Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Red Dot for a new user

Tbafile

Lowest 90 degree mount for a revolver is Allchin. In a post awhile back I had included pictures showing the difference between a BMT and Allchin. 
And to answer gargoil66 you do not have to remove the sight from the mount to adjust. 

1 hour ago, revoman said:

Lowest 90 degree mount for a revolver is Allchin. In a post awhile back I had included pictures showing the difference between a BMT and Allchin. 
And to answer gargoil66 you do not have to remove the sight from the mount to adjust. 

Dean, could you repost the pictures?

On 1/16/2022 at 5:29 PM, BHBret said:

Those of you using a BMT kickstand and a C-More Slideride any recommendations on the color of the C-More? I’m toying with red to make the lens outline look like an eye catching ghost ring then I think it should be black so it’s less noticeable. Just don’t know.

I've used a few different color C-mores, including trying a gray one for that reason.  I found it made no difference if I was focusing downrange as you should, so use whatever color you like the looks of and drive on.  

On 1/17/2022 at 8:43 AM, gargoil66 said:

BB: 

One thing for sure is I learn something here every day.  Never thought anyone would mount a dot sight on a revolver at a 90 degree to get it lower.  Windage adjustments must be kind of a PITA because a guy would have to remove the sight from the mount, adjust, and return to see if the adjustment was right.  

GG66

I wish I knew what you were talking about?  I put the 90 degree Allchin mount on, stuck the CMORE Slideride on and discovered it shot dead on target.  I mean -zero- adjustment.  Not like my open 2011's.  The smith said he roughly sighted the slideride.  Like not hitting the target rough.  Took about 25 minutes to sight it in.

I left my front sight on my 929.  I did have to remove some material to get the slideride to fit on.  I remember reading that Dean posted something about it, I just don't remember exactly what it was.

On 1/17/2022 at 6:43 AM, gargoil66 said:

Windage adjustments must be kind of a PITA because a guy would have to remove the sight from the mount, adjust, and return to see if the adjustment was right.  

You can access the windage screw from "beneath" the sideways optic. It's the same setup as the 90-degree mounts for 2011's (to the best of my knowledge).

To answer the "which red dot for a newbie" question from literally two years ago... I highly recommend the Holosun 507c with ACSS Vulcan reticle. It's a micro-dot with solar backup, shake-awake tech, and has been very sturdy in my experience. The Vulcan is a great reticle for newbies because it sort of acts like training wheels. When you have the delta centered in the glass, it just looks like a v-dot (kinda like a Deltapoint). If you're off-center at all, you'll see the edges of a huge red circle that show you which way you're misaligned. It's been helpful for me since I hardly ever shoot dots.

image.png.8652ee9f2b42e790072e2e358ce93fe7.png

7 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

I wish I knew what you were talking about?  I put the 90 degree Allchin mount on, stuck the CMORE Slideride on and discovered it shot dead on target.  I mean -zero- adjustment.  Not like my open 2011's.  The smith said he roughly sighted the slideride.  Like not hitting the target rough.  Took about 25 minutes to sight it in.

I left my front sight on my 929.  I did have to remove some material to get the slideride to fit on.  I remember reading that Dean posted something about it, I just don't remember exactly what it was.

MS:

Revoman understood what I was saying and commented that you do not have to remove the sight to adjust the windage.  Surprising to me with the windage side down on the mount.  Will have to look closer at the pictures.  

I believe the OP was wondering if he could use the C More as a ghost ring sort of rear sight so was asking what color would be best for the sight.   

Since you have kept your front sight on your revolver, maybe you can answer.  I would doubt it but stranger things have happened.

Oh yes, you are a lucky guy that you do not have to adjust zero on one of those.

GG

Edited by gargoil66

Windage is adjusted using the elevation screw since it's now ln the 90 degrees mount.  The sight windage screw is not directly over the barrel so you can easily adjust it for elevation.  Before I installed my 90 degrees mount I too wondered how it would work but there is no problem.

Just now, AzShooter said:

Windage is adjusted using the elevation screw since it's now ln the 90 degrees mount.  The sight windage screw is not directly over the barrel so you can easily adjust it for elevation.  Before I installed my 90 degrees mount I too wondered how it would work but there is no problem.

AZS:

Roger, I understand that part of it.  

And now I got it about being able to adjust it when mounted.  Enough clearance so a guy can get an allen wrench in there.  

Couldn't see it in the pictures or on the web site.

Interesting concept.

GG

3 hours ago, matteekay said:

To answer the "which red dot for a newbie" question from literally two years ago... I highly recommend the Holosun 507c with ACSS Vulcan reticle.

It is a very cool reticle, but it has a small quirk: if you turn up the brightness enough for it to bloom, the point of impact moves: bloom makes the chevron bigger, which moves the tip of the chevron higher up.

Not even remotely a reason not to buy one, but something to keep an eye out for if you do.

3 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

It is a very cool reticle, but it has a small quirk: if you turn up the brightness enough for it to bloom, the point of impact moves: bloom makes the chevron bigger, which moves the tip of the chevron higher up.

Not even remotely a reason not to buy one, but something to keep an eye out for if you do.

Good callout. I haven't experienced that, but I've only run it indoors so it's nowhere near max brightness.

6 hours ago, matteekay said:

Good callout. I haven't experienced that, but I've only run it indoors so it's nowhere near max brightness.

Matt:

Yes, and that's why I avoid chevron sorts of reticles.   As the chevron gets bigger the brighter it becomes, and although it probably isn't a lot technically, it changes the image for the eye so the eye finds another point of reference to use for the shot.  And thus point of impact changes.

We experienced this with ACOGS that use a fiber optic across the top of the scope to channel light into the etched reticle.  Really raised hell with zeros so we covered the fiber optic with green tape and fixed that problem immediately.  

The same thing doesn't happen as badly with a dot because it is round and the shooter is using the center of the dot for sight picture.  The middle of a dot will always be the middle, no matter how big or small the dot appears.    

Begs the question though because I doubt it makes a lot of difference with the action shooting sports because of big targets really close.  My calculator doesn't have enough room for the numbers involved to figure out how many minutes a five inch circle is at five yards for example, so a chevron that changes size by two or three minutes due to brightness is insignificant.  Shoot it on a carbine at a hundred and a guy will notice it big time.  

I do not quite get the shading thing you mentioned.  That sight is a collimnator, correct?

GG66

1 hour ago, gargoil66 said:

Matt:

Yes, and that's why I avoid chevron sorts of reticles.   As the chevron gets bigger the brighter it becomes, and although it probably isn't a lot technically, it changes the image for the eye so the eye finds another point of reference to use for the shot.  And thus point of impact changes.

We experienced this with ACOGS that use a fiber optic across the top of the scope to channel light into the etched reticle.  Really raised hell with zeros so we covered the fiber optic with green tape and fixed that problem immediately.  

The same thing doesn't happen as badly with a dot because it is round and the shooter is using the center of the dot for sight picture.  The middle of a dot will always be the middle, no matter how big or small the dot appears.    

Begs the question though because I doubt it makes a lot of difference with the action shooting sports because of big targets really close.  My calculator doesn't have enough room for the numbers involved to figure out how many minutes a five inch circle is at five yards for example, so a chevron that changes size by two or three minutes due to brightness is insignificant.  Shoot it on a carbine at a hundred and a guy will notice it big time.  

I do not quite get the shading thing you mentioned.  That sight is a collimnator, correct?

GG66

Just when you least expect it some joker puts up a COF with head shots/tight shots at 20+ yards!  Or maybe 50 yard partials and 75 yard mini-poppers!

9 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Just when you least expect it some joker puts up a COF with head shots/tight shots at 20+ yards!  Or maybe 50 yard partials and 75 yard mini-poppers!

Yep -- tough shots and I doubt my revolvers and loads would hold the mini popper at 75.  Would have to turn down the brightness of the dot too, which isn't practical. 

I bet irons do OK though as long as there is a very sharp contrast between the popper and background.  

So, how did you do with such targets?

GG

12 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

Yes. It basically projects an oversized ring that's not visible unless the chevron is "off screen", showing you how to correct your aim.

8 minutes ago, matteekay said:

Yes. It basically projects an oversized ring that's not visible unless the chevron is "off screen", showing you how to correct your aim.

That is interesting.  Learn something here every day.  Thanks!

14 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

Yep -- tough shots and I doubt my revolvers and loads would hold the mini popper at 75.  Would have to turn down the brightness of the dot too, which isn't practical. 

I bet irons do OK though as long as there is a very sharp contrast between the popper and background.  

So, how did you do with such targets?

GG

Hit or miss 🤣, jeez I crack myself up! 

Had a club course decades ago where we ran a field course and at the end there were 3 full USPSA targets at 100 yards.  Went prone with my 'Comped 45 and nailed all 3 with no extra shots.  Then practiced the 75 yard Popper for an Area 3 and went to the match and whiffed misses, had to take the close option and ran closer.  Now my buddies who had practiced with me on it, nailed them with 1 shot each.  

All comes down to focusing on the fundamentals and not rushing. 

Usually I do well on them though.  Like so many I can shoot accurately, I can shoot fast, combining the two is the weak point.  Practice sure helps smooth that weak point out and extend the range at which the two meet.

21 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Hit or miss 🤣, jeez I crack myself up! 

Had a club course decades ago where we ran a field course and at the end there were 3 full USPSA targets at 100 yards.  Went prone with my 'Comped 45 and nailed all 3 with no extra shots.  Then practiced the 75 yard Popper for an Area 3 and went to the match and whiffed misses, had to take the close option and ran closer.  Now my buddies who had practiced with me on it, nailed them with 1 shot each.  

All comes down to focusing on the fundamentals and not rushing. 

Usually I do well on them though.  Like so many I can shoot accurately, I can shoot fast, combining the two is the weak point.  Practice sure helps smooth that weak point out and extend the range at which the two meet.

Well, I ought to see what my loads are doing past 25 yards.  SC spoils a guy.  No need for elaborate load testing.  Good enough really is.

Sounds to me like you are shooting accurately enough, fast enough.   Yep, go too far with one or the other and train wreck time.  Hard to slow down to recover in time too.

GG

On 1/23/2022 at 11:26 AM, gargoil66 said:

Well, I ought to see what my loads are doing past 25 yards.  SC spoils a guy.  No need for elaborate load testing.  Good enough really is.

Sounds to me like you are shooting accurately enough, fast enough.   Yep, go too far with one or the other and train wreck time.  Hard to slow down to recover in time too.

GG

The worst is switching between USPSA and ICORE!  In USPSA you can shoot fast enough to make up points, in ICORE it's not possible for us mortals.