Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 5 FS MOS Convert!!!

cheers623

Well, after carrying and having as house/nightstand guns since 1991 but never wanting to shoot in competition...I’m a convert. Since 1991 99% of the rounds I’ve sent down range have been thru some type of 1911/2011. Then in the last few months my eyes have headed south BIG TIME!

Bought a kick ass CZ P10F optics ready for CO division. Tricked it

all out. Ran great but didn’t fit my hand at all. Sold it here yesterday on the Classifieds. To a great dude!

Went to my LGS that had a Gen5 G34 MOS FS...I LOVE THIS

PISTOL!!! Fired around 250 rounds today with zero problems. The small grip somehow fits my size XXL hands better than any other polymer gun. I can’t explain it. It also recoils super soft and points naturally better than my ole trusty Gen3 G34 house gun! The bonus is that all the practice rounds and dryfire muscle memory is right there! Can’t wait to try CO with this gun!

Ok...sorry for the shameless plug for the old ugly gun! Here’s a retirement picture!

CAAB8854-C064-4CD5-B68F-CD0951931366.jpeg

12A40A46-7007-430C-8835-0792CDEA2039.jpeg

If glock would have had the gen4/5 grip way back, I would probably be a glock shooter today.  With the backstraps and reduction or whatever they did, the gun feels much better.  Glad you're liking your new blaster!  

19 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Let's go 50 50 on a 9mm reamer

When you guys say short chamber, how short? I’m loading Precision Delta 124fmj Rn at 1.140” and having no problems after shooting 300 rounds since yesterday. Just curious. 

the deal is especially pronounced with 147 in any profile other than round nose. i have two different round nose flat point bullets, 147s and they both have to be loaded to 1.060 to plunk and spin freely. my 147 round nose bullets from two manufacturers can be loaded to 1.150 easily.

it's a weight/profile thing, especially with 147 grain bullets.

16 hours ago, cheers623 said:

When you guys say short chamber, how short? I’m loading Precision Delta 124fmj Rn at 1.140” and having no problems after shooting 300 rounds since yesterday. Just curious. 

It all depends on the bullets profile.  The PD RN will allow for a longer OAL. 

16 hours ago, cheers623 said:

2E2C9E14-B153-4C54-9D5F-FFB64D193911.jpeg

0AB90F91-4027-4734-9426-B6423DED2570.jpeg

16 hours ago, rowdyb said:

the deal is especially pronounced with 147 in any profile other than round nose. i have two different round nose flat point bullets, 147s and they both have to be loaded to 1.060 to plunk and spin freely. my 147 round nose bullets from two manufacturers can be loaded to 1.150 easily.

it's a weight/profile thing, especially with 147 grain bullets.

Are you using 147 Berry's flat nose by chance?  I have to seat those pretty deep to plunk in my ZEV barrel too. 

Yeah.  Supposedly late gen 5s aren’t as short chambered as early ones.  I have 3 early ones.  They were in shadow-2 territory for my most common 147 Gr RN and FP loads 1.08 - 1.10”. The exception being Precision Delta RN.  That profile  is much more forgiving.  

On 6/14/2019 at 4:09 PM, nso123 said:

Are you using 147 Berry's flat nose by chance?  I have to seat those pretty deep to plunk in my ZEV barrel too. 

in this case no, two different rmr rnfp bullets. but i have used those berry's ones in the past and they definitely needed to be short.

i ordered some berry's round nose and will probably just stick with a round nose profile......

21 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

Yeah.  Supposedly late gen 5s aren’t as short chambered as early ones.  I have 3 early ones.  They were in shadow-2 territory for my most common 147 Gr RN and FP loads 1.08 - 1.10”. The exception being Precision Delta RN.  That profile  is much more forgiving.  

My two gen 5 34's are as bad as my shadow 2. Maybe even worse. 

To get blue bullets to pass, I'm having to load down to 1.080"

14 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

in this case no, two different rmr rnfp bullets. but i have used those berry's ones in the past and they definitely needed to be short.

i ordered some berry's round nose and will probably just stick with a round nose profile......

I am also making the switch to round nose.  I am just not a fan of having to go so short. 

3 hours ago, nso123 said:

I am also making the switch to round nose.  I am just not a fan of having to go so short. 

It's not just a RN/FP issue. It's the profile/ogive.

Just because it's a RN doesn't mean anything. 

See illustration above. 

Id hate to see you buy several thousand RN bullets only to have the same issue. 

40 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

It's not just a RN/FP issue. It's the profile/ogive.

Just because it's a RN doesn't mean anything. 

See illustration above. 

Id hate to see you buy several thousand RN bullets only to have the same issue. 

You are correct. I should have included that. I am going to a completely different profile. Thanks for looking out!

I set up a Gen5 G34 for CO also.  Ejection always bothered me.  Cases ejected but wouldn’t make it much further than my feet.  Only thing that fixed it was an Apex Gen3 extractor.   Now a good 5-6 feet to 4:00

Edited by Climbhard

1 hour ago, Climbhard said:

I set up a Gen5 G34 for CO also.  Ejection always bothered me.  Cases ejected but wouldn’t make it much further than my feet.  Only thing that fixed it was an Apex Gen3 extractor.   Now a good 5-6 feet to 4:00

I have no problems with ejection...quite the opposite! My cases land 7-10 feet away. My load is 4.4gr of N320 and 124gr Precision Delta RN FMJ. That load chronos consistently to 133-135pf. Maybe the guys with ejection issues are using too light of a bullet? Dunno. I used to prefer 147gr loads but in 9MM the 124gr loads seems to be the sweet spot for me. YMMV

8 hours ago, cheers623 said:

I have no problems with ejection...quite the opposite! My cases land 7-10 feet away. My load is 4.4gr of N320 and 124gr Precision Delta RN FMJ. That load chronos consistently to 133-135pf. Maybe the guys with ejection issues are using too light of a bullet? Dunno. I used to prefer 147gr loads but in 9MM the 124gr loads seems to be the sweet spot for me. YMMV

135 with Titegroup.  130pf