Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does this mean I'm crimping too much?

Falloutboy89

How can I prevent this?

Everything I have loaded to date has been 115 or 124 FMJ RN. I have seen a somewhat slight taper in on the mid-section of my fully loaded rounds. Never saw this before - I loaded about 30 as a test to Chrono. I shot about half and the fps seemed  fine. Hell, they were accurate too.

I also performed the plunk test (on some) and used a case gauge on every round.

• 9mm
  • 3.3 gr. Titegroup
  • FC Brass
  • 1.070 OAL
  • 147 gr. FMJ FN

IMG_5890.jpg

Edited by Falloutboy89

That is from use of an under-sizing die and then the fact that a longer 147 gr often has to be seated deeper into the case getting down to where the brass of the case starts to thicken, which is about .3" or so I think.  It's all a-ok.

Thank you both. I'm not a fan of the look that's for sure. I love this forum. Read the thread MM shared which lead me to one from 2017 which then lead me to one from 2014. All filled with useful info.

Thanks again!

Ignore the "look".  It doesn't matter.  The under-sizing of the brass does a great job of preventing bullet setback.  Taper crimping doesn't hold the bullet, just removes the bell.

4 hours ago, Falloutboy89 said:

I loaded about 30 as a test to Chrono. I shot about half and the fps seemed  fine. Hell, they were accurate too.

I also performed the plunk test (on some) and used a case gauge on every round.

so, whats the problem ?     :surprise:

I also had a similar concern about a slight bulge in my loaded rounds. My friend told me it's because the dies are sized for the lowest common denominator, which is the thinnest brass expected.

Reloading is something we should rightly be overcautious about as newbies

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Yes, especially when you're loading 3.3 gr TG.     🧨

Curious about this comment.

Are you not a fan of TG? I've read comments about ppl suggesting its easy to double charge. I have the powder check installed on my 650 too.

Please clarify if you don't mind... 

As stated, it's the interference fit that holds the bullet and prevents setback, not the crimp.  And a bit of a muffin top is normal.  But that looks excessive.  What sizing die are you using?

2 hours ago, Falloutboy89 said:

Curious about this comment.

Are you not a fan of TG? I've read comments about ppl suggesting its easy to double charge

A double charge of anything is a Very Bad Idea.   But, no, I'm just joking - seems to me

that 3.3 TG is a Very Light load and constitutes so little danger (except for a dbl charge).

Guess I should stop kidding around.   😂

2 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'm just joking - seems to me

that 3.3 TG is a Very Light load and constitutes so little danger (except for a dbl charge).

OK. I thought that was the case but just wanted to make sure.

Appreciate the jab/joke. Keep it up!

1 hour ago, 4n2t0 said:

Mine look exactly the same with a 147gr bullet which I load with 3.6gr of Titegroup.

Good to know. TY.

Care to share any details of what you're getting out of them?

Gun?

OAL?

FPS?
PF?

TG produces pressure spikes at low loadings. TG also does not handle even minor over-loads very well.

TG is a fine  powder, if it works for you.

Personally, I would get a standard Lee sizing die. Standard Lee and Hornady sizing dies go down almost as far as any sizing die can. Dillon is very sloppy and the rest fall in between.

If your round feeds and chambers, ignore the bulge. If it goes all around the case to the same extent, then it is a result of the undersized sizing die and an expander plug that doesn't go down far enough. If it is only on one side of the case, it is the result of seating the bullet crooked (where a better expander plug, more case mouth flare, and a better fitting seating stem might be good investments).

Always, always inspect the powder charge in the case before placing a bullet on top. Use your eye or an RCBS Lock-Out die, no matter the cartridge or powder being used.

4 hours ago, noylj said:

Always, always inspect the powder charge in the case before placing a bullet on top.

AMEN.    I learned this the hard way - loaded 200+ rounds and Some of them

have powder and some don't  (that's after 40 years of reloading without Ever

having had this problem).

10 hours ago, noylj said:

Personally, I would get a standard Lee sizing die.

Ordered one - appreciate the recommendation.

10 hours ago, noylj said:

Use your eye or an RCBS Lock-Out die

Is this considered better than the Dillon Powder Check? I have that already... Seems to work well IMO.

18 minutes ago, Falloutboy89 said:

Ordered one - appreciate the recommendation.

Is this considered better than the Dillon Powder Check? I have that already... Seems to work well IMO.

Nothing works as well as watching each load by eye. 

1 hour ago, Youngeyes said:

Nothing works as well as watching each load by eye. 

Exactly. Mechanical parts can break, go out of spec, etc., and you might not know it. You will know pretty quickly if your eye breaks or goes out of spec.