Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

15 hours ago, mpeltier said:

So, you feel forcing the shooter to load an empty or down loaded shotgun will resurrect 3-gun?

No, sorry I meant to say starting with a shotgun that is not fully loaded does not make sense to me.  Making the shotgun start position with the shotgun fully loaded and minimizing rounds used during a given stage means more shooting and less of a loading race. 

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

No, sorry I meant to say starting with a shotgun that is not fully loaded does not make sense to me.  Making the shotgun start position with the shotgun fully loaded and minimizing rounds used during a given stage means more shooting and less of a loading race. 

Completely agree, thanks for clarifying.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 9:32 AM, StealthyBlagga said:

While box fed shotguns have become more prevalent, I don't believe the decline in Tactical 3-Gun can be explained this way, at least not at our matches (Rio Salado, Mesa, AZ). Below is a chart of SMM3G participation since 2017. We introduced 2-Gun as an option in 2019 and the growth in its popularity seems to mirror closely the drop in Tactical 3-Gun participation. The other divisions look comparatively stable.

RhO8LJE.png

At 2019 and 2020 SMM3G I asked quite a few people who were shooting 2-Gun about why they switched from 3-Gun to 2-Gun.  

By far the most common answer was that it was easier to travel. That was especially true of people who flew to the match.

Although there were a few people who stated that they didn't like shotgun or liked rifle more than shotgun, it was clearly about traveling lighter for most competitors.

On 11/2/2019 at 5:33 AM, p7fl said:

The answer is 2 Gun.

The people who love shotguns are the same ones who like reloading revolvers.

As mentioned above, shottys are about reloading not shooting fast.

All our local matches have gone 2 gun. Everyone has a rifle etc. Setting up paper for 223 or pcc and either / or for pistols has brought in the regular shooters.

Dedicated outlaw shotgun matches would be an option.

I love shooting shotguns and reloading my Revo.

But i only shoot 2 gun now.  Shotguns in 3 G are just a PIA.  No fun.  

I like shooting my rifle and PCC.  

As an CRO/RO I get to see everyone's equipment which means reliability is key to any shotgun stage.  IMO matches with shotguns are won on reliability and reloads.  If you do not dedicate the same amount of time you spent reloading your pistol as you do your shotgun you will not be competitive.  At our last big match, I saw a 16 year old with smoking fast reloads that blew the big boys away.   Magazine feed shotguns rule most matches so reliability is an issue.