Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tired of dust from crushed walnut

hiker88

I've been tumbling brass using crushed walnut with drier sheets + brass polish for years now and I'm ready to try a different media. I'm not too keen on doing wet tumbling and prefer to using my current set up.

What have you guys tried and tested...and what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

corn cob, get it from a feed store, maybe  a petsupply store as lizzard bedding.
Works perfectly fine, just use a little polish in it. Run it longer than you would walnut, but no dust to speak of..
Never used liquid, or steel pins, but really cant fathom the point of it or why bothering with the extra steps.

35 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

corn cob, get it from a feed store, maybe  a petsupply store as lizzard bedding.
Works perfectly fine, just use a little polish in it. Run it longer than you would walnut, but no dust to speak of..
Never used liquid, or steel pins, but really cant fathom the point of it or why bothering with the extra steps.

I don't thinks there's a feed store anywhere near me in Central Jersey. 😆😆😆 Let me check Amazon.

12 minutes ago, Balakay said:

I have dry tumbled with both walnut and corncob. There is dust with both. I resisted switching to wet for too long. 

FART, no pins,  cheap food dehydrator.

2.5 hours. Done. Minimal effort. 

Must resist....

...okay let me start my shopping list 😂

Edited by hiker88

12 minutes ago, Balakay said:

I have dry tumbled with both walnut and corncob. There is dust with both. I resisted switching to wet for too long. 

FART, no pins,  cheap food dehydrator.

2.5 hours. Done. Minimal effort. 

Same here... so much easier and the FART almost doubles the capacity of my corn cob tumbler. And no dry media can come close to cleaning as well as when I use the pins. I still use the corn cob occasionally to knock the lube off finished rifle rounds.

1 minute ago, hiker88 said:

Thanks, Sarge. I'm already using mineral spirits but might need to increase the "dosage". 

I have mine in an old dawn bottle and usually run a stream rapidly around the whole bowl. Probably 1.5-2 tablespoons. The lid and bowl will collect the brown sludge that would have been dust. I don’t do it every time. When I notice much dust then I hit it again.

27 minutes ago, Sarge said:

If you want to limit dust from walnut squirt a shot of mineral spirits in and let run five minutes before adding brass

I also add mineral spirits to the tumbling media.  Seems like it cuts the dust dramatically but I don’t have a way to measure dust in my shop.  Note that I also run a 20” box fan with a 20x20x1 furnace filter attached to the front of the fan right next to where I separate media and brass. I also use he box fan/filter while running the table saw and the router in the shop.  Moves enough air to capture a very high % of anything airborne. 

Edited by Rustygun

I buy a giant bag of corn cob from Grainger locally. Almost no dust. Works good last long time. Reasonable prices too. Especially if you work some place that gets a Grainger discount. Just ask em, you’d be surprised who all has discounted rates with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a Lyman media tumbler for about a year, but the dust was too much for me. Went to wet tumbling and never looked back. Really makes cleaning brass a breeze. Used the pins at first. Turned out to be to much clean up for the reward. No longer use them.  I still use a walnut media for bolt action rifle cases. 

I still use my vibratory tumbler and wet tumble, because of same issues as OP mentioned. Dust but also my cases had a film on them, which I didn’t really care for. If you don’t want a “FART” you can try your vibratory tumbler with warm water, dawn dish soap, and I put in about three sprays of brass juice (the case lube). I don’t use a dehydrator either, just put it on a towel and lay it over a register for my heating and air system. Cases are dry overnight, spray a bit more case lube on and start loading. My way may not be optimal, but it is easy, cheap, and works fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Sarge said:

If you want to limit dust from walnut squirt a shot of mineral spirits in and let run five minutes before adding brass

This takes care of the dust for me. Doesn't need it every time but maybe every 5-6 times I clean brass. A bonus is that is will clean the brass better. 

14 hours ago, hiker88 said:

I don't thinks there's a feed store anywhere near me in Central Jersey. 😆😆😆 Let me check Amazon.

You can pick some up at my house in millstone. I have 2 bags of lizard bedding.

I wet tumble

I have 2 of these you can have

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OQRGF2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by m700
more info