Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124g 9major col?

Loudgp

Anyone running 124g ( Montana gold and precision delta) jhp . in a 2011?  Looking for a col. ive tried 1.160 to 1.145 and still have feeding issues.75% of the time its fine but . still get the few rounds that act up. all barrel drop and case gauge. thanks.... 

Check where the bullet nose hits the feed ramp.  I load to 1.161" for major and 1.145" to 1.50" for minor.  The only bullet that will feed 100% reliably when it hits in the center of the feed ramp is the Hornady 115 HAP.  The extra copper over the nose allows it to slide smoothly.   Real JHPs designed to expand have problems there.  So you have to load longer, or open up the front of the mag feed lips to get the bullet to hit higher.  I even tried Everglades 124 JHP which is supposed to have a better profile for feeding.  I still get some hangups.

124 gr JHP MG's are The Standard for 9mm Major in 2011's and 

The Answer to OAL is 1.165".

I have run them as low as 1.145"  and as high as 1.170" and they were perfect.

Now run them at 1.155" and they're still perfect.

I suspect it's NOT the OAL that's causing your problem   "feeding issues".

Can you be more specific as to what issues you've been having ?

some will nose dive into the top of the chamber. all new mags and guts( tuned at builder before firearm was shipped back) ~ had one bad mag and set aside.. wasnt sure if they are too short or too long. and what everyone has has luck with.. i know its a headache till you find the right balance... 

3 hours ago, Loudgp said:

some will nose dive into the top of the chamber. all new mags and guts( tuned at builder before firearm was shipped back) ~ had one bad mag and set aside.. wasnt sure if they are too short or too long. and what everyone has has luck with.. i know its a headache till you find the right balance... 

I load PD JHP 124's at 1.170. Had Matt Cheely build a new gun for me and had a few feeding issues. Turned out mag springs were way overdue for changing. New Grams guts and an evening of tweaking ( not twerking ) mags and all is well. Runs like a top now. I had an easy fix. 

But as you stated you have new tuned mags from the builder. But you say you had 1 bad mag. Was this from the builder as well? Not knocking anyone, just asking. Personally I would go through all the mags myself just to eliminate one possible issue. I would also sort a good bit of same headstamp brass just for testing to eliminate another variable. And keep good notes and change only one thing at a time, then more testing. 

Is this a new gun? Talked to the builder about the issue? From the OP a 25% failure rate is pretty rough. Best of luck with your troubles. 

20 minutes ago, Part_time_redneck said:

I load PD JHP 124's at 1.170. Had Matt Cheely build a new gun for me and had a few feeding issues. Turned out mag springs were way overdue for changing. New Grams guts and an evening of tweaking ( not twerking ) mags and all is well. Runs like a top now. I had an easy fix. 

But as you stated you have new tuned mags from the builder. But you say you had 1 bad mag. Was this from the builder as well? Not knocking anyone, just asking. Personally I would go through all the mags myself just to eliminate one possible issue. I would also sort a good bit of same headstamp brass just for testing to eliminate another variable. And keep good notes and change only one thing at a time, then more testing. 

Is this a new gun? Talked to the builder about the issue? From the OP a 25% failure rate is pretty rough. Best of luck with your troubles. 

The bad mag was one i have from a previous build.. but was set aside.. i figured id see what everyone had for input before i drive him nuts. checking if its something im doing.. and yes its a newer build. maybe 2k through it so far.. 

I've never had feeding issues due to weak springs.  I don't let them get that bad.  I have had them with new springs.  Sometimes mag springs have to be conditioned before they will feed reliably.  That is CERTAINLY the case with all MBX springs, TTI springs, the springs in Wilson ETM 45 10-round mags and every single brand of 1911 9mm mag I've tried.  Just load them full and let them sit for a couple weeks.  Then all is well.  This is not the case with STI gen 2 9mm double stack mags.

Edited by zzt

I load both PD and MG 124 g to 1.170 over all length for major.  They both feed fine in MBX and Gen 2 STI mags.  I have run the 115 g PD and MG at 1.145 at minor in steel challenge and they still feed fine in my 2011.

I would say 75% or more of jams like this would be mag related.  I would suggest borrowing a known good mag from a friend and see if the issue goes away!  I have shot factory length all the way to 1.175+ and not had an issue in my Atlas Chaos.

20 hours ago, zzt said:

I've never had feeding issues due to weak springs....

Ditto, and I rarely if every change them.  Maybe when they get rusted.

Check your feed lips are correct, rounds slide smoothly from the mag, and the alignment when inserted in the gun is correct.  Sometimes a little work on the chamber entry area will allow for some extra margin of error.