Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tired of dust from crushed walnut

hiker88

1 hour ago, Don_B said:

Another thing you can do is put dryer sheets or strips of paper towel in while you are tumbling. They will capture a lot of the dirt. 

That's what I do. Grab a couple used dryer sheets, tear them into strips, and drop in it.  They come out pretty dark, so they're clearly grabbing a lot of dirt and dust. 

That's what I do. Grab a couple used dryer sheets, tear them into strips, and drop in it.  They come out pretty dark, so they're clearly grabbing a lot of dirt and dust. 

My wife does A LOT of laundry so I just started saving all the used dryer sheets in a plastic grocery bag. Throw 4-5 in with tumble and works great.

I have the giant Harbor Freight Tumbler that has the screw on top so I don’t have an issue with dust while tumbling. The only time it’s an issue is the brass in the separator. I have exhaust fans in the garage so I either do it outside or turn the fans on when separating them media from the shells. Fans suck the dusty air right out.

1d7b13806875062558dd88781151fe7d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried the new corn cob media I ordered from the pet store (smelled really good 😜) with Nu Finish, mineral spirit and a drier sheet. After running the brass in my Dillon tumbler for two hours, the brass came out okay. Not as polished as using crushed walnut but there was much less dust when I was retrieving the brass.

I‘ll stick with the corn cob for now. 

Thank you for the recommendation. 🤓

1 hour ago, hiker88 said:

I just tried the new corn cob media I ordered from the pet store (smelled really good 😜) with Nu Finish, mineral spirit and a drier sheet. After running the brass in my Dillon tumbler for two hours, the brass came out okay. Not as polished as using crushed walnut but there was much less dust when I was retrieving the brass.

I‘ll stick with the corn cob for now. 

Thank you for the recommendation. 🤓

Walnut CLEANS brass and Corn POLISHES brass. It's a two step operation if you want really clean brass no matter how you do it. 2 hours with walnut then two hours with corn and polish. OR wet tumble for an hour and dry for an hour or two.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Walnut CLEANS brass and Corn POLISHES brass. It's a two step operation if you want really clean brass no matter how you do it. 2 hours with walnut then two hours with corn and polish. OR wet tumble for an hour and dry for an hour or two.

Sarge, for my brass, I’m perfectly fine with clean enough. 😜

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

Stainless pins do a nice job !!!

Stainless Pinned .223.JPG

I have to say I have begun to draw the line at using pins. Regardless of how refined my routine they just add too much work to the process. I just put a lot of brass in the fart and let in run for two hours with some FA solution.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

I have to say I have begun to draw the line at using pins. Regardless of how refined my routine they just add too much work to the process. I just put a lot of brass in the fart and let in run for two hours with some FA solution.

Have to agree with you on this. The time spent separating out the pins just seemed like a waste to me. I use a cleaner solution that a guy makes locally and some Lemishine (well water here at my place). Like you said, a couple of hours, rinse and drain, then I put a couple of thousand at a time into a DAA dehydrator (purpose bought for that job), spray some lube and put it in the bin.

Pins arent that bad once you get the process of removing them down.

I usually tumble 15 lbs brass/15lbs pins/2,5 gallons water for 2 hrs with dawn/lemishine

-drain as much water as possible

- I have a franford arsenal bucket top strainer dump the rest in there and rinse

- I use a dillon media seperator filled with water and spin 1/4 of brass at a time for 20-30 seconds and dump into a strainer

-brass in strainer rinsed again drained and put in dehydrator

- repeat until all brass is drying

This used to take 30 minutes or so but now i do it in about 5-10

Ive tried and brass juice a few times and results are pretty close to the same  but it does take a little more rinsing to get the soap off probably 4-8 minutes so not a huge time savings

• 1 month later...

I use the ground reptile bedding, cheaper than tumbler media. 1 teaspoon of spirits mixed with a squirt of liquid car wax in the mix every 10th, or so, load. Add a couple cut up used dryer towels and set the lamp timer for 5 hours. I've been doing this for years, probably 5 years with the same batch of media. No dust.