Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited And Limited-10

mcb

Just curious, I have been shooting Limited-10 exclusively with my XD-40. If I started shooting Limited I am probably going to have to get a new gun to be competitive. But I see a lot of more experienced shooters that are classified in both and was wondering if you guys have dedicated guns for both division or if you just down load your Limited gun? I suspect many do the down loaded Limited gun but then others shoot their single stack in Limited-10. If you do shoot two different gun tell us what your shooting.

mcb

The only competition gun that I own is a SS STI Trojan in .40 - so it only holds 10 rounds. So, I generally shoot L-10. However, I'm probably going to step it up and shoot Limited at the next Austin match, cause we're having a "Limited Challenge"... We'll see if those fat guns can handle the onslaught of a skinny gun.... :D

MCB,

I have in the past used just my Para for both.

I came up on a good deal on a Kimber Custom Elite and now use it some.

I still shoot Limited with a fat gun, but since I have been concentrating on Revolver for the last 2 years, those have been holding the safe down.

Recently I decided to raise my L-10 scores to at least get them into the classification USPSA has me in.....So I now shoot an extra classifier with the Revo after the match run for L-10 division.

Make sense? :wacko:

When I go back to Autos, the new Benny Blaster will be the L gun and the Kimber will be the L-10 gun......Don't know about the SS division test thing....can only do so much.

HOP

Edited by hopalong

Like Hop, I've been concentrating on revolver for the last two years, but, I shot a Glock 35 for limited and lim-10 in previous years and still shoot it when I get a chance now days for classifier matches and such.

Basically stock except for the JP magwell and Heinie sights. I just ordered a Dawson FO front sight to try out. Running Grams +5 basepads for limited.

I started out, like a lot of other people, just competeing with what I already owned: A Colt Mark IV single stack. And then, also like a lot of other people, I put a lot of money into it: one piece guide rod, mag-well, milled slide for bomar sights, etc. Once I got it just like I like it, I decided I had to have another gun. So I went out and bought a Para P16-40. Now I pretty much shoot this for both Limited and L 10 (even open once--all my open classifiers were shot with this gun.) Now I've even gone out and bought a true open gun, but I've yet to shoot it in a match.

Once the single stack division starts, I'll break out the Colt again.

I shoot Limited with an STI, I do not shoot L10, though in the past I shot it with a single stack, and some with a Glock, but usually as a second gun at the same match. For Limited practice as a second gun, I shoot my Limited gun in Open because it doesn't change the way I run a course. To me, there is no reason I would ever choose to shoot L10 unless you live in a capacity restricted state, or have a capacity restricted gun. The new provisional division is of interest to me with my single stack when I am not shooting Limited.

Thanks for all the responses.

{snip}

To me, there is no reason I would ever choose to shoot L10 unless you live in a capacity restricted state, or have a capacity restricted gun.

{snip}

JMHO but I love Limited-10 because I get to reload lots and mess/tinker with my gun more. When I started shooting USPSA this spring the biggest draw to this type of shooting was the requirement to reload while on the clock. Sporting Clays as much as I love it does not put any pressure to reload on yah. With Production you get to reload as often as L-10 but you can't really tinker with your gun as much as you can in Limited. Plus I was shooting 40S&W so it was a bit of a disadvantage in Production unless I load down and when I started I was shooting factory ammo so L-10 seemed to fit what I liked and the equipment I had. I have liked it so much I have stayed. I think if I go anywhere it will be to start shooting revolver, even more reloading. :D

mcb

For me it's almost the same as MCB. Except I started in production with a Beretta 92, then stepped up to the big leagues with a custom STI, I shot a few matches in Limited to get used to the gun, but I missed the reloading of Production. So as of right now I download the tubes, and shoot L10. When my Single Stack gets built, I'll switch over to the provisional SS division and leave the STI for Limited.

I figure if I pay my range fee for the match, I might as well get my monies worth and reload alot more :D heck I even manage to shoot some extra white targets that others don't :P

Matt

I had my STI open gun modified so that it had a standard slide and barel on it for Limited and shoot it in 38 sup minor. I have the 10 round mags to use for L-10 and my open mags ( 21 rounds) for Limited.

This gives me the same triger and feel in the frame and I don't have to reload another calaber.

I shoot my Kimber in L-10 and my Para in Limited. These days, since my wife started shooting, it appears I no longer have a Kimber. My wife is carrying the family banner in L-10.

I shot the SC State match in L-10 division with the Para since I hadn't been classified in Limited yet and I wanted to use the new gun. Speaking for myself only, I thought it was stupid as hell. I was in a major slump anyway and should have just shot Limited as a "U". I can't see the draw of downloading mags to shoot L-10.

Of course I started in L-10 and loved it, but the joy of not constantly reloading is something I find greatly appealing at this time. I can't ever see going back, especially with the Para.

I have been shooting my Glock 21 in both Limited and L-10. Lately I have been shooting mostly Production and L-10- I love the mental focus these divisions require, the need to really work on most stages and of course nail your reloads. I'm going to be building a single-stack .45 Caspian this winter for the provisional single-stack division. Single-stack 1911's and most Production guns (I shoot a Baby Eagle 9mm) are so slim and ALIVE in your hand, they are just a joy to shoot :D

I parked my S_I widebody .40 and shot L-10 all year with a single-stack Caspian .45.

The only difference I've seen is that if shooting Limited 10, I usually have to do one extra reload somewhere in the COF that I could have skipped shooting Limited. I probably average about 1.0 sec slower with the SS, on any given 22-26 round field course, because of the extra reload.

I shoot L-10 with my widebody SV Limited gun....

I like the practice of reloading it forces me to do... and the sense of pride I get for shooting L-10 stages in the same neighborhood, time wise, as the Lim shooters... if not faster sometimes :P

And when I go back to Lim, my reloads are usually the least of my concern.

Edited by sfinney

I shot L10 with my Para and 10 round mags and then switched to Limited when I got enough hi-caps gathered (back in the bad old ban days). I haven't shot L10 in over a year and not since I got my Brazos.

I probably won't shoot L10 again but I will be playing in Single Stack division as soon as I figure out which Single Stack to add to the collection. :D Might shoot L10 with the the single stack just for grins. One never knows...does one?