Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I Load Major?

Tophernj

I'm wondering if I should load 9Major.  

I'm running a Glock 19/3 with a comp.  Gun is running well and I'm not having any issues with cycling.  I'm shooting club level matches with no one checking speed/bullet weight.  I think I'm mostly looking for something "funner" to shoot, with a little more snap.  

Current load: 

124gn RMR JHP

5.2gn CFE Pistol

Thoughts?

What are you shooting?  USPSA what division?  If you're shooting limited, then maybe but with a G19?  I wouldn't load major.  With a comp, that puts you in open.  Again, it's a G19!  take off the comp if you want something snappier.

10 hours ago, Sarge said:

Run some 115’s and load a tad hotter but I agree do not go to major PF

I prefer the 124's as they shoot really well and give a solid smack on steel but would really like to know why I should NOT load 9Major?  Is it simply unnecessary?  Too much wear on the gun?  

Again, I'm mostly just thinking about trying it to try it.  But if y'all are saying no I would like to know why.  

#1  you have no idea what velosity your current load is.

#2 G19 not ideal for major it will work for a while but.

#3 you asked a yes/no question.

#4 there is more to loading major than just adding more powder.

What may be safe in one gun may make parts fly in another.

You have no idea what velosity your current load is .

So do you have a chrono?  Again there is more to loading major

than just adding more powder.

21 minutes ago, Tophernj said:

I prefer the 124's as they shoot really well and give a solid smack on steel but would really like to know why I should NOT load 9Major?  Is it simply unnecessary?  Too much wear on the gun?  

Again, I'm mostly just thinking about trying it to try it.  But if y'all are saying no I would like to know why.  

Well, even strong self defense ammo only makes around 155ish power factor in my guns. But my major loads run 175 power factor. So, no your G19 is not going to live long if you start feeding it major PF ammo.

You said yourself you wanted something more snappy. 115’s are more snappy than 124’s even in minor ammo. As far as hitting steel harder, that means nothing. If it falls it’s good. It can be argued all day about what drops steel better, a slow heavy bullet or a faster light bullet. So there you go

9 minutes ago, AHI said:

#1  you have no idea what velosity your current load is.

#2 G19 not ideal for major it will work for a while but.

#3 you asked a yes/no question.

#4 there is more to loading major than just adding more powder.

What may be safe in one gun may make parts fly in another.

You have no idea what velosity your current load is .

So do you have a chrono?  Again there is more to loading major

than just adding more powder.

I'm mostly a rifle shooter.  I'm just getting back in to handguns.  I have a solid understanding on what it takes to load "hot" loads.  
I do have a chrony, unfortunately it doesn't work well on handguns (MagnetoSpeed).  

Just now, Sarge said:

Well, even strong self defense ammo only makes around 155ish power factor in my guns. But my major loads run 175 power factor. So, no your G19 is not going to live long if you start feeding it major PF ammo.

You said yourself you wanted something more snappy. 115’s are more snappy than 124’s even in minor ammo. As far as hitting steel harder, that means nothing. If it falls it’s good. It can be argued all day about what drops steel better, a slow heavy bullet or a faster light bullet. So there you go

Thank you.  Much appreciated.  

8 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I've used Chrony's for decades to measure velocity of handguns - esp 9 mm,

and my results are very similar to chrono results at major matches.

I have a chrony.  Lower case.  I use the word chrony as short hand for chronograph.

Mine is a Magnetospeed.  Not a "Chrony" branded chronograph.  It does not work well on handguns.  

I have a chrony.  Lower case.  I use the word chrony as short hand for chronograph.
 Mine is a Magnetospeed.  Not a "Chrony" branded chronograph.  It does not work well on handguns.  

They make an adapter for handguns. I made one to hold it and rest the gun behind it. Just for when my regular chrono goes out

I've been shooting the NJ steel games at the clubs this year.  In the interest of doing well it seems to me the lowest PF that will reliably drop the big poppers is what you want.  My USPSA minor loads in my S2 work fine.  Being there are no PF rules and anything goes with just open (optics) and iron sight classes, I'm building a minor gun with a comp for this purpose.  If you just want to feel snap and/or more challenge managing recoil remove the comp. 

5 minutes ago, mwray said:

They make an adapter for handguns. I made one to hold it and rest the gun behind it. Just for when my regular chrono goes out

*This adapter is not compatible with some proprietary manufacturers' rails, or with Glock compact or sub-compact model pistols. Does not work with CZ models P-01, P-06, and 75D.

As per MS

No. If you want a snappier load take the comp off and shoot 115s.

I've seen a couple glocks crack their slides shooting major. People don't do it for fun, they do it for points. If you're shooting steel it's unnecessary and extra wear on the gun, assuming your gun can even handle it. Most modern pistols can shoot major PF for a little while, few can do it steadily. You need pretty close tolerances to prevent the gun from battering itself to death and I wouldn't trust that to exist in any pistol that wasn't hand-fitted.  Even Tanfoglios are known to eat locking lugs and they're ostensibly built for it.

Also you're new to loading for pistols. If you make a mistake and the glock detonates the forces escape down into your hands. Other models have a bit more protection and blow the hood out of the slide. Either ruins the gun, but one lets you come back next week.

Edited by belus
typo

4 hours ago, Tophernj said:

I'm mostly a rifle shooter.  I'm just getting back in to handguns.  I have a solid understanding on what it takes to load "hot" loads.  

With respect, if your understanding was that solid you'd already know the answer here. 9mm Major out of your G19 is way above +P pressure, and this is NOT the same as loading "hot loads" for rifles. IMO it's a bad idea for people new to this stuff to go straight to Major loads. 

59 minutes ago, Yondering said:

IMO it's a bad idea for people new to this stuff to go straight to Major loads. 

When I got my 9mm TruBor a decade ago, I was shooting factory ammo (Remington green box

at PF 127) in it - then I started loading hotter and hotter (carefully checking in with the BE universe)

until I got to PF 177 (then I backed back down to PF 172).

Got to go slowly, with chrono.   :) 

• 1 year later...

If you are determined to do it with a Glock, why not try a Glock 17 chambered in 9x21 (Bar-Sto) like I did using Vihtavuori data? Just don't expect it to hold up to 50k rounds.

I have since gone to the Glock 20; much more forgiving, but I doubt as long lasting as an all-steel gun with tight clearances.