Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New ICORE Divisions

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took the survey. I said yes to L6 Major & snubby. Said no to rimfire. That creates too many 'admin' problems with falling steel activators. Removing those diminishes the match for the 120 PF competitors. I also noted that Snubby would need a lower PF, but 110 is reasonable and shouldn't create popper problems unless the wind is high. IDPA has been shooting BUG with a 95 PF, and not too many problems. 

I voted no on everything but rimfire. One of things I like about ICORE is no worries on the Major/ minor thing. We have an older lady who shoots rimfire at one of our clubs for no score because she can't handle recoil. I was ambivalent on the snubby thing but read the explanation and can see the justification. 

For those voting Yes on L6 major- Please elaborate as to why?

The current format with L6 proves home for 625s , moon clipped 686s, Moon clipped gp100s, Chiappas and every other 6 shot revolver you can think of. Why do you feel that we need an entire new division for people who choose to shoot heavier recoiling ammo? 

More importantly, Does everybody understand the L6 major will NOT offer any scoring benefit ? Your target will be scored the same as L6 and ever other division.

Thanks

AM

Edited by alecmc

The only thing I voted yes to was rimfire, and in the comments I said only at club matches- with the hope that a junior or someone who doesn’t like the recoil could participate. 

The other two divisions are just a waste of time, trying to divide our small amount of shooters up even further. 

Side note: Who/ how did these things get brought to the board? Are the board meeting minutes posted so we can read them? Can anyone bring something like this to the board?

1 hour ago, alecmc said:

The current format with L6 proves home for 625s , moon clipped 686s, Moon clipped gp100s, Chiappas and every other 6 shot revolver you can think of. Why do you feel that we need an entire new division for people who choose to shoot heavier recoiling ammo? 

More importantly, Does everybody understand the L6 major will NOT offer any scoring benefit ? Your target will be scored the same as L6 and ever other division.

Thanks

AM

The reason I voted Yes was... why not? If someone wants to shoot Major in a six-shot, with no scoring advantage... why not let them?

I voted no to everything.

If we add enough divisions, maybe all 9 of the the regulars at our match can win a division.

No one shoots L6 anyway, that was just an excuse to remove the 6 round neutral requirement.

I voted no to L6 major and no to rimfire. We don’t need a major/minor division in ICORE. Let uspsa do uspsa. We don’t need to be copy cats. And rimfire is really hard to score with steel.
I agree with MWP that we don’t need additional divisions splitting up competition even more.
I reluctantly made an exception and voted yes for snubby because lots of people already have them and i thought that it has the chance of attracting new shooters without too much investment in equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, alecmc said:

Thanks

AM

This. And I actively shoot L6.

There were 19 of us at the 2018 IRC. Limited had 72, Open had 60. Why would we divide up a division that's already one-third of the common divisions when the hypothetical L6 Major shooters can already use their equipment in the current L6?

33 minutes ago, PatJones said:

If we add enough divisions, maybe all 9 of the the regulars at our match can win a division.

I mean... that's how SASS does it?

2 hours ago, GOF said:

The reason I voted Yes was... why not? If someone wants to shoot Major in a six-shot, with no scoring advantage... why not let them?

In my opinion there needs to be a good reason for it, it's a large commitment adding a division, and currently I don't see any problem that requires fixing.

With such a small average of shooters per division, and revolver as a whole. I don't see the need to dillute the shooting pool any further by adding divisions unnecessarily.

2 hours ago, GOF said:

Sure, let them. They can shoot major now. We don’t need yet another division.

I don’t like adding divisions that’ll split up competition but rimfire has been in this limbo state, not a division but you can shoot it in certain matches (like the postal match). I feel like there’s plenty of sports with rimfire so I don’t foresee a lot of timer issues.

I don’t like snub because no one will shoot a snub: who will shoot a 5-shot J frame when a 6 shot K frame will be legal? Sure you might bring a J frame “just for fun” but at that point just sign up for Classic or Open.

I get that there’s no scoring difference with major but there’s a certain cache to shooting a high power factor revolver. I might even suggest not a new division but just making L6 have a different PF requirement. 

18 minutes ago, RangerMcFadden said:

I get that there’s no scoring difference with major but there’s a certain cache to shooting a high power factor revolver. I might even suggest not a new division but just making L6 have a different PF requirement. 

And marginalize the L6 minor guns? Not sure how that's better. 

I shoot L6 because I like the frame size (S&W 686) and/or they don't make my gun in 8-shot (Chiappa Charging Rhino). I'm not going to try to make 9 major with the latter just because people with 625's complain about recoil when they can already run in L6.

I shoot .357 in IDPA and my split times are barely, if at all, slower than when I run .38. And that doesn't even have the advantage of the bigger diameter holes...

2 hours ago, RangerMcFadden said:

but there’s a certain cache to shooting a high power factor revolver.

Sure, if that's your thing - go for it. There is nothing stopping you from shooting 200 power factor ammo in any of the other divisions. The minimum power factor requirement is just that. A MINIMUM. 

2 hours ago, RangerMcFadden said:

rimfire has been in this limbo state, not a division but you can shoot it in certain matches (like the postal match). I feel like there’s plenty of sports with rimfire so I don’t foresee a lot of timer issues.

The reason rimfire works in the ICORE Postal match is because there aren't any steel targets. Paper only.  

How do we deal with knock down steel poppers during matches? Knockdown steel must fall to score. 

I think it just said "less than 3 inch barrel" or such for the snubby ... I'm ready ... I think a 627 w/ the 2.625 barrel would be perfect for this category (or 686 ... 66 ... no real advantage for an 8 shot in ICORE these days).

How fast are those speed loaders for the rimfire revolvers??

Since it seems such a rare occurrence to see a stage where there is an advantage to have an 8 shot revolver (except for saving a reload because of a mis-fire) ... the major scoring would be a game changer for the 625s ...

Anyone w/ a small caliber gun would have to kick up to longer 357 cases to make major and those are a pita w/ moonclips.

Lets see ... my favorite stage these days ... 6 targets ... triple tap each ... shots limited ... and a boost for major scoring (perhaps 18 possible bonus points as well) ... Wow ... what's new??

IMHO ... 8's are great for USPSA; Steel Challenge; Weekday Steel Matches ... not for ICORE it seems. 

1 minute ago, pete627 said:

... the major scoring would be a game changer for the 625s .

See, this is where the confusion is I think. There is no major scoring.

Same scoring as other divisions

6 minutes ago, alecmc said:

See, this is where the confusion is I think. There is no major scoring.

Same scoring as other divisions

I'm pretty sure they asked in the "survey" an opinion on allowing "Major scoring" ...

Edited by pete627
edit: and I voted "NO" ...

4 minutes ago, pete627 said:

I'm pretty sure they asked in the "survey" an opinion on allowing "Major scoring" ...

No, it was an opinion on adding L6 Major division.  Scoring is the same as L6 and every other division, only difference between L6 and L6 major would be the power factor. 

1 minute ago, matteekay said:

Right - 155.

an actual power factor number hasn't yet been established. ( assuming L6 Major actually moves forward ) 

Edited by alecmc