Practicalomaha

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, 2Alphamikenoshoot said:

What options did you go with? Any wild color scheme?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing crazy.  Ordered during Veterans day sale.  40 sight block and 9mm, 3 port barrels, black dlc.  Im a simple man.  

5 hours ago, Practicalomaha said:

I am with you. I can’t wait to get mine. Ordered one for 9mm open configuration. Still have another 6 weeks or so to go. 

Just curious, when did you order yours? I ordered my Race Shop 9 major gun right after Christmas (i know i missed the sale). 

13 hours ago, MVPFc said:

Since you know Paul personally, ask him what the issue with his Honcho was. 

I’m more interested in hearing your take on it.

We know the disconnectors were getting stuck in both guns, when sent from PT.  For both Paul and Stephen, it sounded like Phoenix Trinity was trying to convince them any fault with the guns was their ammo (it wasn’t).

If the 2nd spring in the Aftec fixed Paul’s gun - great.  But, why let a gun leave with too little extractor tension anyway?

Look, I’m glad there’s another fairly reasonably priced 2011 builder on the market making a quality gun.  

Inevitably, custom 2011s are going to have some things that are overlooked.  

They are usually easy fixes - rather if it’s extractor tension, ejector shape, mag feed lip tuning, or whatever.

But don’t come on a forum and act like it’s the owner’s fault in every case - is what I’m saying.  At least wait until you see the gun again before blaming the owner.

Edited by Whoops!

10 hours ago, Whoops! said:

I’m more interested in hearing your take on it.

We know the disconnectors were getting stuck in both guns, when sent from PT.  For both Paul and Stephen, it sounded like Phoenix Trinity was trying to convince them any fault with the guns was their ammo (it wasn’t).

If the 2nd spring in the Aftec fixed Paul’s gun - great.  But, why let a gun leave with too little extractor tension anyway?

Look, I’m glad there’s another fairly reasonably priced 2011 builder on the market making a quality gun.  

Inevitably, custom 2011s are going to have some things that are overlooked.  

They are usually easy fixes - rather if it’s extractor tension, ejector shape, mag feed lip tuning, or whatever.

But don’t come on a forum and act like it’s the owner’s fault in every case - is what I’m saying.  At least wait until you see the gun again before blaming the owner.

I think you may have your wires crossed or received miss information. Paul has never mentioned any issues with the extractor or feeding. We did have his gun in hand this week.He had a different issue which was caused by the outside leg of the sear spring being wedged between the sear and disconnector when he reassembled the gun. We fixed the issue, gave him some tips on how to avoid it in the future, provided him a brand new red magwell since he accidentally scratched up the one that was on it free of charge and sent it back to him. He sent us a very nice bottle of Knob Creek for our time and the new magwell.

On 2/6/2020 at 6:39 AM, Carry9shoot40 said:

Both MBX which the gun does not like and tuned Atlas STI gen 2 l. Only MBX it likes is I have one with Grams internals. Everybody says that the Mbx is the best but I’m not seeing that. 

Keep in mind that not every mag is created equal. They aren't made with a CNC machine. They are stamped  pieces of sheet metal, that get welded together and smoothed back out again. That's a pretty rough process. I'm sure they have a GO/NOGO gauge they have to pass, but theres still gonna be some give & take.

Yes I think MBX is made better than some, but that doesn't mean every single mag they make is exactly the same. I ordered 3 MBX mags to go with my HONCHO and 2 of them wouldn't drop free. But you just have to learn how to figure out where they're contacting the gun, and then make a small change to the mag where it is hitting. Many times it's not where u think it would be. I've found SV mags that drag on the very top left part of the mag where it contacts the left side of the frame in front of the mag release button, but MBX has already removed that portion of material.  

It could also be another part that's being contacted, such as the magwell. I like to check how my mags fit in a gun without a magwell, then if they all drop nice and easy, put the magwell on and check again. 

Also check the feed lips to be sure you didn't get an anomaly. I know people say there's no tuning needed on certain brand mags, but it doesn't hurt to check just to be sure. It also teaches you how to maintain your equipment better. Open shooters still should try to do a certain level of maintenance every so often. I check my feed lips at least twice a year.... At the beginning of the season & midway through. Mainly because I shoot allot, and abuse my equipment, and shoot quite a bit indoors so the hard concrete isn't very favorable to my mags. 

Some years I forgot or neglected to do that and didn't realize until AFTER a match that my "gun issues" were actually my fault for not checking something, and learned the hard way. 

But if you take a simple pair of digital calipers and measure the distance between the feed lips, looking at the mag from the back (bullets forward) I check the distance in 3 places ... The very back, the middle, and as far forward as possible. The numbers should fall somewhere between .355 & .365. (for 9mm ... I think .40 should be around .380 but I haven't shot .40 in awhile, so don't quote me on that)  And they should at least be equal, or get WIDER as they go forward. You don't want them to get narrower. That just sort of makes sense. Also I take a small "fine" or "extra fine" diamond file and take a few seconds to just go over them lightly again to remove any burrs, or sharp corners/edges. Then lastly if you have access to a buffer, I like to polish the feed lips, just as a final precaution. Nothing extensive, in fact it prob only takes 15 seconds on each mag to get good smooth shiny feed lips. 

It's just good insurance and ensures that the bullets come out Nice and easy. 

If you don't have the Dawson mag tuning kit, or at least the video that comes with that kit, look for that. There's also some really good videos out there on YouTube that explain how to keep your mags working 100%. 

Edited by Chris Keen

On 2/6/2020 at 9:38 AM, MVPFc said:

You should follow the advice you were given by the manufacturer which was to install the 2nd Aftec spring and report back. Changing loads, springs, and other parts all at once makes it difficult to determine the cause of an issue.

Im also curious to hear about this “rough fit” issue you reference.

Why did Paul do anything with the sear spring if his gun was working fine?

Didn’t you earlier in this topic say his ammo was too stout?

I have it on good information from people who looked at his gun prior to departure that the sear spring wasn’t fit right to begin with.

Could they be wrong?  Sure.  

But seriously, who here knows what Phoenix Trinity is and doesn’t know how to put in a sear spring?

Properly bending the legs in a sear spring with a brand new custom built gun?  I think I’d leave that to the manufacturer as well.

Some of my information may be wrong, but you repeatedly blamed the owner for stuff that wasn’t his fault in this thread. (2nd spring, stout ammo, and now sear spring)

36 minutes ago, Whoops! said:

Why did Paul do anything with the sear spring if his gun was working fine?

Didn’t you earlier in this topic say his ammo was too stout?

I have it on good information from people who looked at his gun prior to departure that the sear spring wasn’t fit right to begin with.

Could they be wrong?  Sure.  

But seriously, who here knows what Phoenix Trinity is and doesn’t know how to put in a sear spring?

Properly bending the legs in a sear spring with a brand new custom built gun?  I think I’d leave that to the manufacturer as well.

Some of my information may be wrong, but you repeatedly blamed the owner for stuff that wasn’t his fault in this thread. (2nd spring, stout ammo, and now sear spring)

You’re definitely confusing what has occurred. You’re friends with them. Speak to Paul if you’d like any more specific details. I’m going to enjoy my weekend and hope you do the same.

Let me clear the air a little and speak to my issues.  This is Paul by the way, who has been referenced a few times in this thread.  My initial issue was the problem (which has been mentioned in earlier post for this thread ) was around the disco, with the new coating it was very tight so debris got stuck and affected the trigger.  After we contacted PT, they immediately sent us (overnight) new disco that corrected the problem.  

My other issue I had was self induced.  While putting the gun back together (the lower) I had got my safety stuck and couldn’t remove it due to it getting hung up on the sear spring.  The center leg of the sear spring was wedged between the sear and the disconnecter and I couldn’t move the safety at all   I had sent the gun back to PT and they quickly turned it around once they fixed it. (1 DAY), Again that issue was self induced.   Also a separate issue, while lightly sanding the front strap (extra aggressive) I inadvertently rubbed some of red anodized paint off of my red magwell, really was bummed out about that as it was essentially brand new.  Without any prompting, Brian had replaced with a new one with our me even asking them to fix that, which was a really nice surprise and I thought really good customer service.

Today (Sat.) had a match with the gun and it ran flawless and I really enjoyed shooting it.  The gun shoots very flat and ran great.  Overall my experience has been very positive, and they were quick to correct any issues and even problems that were caused by me and not the gun.  

So that has been my experience so far with the gun, loving the Honco and they have addressed all my issues with a willingness to make things right for me.  That’s been much appreciated.  

51 minutes ago, PGGUNS said:

Let me clear the air a little and speak to my issues.  This is Paul by the way, who has been referenced a few times in this thread.  My initial issue was the problem (which has been mentioned in earlier post for this thread ) was around the disco, with the new coating it was very tight so debris got stuck and affected the trigger.  After we contacted PT, they immediately sent us (overnight) new disco that corrected the problem.  

My other issue I had was self induced.  While putting the gun back together (the lower) I had got my safety stuck and couldn’t remove it due to it getting hung up on the sear spring.  The center leg of the sear spring was wedged between the sear and the disconnecter and I couldn’t move the safety at all   I had sent the gun back to PT and they quickly turned it around once they fixed it. (1 DAY), Again that issue was self induced.   Also a separate issue, while lightly sanding the front strap (extra aggressive) I inadvertently rubbed some of red anodized paint off of my red magwell, really was bummed out about that as it was essentially brand new.  Without any prompting, Brian had replaced with a new one with our me even asking them to fix that, which was a really nice surprise and I thought really good customer service.

Today (Sat.) had a match with the gun and it ran flawless and I really enjoyed shooting it.  The gun shoots very flat and ran great.  Overall my experience has been very positive, and they were quick to correct any issues and even problems that were caused by me and not the gun.  

So that has been my experience so far with the gun, loving the Honco and they have addressed all my issues with a willingness to make things right for me.  That’s been much appreciated.  

Appreciate you updating everyone and explaining what happened.  As someone that has a honcho on order i am pleased to see the customer service was painless and they were prompt getting things corrected.  I especially am encouraged by them giving you another magwell.  Glad it ran flawless today.  

1 hour ago, PGGUNS said:

Glad they fixed your issue.  I meant Stephen when I said Paul before reference the extractor spring and stout ammo.  I got confused when Tiffany mentioned your name.  

I stand by everything else I’ve said.

I’ve used Stephen’s ammo before, it ain’t the issue.

Edited by Whoops!

I just want to clear the air. Tiffany and Brian at PT have been working on getting my gun 100% with my ammo and they have been successful. I let my emotions and frustrations guide my judgement. I appreciate them working on it and staying patient with me through that. They are serious when they say if something goes wrong they will always help you out. I think I was anticipating them just to leave me hanging like a lot of companies out there but they didn't. They are even fitting me a 38SC barrel for it which I'm excited to try. It has been a rough start with the gun but man was it fun when it ran and I'm excited again to shoot it again.  Anyone out there buying a Honcho that reads all this can feel confident that PT will have your back no matter what. Thanks Tiffany and Brian.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 9:33 PM, Carry9shoot40 said:

I just want to clear the air. Tiffany and Brian at PT have been working on getting my gun 100% with my ammo and they have been successful. I let my emotions and frustrations guide my judgement. I appreciate them working on it and staying patient with me through that. They are serious when they say if something goes wrong they will always help you out. I think I was anticipating them just to leave me hanging like a lot of companies out there but they didn't. They are even fitting me a 38SC barrel for it which I'm excited to try. It has been a rough start with the gun but man was it fun when it ran and I'm excited again to shoot it again.  Anyone out there buying a Honcho that reads all this can feel confident that PT will have your back no matter what. Thanks Tiffany and Brian.

Can you give us an update?  How's the gun running now?

2 hours ago, Carry9shoot40 said:

It’s still at PT. They are re-coating it. Should have it back in a few weeks or so. 

What coating is currently on it and why is it getting recoated? Thanks