Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What’s your opinions of an STI DVC O as an out of the box Open pistol

RobertL

I’m currently shooting IDPA CDP and also running a Glock 17 with a Carver Aimpoint Mount and Comp for my local bowling pin/plate league. I want to jump into USPSA next year and would like to shoot open. What’s everyone’s opinion of the STI DVC O in 9mm Major as an out of the box Open pistol?

Also, if anyone is running this setup, what are you favorite loads in 124gr?

Thanks!

Bob

Locally we have about 5 guys running them.

One went back about 6months ago and hasn't been replaced yet buy STI

2nd one won't keep running, owner calls it a "Jamb O matic"

other 3 seem to run fairly well but those 3 guys only shoot about once a week so they don't get much use.

Ck arms guns seem to run without problems, though I'm sure some have problems!!!

IF it was my money I'd go with a CK arms, price is about the same and quality is better

Shooter connection runs a sale on them occasionally,  get on the email list and ask for the Benos Discount .

You get the email updates on get special pricing as a Benos Forum member.

My Gen I was POS.

This Gen II that I received from warranty is so good that I am thinking of getting a second one. 

Too bad that local dealer is not even returning my emails. 

Hat's off for mr. Dawson and others for returning the quality of STI guns.

Edited by Kema

i know of at least 4 guys who bought DVC here in Switzerland and they had only problems, one even had a barrel breaking in two, no kidding 

some of them eventually got them running but was a long and expensive business. inexcusable from a gun that here was 6.5 grand 

I got tired of sending mine back for warranty repairs and waiting many months to get it back, so I got a CK Arms open gun. Much better quality and service from Matt Cheely for the same price point. While I own several other STI guns (a Sentry, Trojan and two edges) that have been great, I’ll never send STI another dime due to my DVC Open experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, gianmarko said:

i know of at least 4 guys who bought DVC here in Switzerland and they had only problems, one even had a barrel breaking in two, no kidding 

some of them eventually got them running but was a long and expensive business. inexcusable from a gun that here was 6.5 grand 

The guns are not to blame. It's your cold and low atmospheric pressure because of the high mountains.😀

I bought a STI DVC  Open 9mm Pistol 3 years ago... did have a jam problem at first... changed the scope mount to a horizontal scope mount... cured the problem.. now it runs 100% .. my go to load is 6.6gr Auto Comp using 124gr Precision Delta bullets...  STI DVC are priced competitively  .. and their 100% lifetime warranty is valid..   

I received a 2019 DVC-O a few months ago as a warrenty replacement. It is a 9 major. 

I have around 2000 rounds through it so far. I have had zero malfunctions so far with gen 1 STI 9/38 mags without spacers. The mags are 10 rounders, I'm in a  ban state.

I'm running the RTS2 dot and mount.

I just installed a metal grip. This gun rocks. I'm really enjoying 9 major.

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I received a 2019 DVC-O a few months ago as a warrenty replacement. It is a 9 major. 

I have around 2000 rounds through it so far. I have had zero malfunctions so far with gen 1 STI 9/38 mags without spacers. The mags are 10 rounders, I'm in a  ban state.

I'm running the RTS2 dot and mount.

I just installed a metal grip. This gun rocks. I'm really enjoying 9 major.

Any advantage to the metal grip, other than adding weight?

Which metal grip did you add?

I shoot with a lot of Open shooters using DVCs, plus a couple of SCSA shooters using the S version.  All of the Os had problems taking up to 6 months to sort out.  The Ss seem to run, but I haven't know those guys for long.  So I don't know what they went through.

For as much as a DVC costs, you could get a custom gun built by good custom gunsmiths who don't have nationally recognized names.  For example, Hellfire Custom Guns just built an Open gun for a friend.  Cheely Wide frame, Caspian slide, KKM barrel, Binary Engineering comp and all EGW internals.  Cost?  $2600 with a plastic grip.  Or, you could do what a lot of Custom gunsmiths do and start with a Warwick Tactical short block.  Order it with a Barsto bull barrel threaded for 11/16x40.  The slide to frame fit will be .0003-.0004" clearance and parallel within .0005".  Barrel fit perfectly, timed and linked with their proprietary link.  Instead of the usual 5 links to choose from, they have 27.  So the fit is always perfect.  It will cost you a whopping $1100.  Then give it to your local smith to install a grip and good internals.  That is child's play.  If you want a lighter slide, send it to Gans Custom for milling.  

If you do buy a DVC, MBX mags work 100% after conditioning.  Conditioning involves leaving them fully loaded for a week to set the springs.  STI Gen 2 mags work, but require tuning for 100%.  Cheely e2 grips fit the DVS frame with no work, or any other new frame deigned for a plastic grip.  PT Evos require fitting.

12 hours ago, zzt said:

I shoot with a lot of Open shooters using DVCs, plus a couple of SCSA shooters using the S version.  All of the Os had problems taking up to 6 months to sort out.  The Ss seem to run, but I haven't know those guys for long.  So I don't know what they went through.

For as much as a DVC costs, you could get a custom gun built by good custom gunsmiths who don't have nationally recognized names.  For example, Hellfire Custom Guns just built an Open gun for a friend.  Cheely Wide frame, Caspian slide, KKM barrel, Binary Engineering comp and all EGW internals.  Cost?  $2600 with a plastic grip.  Or, you could do what a lot of Custom gunsmiths do and start with a Warwick Tactical short block.  Order it with a Barsto bull barrel threaded for 11/16x40.  The slide to frame fit will be .0003-.0004" clearance and parallel within .0005".  Barrel fit perfectly, timed and linked with their proprietary link.  Instead of the usual 5 links to choose from, they have 27.  So the fit is always perfect.  It will cost you a whopping $1100.  Then give it to your local smith to install a grip and good internals.  That is child's play.  If you want a lighter slide, send it to Gans Custom for milling.  

If you do buy a DVC, MBX mags work 100% after conditioning.  Conditioning involves leaving them fully loaded for a week to set the springs.  STI Gen 2 mags work, but require tuning for 100%.  Cheely e2 grips fit the DVS frame with no work, or any other new frame deigned for a plastic grip.  PT Evos require fitting.

Thanks! Hellfire has some nice looking guns on their website. I’ll do a little more digging.  

11 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

While not an open shooter, the new STI magazines seem to have solved issues with Limited style guns.  They still ship with a crappy spring, so I add an 11 coil ISMI to my 140s and they run 100% with stock base pad and follower.  

Thanks!