Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 5 FS MOS Convert!!!

cheers623

I do not have ejection issues with my 2nd rev g34 Gen 5 MOS. by 2nd rev I mean the one with the serrations on the front and back of the slide. The 1st rev does not have the front serrations. Maybe they changed the ejector on the 2nd rev.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I heard they revised the breach face for better ejection.   All I know is my new fs gen 5 has zero issues with brass hitting the optic.  My non fs gen 5 hit it a few times over the couple of matches I had the optic mounted to it and the gen 4 mos seemed to do it once every dozen rounds.

Edited by NWfront

On 6/16/2019 at 8:37 AM, B_RAD said:

My two gen 5 34's are as bad as my shadow 2. Maybe even worse. 

To get blue bullets to pass, I'm having to load down to 1.080"

Yikes. For Blues, I was mainly shooting the 135 TCs, and they weren't that bad . Are you loading the 147 RNs? I moved to KKM pretty quick on my two 34s, so I didn't test alot of my rounds with them - but I see that I did test Acme 147gr FPs out to 1.1345 with success. Also passed in my AccuShadow-2 at that OAL. Though to your point, Precision Delta 147gr RN failed in my stock gen 5 barrel sooner than in my Shadow2

1 hour ago, dg370 said:

I do not have ejection issues with my 2nd rev g34 Gen 5 MOS. by 2nd rev I mean the one with the serrations on the front and back of the slide. The 1st rev does not have the front serrations. Maybe they changed the ejector on the 2nd rev.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't realize that was as difference in revision. I thought it was just a 'feature'. I've got both...one with the front serrations, one without. I'll take a look this week end and see if the ejector or breech is different between them.

9 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

Yikes. For Blues, I was mainly shooting the 135 TCs, and they weren't that bad . Are you loading the 147 RNs? I moved to KKM pretty quick on my two 34s, so I didn't test alot of my rounds with them - but I see that I did test Acme 147gr FPs out to 1.1345 with success. Also passed in my AccuShadow-2 at that OAL. Though to your point, Precision Delta 147gr RN failed in my stock gen 5 barrel sooner than in my Shadow2

No. Those were 125 gr.  

I'm loading everglade plated 124/147 the 147's seem to be the most accurate load. The plated bullets can go out past 1.150" due to the profile. 

I've never found any after market barrel to be as accurate as the OEM. I can shoot 3" groups off hand at 25 yds with the OEM barrel. 

I'm new to reloading so patience please with this question. 

Is there a reason why loading longer is better? The guy who got me started loads 9mm at 1.070. I kinda just wound up at 1.085 and have been there for 10,000 rounds. Accuracy seems fine for what I do in USPSA. Is there a reason to mess with this or just be happy it will likely load in any chamber (I'm about to by a G5 34FS) and keep on keeping on???

32 minutes ago, Slalom45 said:

Is there a reason why loading longer is better? The guy who got me started loads 9mm at 1.070. I kinda just wound up at 1.085 and have been there for 10,000 rounds. Accuracy seems fine for what I do in USPSA. Is there a reason to mess with this or just be happy it will likely load in any chamber (I'm about to by a G5 34FS) and keep on keeping on???

If it works, and is not dangerous, no need to make changes. 

Shortening the OAL increases pressure. If you're loading and the tested load was at a longer OAL and you go shorter, you could be getting close to a dangerous situation. 

A good rule of thumb would be to load longer if you can. You'll need to test the finished round (or dummy round) in your mags and in your barrel to see how long you can go. For most loads, there's no reason to go over the max OAL for a round. For instance, 1.169" for 9mm. I try to load around 1.150" for 9mm. That way if I get one that's a little longer it's not over max OAL. 

You'll want to chrono to see where you're at.  

11 hours ago, B_RAD said:

No. Those were 125 gr.  

I'm loading everglade plated 124/147 the 147's seem to be the most accurate load. The plated bullets can go out past 1.150" due to the profile. 

I've never found any after market barrel to be as accurate as the OEM. I can shoot 3" groups off hand at 25 yds with the OEM barrel

My groups tightened up considerably with the new barrel, but to be fair I also changed trigger , springs, etc. My main reason was  got tired of making separate short loads for it. It let me get back to making one common round for all my 9s. Except the Shadow2, which is out of rotation anyway. 

1 hour ago, OptimiStick said:

My groups tightened up considerably with the new barrel, but to be fair I also changed trigger , springs, etc. My main reason was  got tired of making separate short loads for it. It let me get back to making one common round for all my 9s. Except the Shadow2, which is out of rotation anyway. 

I hear you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 7:01 AM, B_RAD said:

No. Those were 125 gr.  

I've never found any after market barrel to be as accurate as the OEM. I can shoot 3" groups off hand at 25 yds with the OEM barrel. 

Have you loaded the everglade fmj 124's?  Profile should be good, but curious before I order a case or 3.

20 minutes ago, tha1000 said:

Have you loaded the everglade fmj 124's?  Profile should be good, but curious before I order a case or 3.

I have not loaded their FMJ’s. 

Edited by B_RAD

7 minutes ago, tha1000 said:

Roger that. I might have accidentally bought a Gen 5 and have about 10k of their 124’s loaded. Hope they run. 

If not, get the barrel reamed. 

On 6/20/2019 at 11:14 AM, Slalom45 said:

The case walls of 9mm brass are a consistent thickness for the first .300” in the headstamps we favor. After than, the walls grow thicker as you head down toward the case rim:

B649D0B9-9E35-4D83-85F8-34A4F9D4CBEC.thumb.jpeg.9b0c643d5a0c2266d5c901cdd5f40817.jpeg

If you shove a really long bullet back into it too deeply, you’ll have more frequent failures because the walls of the case will buckle or bulge under this load. This means guys wanting to load 147s cannot load as shortly as guys shooting short 115gr bullets and see the same percentage of sucessfully loaded rounds.

Additionally, if you keep the powder charge and bullet weight unchanged and push the bullet deeper and deeper, the pressure curve will look something ROUGHLY like this when loading with a fast powder:

6BA415E7-E4F8-47F2-B3F6-70C817B394EF.thumb.jpeg.ddcdca0781f9fa4fef6dbd812d9c5c1c.jpeg

This means that from 1.110” all the way out to 1.150” with this random powder (based on my experience, we’ll call it “hypothetical TG” or perhaps “Solo 3000” ;) ) you see very little difference in pressure or velocity. So you’re free to experiment with OAL to dial in max accuracy with very little change in power factor. Nor will your gun blow up on you.

But if you happen to be working with something like Clays or N310 and a 147, you’re already playing with fire out at 1.140”+ and need all the case volume you can get!

Edited by MemphisMechanic