are a great option too.

4 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Anyone have experience with the Henning basepads?

I tried the Springer and the Henning for my legion CO setup.  I have used Henning standard basepads on CZs, Glocks, and Sigs and love the quality. For Carry Optics I prefer the Henning Extended basepads with grams springs. I like how the henning is retained on the magazine and it is slightly lighter than the Springer. If I had it to do over again I would have ordered all Hennings and never tried the Springers. 

Thanks everyone for all the great help!

Are y’all using the same magazine set up for all of your gaming magazines? I’ve noticed some people say they keep a standard factory magazine for classifiers but then have your 21, 22, or 23 rounders for the rest of the match. 

How many mags are you carrying on your competition belt?

I just heard from my LGS. They are telling me their distributors show the 320 X5 Legion as “unavailable”. Anyone else experiencing this?  I’d really rather not patronize another store (and certainly NOT the big chain stores) as he does so much for the local community as well as the 2A in general. 

1 hour ago, jcm said:

Thanks everyone for all the great help!

Are y’all using the same magazine set up for all of your gaming magazines? I’ve noticed some people say they keep a standard factory magazine for classifiers but then have your 21, 22, or 23 rounders for the rest of the match. 

How many mags are you carrying on your competition belt?

I just heard from my LGS. They are telling me their distributors show the 320 X5 Legion as “unavailable”. Anyone else experiencing this?  I’d really rather not patronize another store (and certainly NOT the big chain stores) as he does so much for the local community as well as the 2A in general. 

I am all for loyalty.... To a point... I would struggle to wait months to get a gun from my LGS.... I am sure he would understand

Edited by zhunter

Oakhill guns has them he's a uspsa shooter and have him ship it to your guy so at least he gets some transfer money.

I've never been upset with a customer getting a gun I couldn't get for them.

It was when we had it in stock and on display and someone shipped the same new gun in that bothered me. FWIW