Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Red Dot for a new user

Tbafile

I’m looking to dip my toe into the red dot pool and I am interested in hearing which red dot people are using, mount, and dot size (moa). I have a Smith 627 PC, and I shoot at a local range but may look into trying to branch out to USPSA matches. I’ve never shot anything with a red dot on it, and the main reason for heading this direction is that, as much as my pride hates to admit, my vision has begun to slide south. I currently have started using .5x safety glasses when shooting, and they certainly help focus and seeing the front sight sharply. That said, I wonder if a red dot wouldn’t help in this respect, and there aren’t many folks shooting wheelguns at my range and none with red dots. Any help would be appreciated. 

I also don't have the eyes I use to and have found the red dot to be the answer for me. I am a big fan of Holosun 510c. I have it on my open gun. I like Trijicon SRO to but it's more expensive.

I prefer 3MOA dots  for uspsa matches for me it's more accurate and I don't have a problem finding dot.. 

I shamelessly copied MWP for my wife’s open revo. BMT kickstand and c-more slide ride.  It dropped the bore axis so low the front red fiber iron backup sight caused her to see 2 dots, and was quickly cut out when it was discovered that was causing issues.  Can’t take credit for that, the trainer at the time found it out.

alchin makes a good mount with an RTS2 or sts2 or any optic I assume 

open revo in ipsc/uspsa?

MikeyScuba, does the c-more require an open top holster?  The lowest mounts I’ve seen while searching were the Alchin, but that looks slightly lower. I suppose this is an advantage to have it as close to the bore as possible?  

open revo in ipsc/uspsa?  I don’t really know. Still in investigation stages!  Thanks for what y’all have offered. 

We use the Alpha-X holster.

what I was suggesting open revo in uspsa/ipsc is a) rare and isn’t in any way competitive in a freedom loving state. In 10 round states it can be but a similar classed shooter will beat you with a bottom feeder open gun.

Not that you can’t have fun with it- just go in with eyes wide open.  My wife will shoot open revo  ipsc if I go there to shoot my 929 revo but we shoot icore mostly.  More fun, nicer crowd.

22 minutes ago, Tbafile said:

MikeyScuba, does the c-more require an open top holster?  The lowest mounts I’ve seen while searching were the Alchin, but that looks slightly lower. I suppose this is an advantage to have it as close to the bore as possible?  

The BMT kickstand mount that mikeyscuba is referring to isn’t only the lowest, it also allows you to see the front sight  in the event that you lose the dot. 

What mikeyscuba was saying in his first post regarding seeing both a red front sight and a red dot in the cmore is also a common problem. For your first dot on a revolver I would highly recommend the BMT kickstand, on the right side if you’re a right handed, right eye dominant shooter, and install any  front sight that isn’t a red fiber. 

1 minute ago, alecmc said:

i'm a fan of the alchin mount and c more rts red dots.

rs=w:600,h:300,cg:true

I'm working with one of those right now and I like it. I'm having to learn to find the dot though.  Trying to decide if the weight of CMore and 90 degree mount is worth it for Steel Challenge. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan454 said:

I also like the sideways C More sights and run an Allchin 90 degree mount.   I think it's a touch lower than the BMT but both are great options.  

I’m not seeing this on their site?

steel challenge....sigh....nobody bothers up here.  Shrouding steel is idiotic but rules are rules.

10 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

I’m not seeing this on their site?

steel challenge....sigh....nobody bothers up here.  Shrouding steel is idiotic but rules are rules.

It's an adapter that can be used with any of his upright CMore bases.  I've used it on an N Frame as well as a Ruger MK IV.

https://allchingunparts.com/products/90-degree-mount.html

Edited by Alaskan454

I've been using a Vortex Venom 6 mil Red Dot for 2 years, 1st year on a G34 for CO and the last year on a 627 with an Alchin Mount.  A buddy has a Sidewinder Mount on his 929 and I looked at it and didn't see much difference on the height but it did add a lot of weight.

I had a Delta Point Pro on a JP mount and didn't like the 7.5 mil triangle on a pistol, but love it on my VR80.

So my recommendation is a Vortex Venom 6 mil on an Alchin Mount.

Note especially when first starting out, leave the FS on and you can use it to help find the Dot on draws and WH/SH stages.  I like a FS height that does not show in the glass with the Dot centered.  But especially on SH/WH stages if the Dot isn't right there I can tip the FS into the window and then go straight down and the Dot jumps into view.

I'm about to get a new dot myself (I have 3 Burris FastFires and like them, but want something better) and am deciding between the Venom and the DPP. I think I'm leaning towards the Venom simply for the warranty. I'm not aware of any other big company (Leupold, Sig, Holosun) that has a 'forever' warranty and I don't want to risk having to replace a 4-600 optic every couple of years.

1 hour ago, mattmd1 said:

I'm about to get a new dot myself (I have 3 Burris FastFires and like them, but want something better) and am deciding between the Venom and the DPP. I think I'm leaning towards the Venom simply for the warranty. I'm not aware of any other big company (Leupold, Sig, Holosun) that has a 'forever' warranty and I don't want to risk having to replace a 4-600 optic every couple of years.

Doesn't the Burris have a lifetime warranty?

I personally like the C-More railway and the slideride.

You will likely need the warranty with the Venom.

It's no big deal for a recreational shooter. But i wouldn't want it to break in the middle of a stage at a major match.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, PatJones said:

You will likely need the warranty with the Venom.

It's no big deal for a recreational shooter. But i wouldn't want it to break in the middle of a stage at a major match.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have two Vortex red dots (Sparc and Strikefire) and they've been back to the factory 3 times between them.  Vortex has been great about it and even upgraded me to Gen2 on one of them for free but it still kinda stinks that I had to deal with it.

That being said neither of them has broken since the last trip back and I still use them.

All this talk about red dots and mounts gave me the incentive to install the BMT mount on my TRR8. Have been using the Alchin for a couple of years with cmore and thought i was ok.

I use side mounts on my IPSC open gun so i got one for my revolver. It certainly lowers the window compared to the Alchin. I'm a lefty but got the right side mount thinking the left one might get in the way during reloads. The only issue i see is the mount is very close to my belt, using Ghost race holster. 

1 hour ago, gwalia said:

All this talk about red dots and mounts gave me the incentive to install the BMT mount on my TRR8. Have been using the Alchin for a couple of years with cmore and thought i was ok.

I use side mounts on my IPSC open gun so i got one for my revolver. It certainly lowers the window compared to the Alchin. I'm a lefty but got the right side mount thinking the left one might get in the way during reloads. The only issue i see is the mount is very close to my belt, using Ghost race holster. 

Since you used both, is the lower window a major benefit vs the weight/bulk or just a minor one?

Were you right on the right side vs left side?

Took it out the other nite to site in and really didn't notice any great change in the weight of the gun. As it's scandium frame it probably more  on par with my 627 The big thing i did notice was the dot was high and a bit to the right of the still installed front site. I will probably mill down the brass site at some point.

Didn't get into any live reloads from the belt but being LH the side kick is very close to catching on belt during draw, will have to watch this. My holster is adjusted for ipsc/uspsa measurement so this can be changed for icore and thats all i have used this gun for.

• 2 years later...

Those of you using a BMT kickstand and a C-More Slideride any recommendations on the color of the C-More? I’m toying with red to make the lens outline look like an eye catching ghost ring then I think it should be black so it’s less noticeable. Just don’t know. I have have a right side Kickstand coming from BMT (based on MWP’s recommendation above in this thread).

I’m setting up a 929 for Steel Challenge and ICORE. 

PS - sorry for resurrecting an old thread. 

On 1/16/2022 at 3:29 PM, BHBret said:

Those of you using a BMT kickstand and a C-More Slideride any recommendations on the color of the C-More? I’m toying with red to make the lens outline look like an eye catching ghost ring then I think it should be black so it’s less noticeable. Just don’t know. I have have a right side Kickstand coming from BMT (based on MWP’s recommendation above in this thread).

I’m setting up a 929 for Steel Challenge and ICORE. 

PS - sorry for resurrecting an old thread. 

BB: 

One thing for sure is I learn something here every day.  Never thought anyone would mount a dot sight on a revolver at a 90 degree to get it lower.  Windage adjustments must be kind of a PITA because a guy would have to remove the sight from the mount, adjust, and return to see if the adjustment was right.  

To your question about color of the body of the C More to be used as a sort of Ghost Ring.   

Figured it out.  You are talking using the C More as a ghost ring for the front sight.  My mistake but I have met more than a few shooters who thought a guy had to center the dot in the middle of the screen for success.  

Having used Ghost Rings on pistols, shotguns, and carbines, I would say it can work if the ghost ring isn't too big and if the weapon can zero with the top of the front sight in the middle of the ghost ring.   It is probably better than no rear sight at all but that's about it.   Something tells me that even with the 90 degree mount for the C More that the center of the screen will still be very high in relation to a front sight so a guy would probably have to hold the top of the front sight really low in the screen.   That rarely works but anything is possible. 

I took the front sight off my revolver and have tried shooting it without the dot on, just in case I need to get through an event.  Kind of fun and just when it seems I have something, I don't.   

I would choose a body color that would not catch my eye and distract me when shooting. 

GG66

Edited by gargoil66