Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX mag problems open ?

TANFARM

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

What's your new gun ?    What does the MBX's do wrong in the new gun ?   Any fix in sight ?

Bought a used 2011 custom no mags came with it. Seller recommended mbx, as per the seller, works for him out the box.  I was getting nose dives once or twice on a full mag.  No fix for now, probably will need some more break ins, will be keep them loaded for few more days. 

20191027_182102_compress68.jpg

I had an issue similar to Joey.  New custom gun with PT grip. Mix of old and new MBX mags. I would see 1-2 rounds per mag get caught up on the feed ramp and not get up into the chamber. I switched to the new STI mags and have had zero issues. All of the MBX mags run great with zero issues in my trubore

I think the difference and the issue lay somewhere with the differences in how high the mags sit in the gun. Some how the mag release, release holes on the mag, and the ramp are just not in alignment with that configuration when I use MBX. When I compare the two it is clear the MBX mags sit a little lower and they do not present the bullet nose at the same angle. 

4 hours ago, Jaycwebb said:

I had an issue similar to Joey.  New custom gun with PT grip. Mix of old and new MBX mags. I would see 1-2 rounds per mag get caught up on the feed ramp and not get up into the chamber. I switched to the new STI mags and have had zero issues. All of the MBX mags run great with zero issues in my trubore

I think the difference and the issue lay somewhere with the differences in how high the mags sit in the gun. Some how the mag release, release holes on the mag, and the ramp are just not in alignment with that configuration when I use MBX. When I compare the two it is clear the MBX mags sit a little lower and they do not present the bullet nose at the same angle. 

Shot 6 stages today at a local match and both mags ran great. Hopefully, it will perform without any hiccups from now on.  Im wondering if i should load tha mags again and leave them for few more days. 

2 hours ago, Joeyxbat said:

Im wondering if i should load tha mags again and leave them for few more days. 

If you do, please measure them (overall length, no load) now and then again after they're been compressed another couple of days, and let us know what you get.

44 minutes ago, teros135 said:

If you do, please measure them (overall length, no load) now and then again after they're been compressed another couple of days, and let us know what you get.

Just the tube or the whole thing including the basepad?

Noob question, what would be best to use to measure the mag?

Edited by Joeyxbat
Add more content

23 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Great point.   Wouldn't mind saving a few $$$$.   Thanks for the tip.    :) 

Mbx is doing a giveaway of 3 140mm mags on instagram and facebook, Good luck!

Edit: nevermind, sales are for pcc mags.

Edited by Joeyxbat
Add more content

Be used Atlas tuned STI Gen 2 mags for years now. I recently bought a MBX 155 to try because I like the in between size for some stages. Out of the gate it would cause my gun to not go into battery. I replaced the guts with a gram follower and spring and haven’t had any issues since. The feed lips are not great but the mag runs so I don’t touch it. 

On 11/10/2019 at 4:39 PM, teros135 said:

I apologize,  i was so busy with work this past few days and didn't had the chance to measure the springs.  I shot the South Florida hicap championship yesterday and did not have any problems with the mags.

I was having the same issues with my 155’s and 38 SC,... I talked to Adrian (great knowledge and customer service!!) about a few things and after letting them sit for 2 weeks loaded, one runs 100% with zero changes. One was not 100%,  I tried the GRAMS guts and It ran great, but have only got to try it for one stage so far. But that makes me believe the mag body works great. Probably just too much spring tension at first with the MBX when they are new.

Afterwords I put the MBX guts back in and loaded it up again for a week. Hopefuly that one will be 100% from now on also.

• 1 month later...

New Open shooter...ordered a honcho and waiting for it....Getting ready to order MBX mags, can someone who shoots 9 major enlighten me on the usefulness of the 155mm mags? From what i see they hold 2 rounds less than the 170mm.  I have heard they are easier for reloads, but having never tried them i cannot verify.  I am thinking of 2-170's and 2 or 3 140's.  Do i need  155? Thank you and don't mean to hijack this thread. 

10 minutes ago, JJB05 said:

New Open shooter...ordered a honcho and waiting for it....Getting ready to order MBX mags, can someone who shoots 9 major enlighten me on the usefulness of the 155mm mags? From what i see they hold 2 rounds less than the 170mm.  I have heard they are easier for reloads, but having never tried them i cannot verify.  I am thinking of 2-170's and 2 or 3 140's.  Do i need  155? Thank you and don't mean to hijack this thread. 

They hold 3 less than a 170 and 3 more than a 140(23/26/29).  I got rid of all my 140's as the 155 reloads are much easier and faster for me.  Plus when replacing mag springs in 11 mags, it is easier to order all 170 springs. 

Edited by echotango

4 minutes ago, echotango said:

They hold 3 less than a 170 and 3 more than a 140(23/26/29).  I got rid of all my 140's as the 155 reloads are much easier and faster for me.  Plus when replacing mag springs in 11 mags, it is easier to order all 170 springs. 

Interesting...so you feel reloads are easier with the 155's than 140's? I never heard that...good info to have.Thank you.

1 hour ago, JJB05 said:

Interesting...so you feel reloads are easier with the 155's than 140's? I never heard that...good info to have.Thank you.

Yeah I feel the same way. The 155 seats slightly further away from the magwell than the 140 does. I’ve tried loading with both over the off season and 155s are just easier to handle for me. 

3 hours ago, JJB05 said:

Yes. I had 1 155 and tested between the 2 and the 155 was a lot more consistent for me. As stated above, it is a little further from the magwell but without being as long as a 170. It is the perfect size. I have 5 of them. 

Edited by echotango