Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Right

Coltparch

Fellers, 

I’m newer to revolver shooting and I’m shooting my 627 right. Vertical is fine but every shot is right. I’m a right handed shooter and am pretty dead nuts with semi autos. 

Tried drifting the rear-sight, tried different grips. Nothing helped. 

I then tried almost pushing the gun left with my support hand on the butt and trigger guard but did not like how it felt, although it worked. 

Whatcha thinkin? 

Generally when shooting right your hooking your trigger finger on the trigger way too much and do not have enough weakhand grip pressure.

What do your sights do when you dryfire the revo?

11 hours ago, Coltparch said:

Fellers, 

I’m newer to revolver shooting and I’m shooting my 627 right. Vertical is fine but every shot is right. I’m a right handed shooter and am pretty dead nuts with semi autos. 

Tried drifting the rear-sight, tried different grips. Nothing helped. 

I then tried almost pushing the gun left with my support hand on the butt and trigger guard but did not like how it felt, although it worked. 

Whatcha thinkin? 

Are you shppting left handed? Sounds like it.

Or that is one very strange grip...

What distances are we talking here? 6 feet? 20 yards? 50 yards?

Rear sight goes in the direction you want the bullet to go, so in your case you'd need to gradually move the rear sight to the left.

If the gun is fine, just sounds like you need to work on a proper grip and do some practicing. 

have you shot from a rest to take you out of the equation ?
How about a good pic of the top of the gun.. S&W has a history of over clocking/ over torqueing revolver barrels. This puts the front sight too far left,,, and Yep, all your rounds go right.

If applying pressure to the left is centering your shots and adjusting the RS to the left hasn't helped it is most likely your grip causing the issue.

1) What part of your trigger finger do you use?  JM uses the pad at the tip, just as you would with a semi-auto.  Most use that first joint.  

If you stick your trigger finger in further than that 1st joint it is easy to jerk the shot right.

2) If that is combined with a small hand you can reduce the pressure on the Revolver grip and be more suceptible to torque.

3) Where are your thumbs?  You could be applying pressure to the left side of the frame of the Revolver with your thumb.

I use the same grip as my Semi-autos, thumb forward, but I have short, stubby fingers.  You have to be careful as the weak hand thumb can work forward and get hit by gas from the cylinder gap.  You might try this grip and see if it gives you any help.

Some use the SH thumb curled down onto the grip and the WH thumb folded over that.

4)  If you're new to Revolver you could be simply not operating the trigger in a smooth, continous manner.  The only solution is practice there.

With an unloaded Revolver try balancing a dime on the FS and squeeze off the shot.

Or maybe the guy holding the target keeps jumping to his left?🤣

Let us know how you're progressing though.

Edited by pskys2