Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX mag problems open ?

TANFARM

I have been running multiple MBX mags in my 9mm open pistol. Have 140 and 170's.

As of late I have been experiencing a plague of mag problems. Essentially the rounds are dipping in the mag at various points and causing mag jams.

All the mags in question were serviced with MBX folowers and springs and were tuned to the best of my ability. I had been running various STI mags for years.

Constantly clean and inspect all my mags.

Any thoughts on whats causing the feed problems out on the tube??

Secondly......any experiences with replacing the MBX guts with Grams parts?.......I'm assumiong I would use the appropriate 140/170 Grams STI parts set?

Any guidence greatly appreciated.

Is there a possibility that this is an extractor or ejector problem rather than magazines??......Thanks in advance!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried to contact MBX? I have heard both positive and negative feedback about their customer service. 

What about your recoil spring? Any shock buff? New style MBX follower? New MBX mag springs? 

Sounds like it’s started all at once and if affecting both 140 and 170, maybe something different in the ammo?

I used to have a problem with case lube left on the case and when the above round was stripped, it dragged the next round forward.

1 hour ago, TANFARM said:

Yep...all mags were re tuned to  Adam's specs with my old Dawsons tuning kit..........

Adam's specs may not work in your gun.  Your feed lips need to be square and set properly for the height the mags sit in your particular gun with your particular mag catch.  Also be sure to keep inside of the feed lips smooth and burr free.  

"Adam's Specs" aren't for your gun. Those are for in general. Tune the mags to your gun. Use Grams followers if you can. For the love of all things good don't use an Uplula. I can't tell you how many people I have given that advice to that have instantly stopped having nosedives. Uplula's and 2011 mags don't mix for some peoples loads and lengths. If the 2nd round isn't pushed against the rear of the tube you are just asking for nosedives. 

A question, since it was brought up: do you guys run Grams followers along with Grams springs in your MBX mags?  I just recently replaced my old MBX internals with Grams spring and follower kits, and I've started to have issues with empty magazines getting stuck in the gun.  Should I ditch the Grams followers and just use the springs?

2 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

A question, since it was brought up: do you guys run Grams followers along with Grams springs in your MBX mags?  I just recently replaced my old MBX internals with Grams spring and follower kits, and I've started to have issues with empty magazines getting stuck in the gun.  Should I ditch the Grams followers and just use the springs?

check and see if the follower is getting caught on the slide stop.  stock gram followers need to have the tab removed as sometimes they hit the slide stop tab

9 hours ago, lacivilian said:

"Adam's Specs" aren't for your gun. Those are for in general. Tune the mags to your gun. Use Grams followers if you can. For the love of all things good don't use an Uplula. I can't tell you how many people I have given that advice to that have instantly stopped having nosedives. Uplula's and 2011 mags don't mix for some peoples loads and lengths. If the 2nd round isn't pushed against the rear of the tube you are just asking for nosedives. 

How do we load if we don’t use an Uplula? I was taught the pushing in the second round trick by a local GM too, it’s good advice.

9 hours ago, Silverscooby27 said:

How do we load if we don’t use an Uplula? I was taught the pushing in the second round trick by a local GM too, it’s good advice.

Yep. You can use one but have to take it off every round to push the 2nd round back against the tube. It's faster to not use one once you have to do that so you might as well only use it when you need that last round or two in the magazine.

I have several 140 , 155 and 170 MBX mags . What i found with new out of the package,  the feed lip dimensions are not consistent . Some are gtg right out while others need adjusting to fit MY guns .

Every gun is different . Different grips and mag releases very also. You need to find what your gun requires and adjust the mags to it.

As far as guts go , i have some that run perfect with MBX followers and others don't so changed to other manufactures followers.

I see different shapes of MBX mags depending on how old they are , at the top with dimensional changes .

Some springs seem need to be adjusted with proper angles and straightened out while others don't .

Find what works for your gun with your mags, there is no one answer, some trial and experimentation is required if you are not in the ' they work perfect out of the bag ' club .

Load mags 4 days a week with a Uplua , 140, 155 and 170, can't say it ever caused a issue .

ETA , this is how i set mine, not sure if everyone does this angle but i never have nose dive issues with any mags that are set like this .

20180607_181915 (1).jpg

Edited by Sprig

First of all, MBX mags have never been buy and use immediately mags.  The instructions that come with tell you to condition the springs by loading the mags fully and let them sit for a week or two.  I use two.  If you try to use them straight away, the follower stick up too high and causes problems, and possibly damage.  Same thing goes for any new mag spring.

Another thing to watch out for is Gen 1 and 2 followers.  While you can use Gen 1 followers in any MBX mag, Gen 2 will not work in Gen 1 mags.  I bend my Gen 2 follower a little bit so they sit a little more horizontally in the mag.

Nose dives are caused by too strong a spring, too tight front feed lips and/or too short ammo.  I use an Uplula with no problems.  One thing I always do it with the rear of a loaded mag against the heel of my hand until I hear a dull thud.  That means all the rounds are touching the rear of the mag.

Lastly, never drop an almost full MBX mag on the ground.  If you do you risk a round slipping under the follower, or cocking in the mag.  I use partially loaded STI Gen 2 mags for Classifiers or when I have to drop a mag in mud or dirt.  I'll also use on if my stage plan requires shooting 6 shots and reloading on the run.  Otherwise I use my 155s and 170s. 

BTW, the same advice goes for SVI Gen 1 tubes and TTI everything else.

• 1 month later...

my MBX are working right out of the box. I did load them a few times as per directions but no tuning they are just working fine. I also received a lot of advice to try them out as is before rushing out to buy grams guts. I think a lot of people rush to waste money it's not always necessary. You could almost afford an additional mag rather than getting the grams guts as long as the stock guts work for you.

New open shooter here,  just got 2 brand new mbx 170mm mags.  Im having nose dive once or twice on a full mag. I reload with 1.165 OAL.  Should i tune the mags by following the atlas you tube

video? I also loaded them few times as per directions and left them loaded 2 days before using them. 

Edited by Joeyxbat
Add more content

50 minutes ago, Joeyxbat said:

Im having nose dive once or twice on a full mag

MBX mags require a break in period with new springs.  I leave mine fully loaded for two weeks to let the springs take a set.  After that, no problems.  With your 170s, you may only be able to get 28 in at first.  That's fine.  A week later you can get the 29th in.  Eventually you can get a 30th in, but it won't be reloadable.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

MBX mags require a break in period with new springs.  I leave mine fully loaded for two weeks to let the springs take a set.  After that, no problems.  With your 170s, you may only be able to get 28 in at first.  That's fine.  A week later you can get the 29th in.  Eventually you can get a 30th in, but it won't be reloadable.

Thanks @zzt, Ive been able to load them to 29 rounds. One mag can load 29+1 and the other one can do 29.  They probably need more time to break in. Thanks again, you guys rock!