Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Feeder or Powder Check? 650

I have two 650s. One is new in box and the other is setup. I will admit it's been a year since I've reloaded; got married, work, woodworking all got in the way. I was going to sell one 650 but like the idea of having one for rifle and one for pistol. 

That said, is having a bullet feeder worth getting ride of a powder check? Having only 5 stages it's my only choice IF I want to seat and crimp separately. I like the safety aspect of a powder check especially if I take the wife shooting and friends. 

I guess the other question is, how crucial is seating and crimping separately? It was advised to do that from the start. I have a new hornady seat and taper crimp die but have never used the crimp feature. 

Thanks in advance for the info. 

Best add on I did since getting the 650. Fill case feeder, fill bullet feeder, have a bunch of primer tubes ready and go to town.

One note, did start off with the Mini BF and did not like it, took too long to fill. Got a light & pay attention. Case check all rounds for fit & high primers.

gerritm

I'd use the Hornady die and keep the powder check. I already had RCBS dies when I got my 650, and they also do the seat/crimp in one station. I'd been doing it that way for over 20 years with my RCBS progressive, so I had no worries about it on the 650 either. And it works great. I don't understand why you'd want to split those operations up into 2 dies, personally.

the bullet feeder = best upgrade to my 650. I think it gives me a higher quality loading session as I can pay more attention to whats going on including visually verifying the powder drop. 

According to Dillon, the powder check will detect "none vs double charge". It doesn't really check the accuracy of the charge. In 9mm, the case is pretty full with a typical charge and a double will spill over. A no charge is, well, pretty easy to see. So if you do a visual you should be good.

I don't use a powder check for 9 but I do for Titegroup charges in 45 since the case is big and the charge is small.

Edited by lgh

I don't understand why anyone would not have the best/safest of both worlds, if they wanted to add a bullet feeder. Use a die that crimps and seats in one operation, and you can have both the powder checker and bullet feeder. The OP even already owns the seat/crimp die.

On 3/23/2019 at 8:11 AM, lgh said:

According to Dillon, the powder check will detect "none vs double charge". It doesn't really check the accuracy of the charge. In 9mm, the case is pretty full with a typical charge and a double will spill over. A no charge is, well, pretty easy to see. So if you do a visual you should be good.

I don't use a powder check for 9 but I do for Titegroup charges in 45 since the case is big and the charge is small.

I've never used the Dillon powder checker. Since I already owned an RCBS one when I got my 650, I just use it. And it's the same way, only really tells you if you have none or a double. Which is fine with me. I check the drop weight regularly and it's always on the money.

I use some TG in 9mm and it could easily be double charged w/o spilling over the top.

On 3/23/2019 at 8:11 AM, lgh said:

Bingo! If you think you are getting alarms for deviations of tenths of a grain you are fooling yourself. A visual check is all you need to confirm, that is really all the powder check alarm is doing anyway. If you don't want to hover over the press to do a visual check add an endoscope to the press and view it on a tablet or your phone for the visual confirmation on powder level. This can easily be done in the tool head hole used for the powder check rod and these days you can pick up an endoscope for like $20. 

33 minutes ago, jejb said:

I don't understand why anyone would not have the best/safest of both worlds,

Fair question.

I trust my eyes, and an excellent light shining down on the powder charge, as much as I did the powder checker. Also there is no messing around with adjustment when you change loads. 

With a MBF my problem now is that reloading used to be a hobby and now I have to find something else to do with my time. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

21 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Fair question.

I trust my eyes, and an excellent light shining down on the powder charge, as much as I did the powder checker. Also there is no messing around with adjustment when you change loads.

Not me. That is an operation I want to get 100% right, every time. I have the UFO light, and it's great. But I know I'm not perfect. The powder checker never, ever gets distracted or bored.

Is the Dillon powder checker hard to adjust for different loads? The RCBS one is very simple to adjust that way.

Edited by jejb

If I can not be focused and attentive then I will not reload.

I think the powder check is a fine thing to have if you want it , but it's not 100 % reliable, I had to replace the microswitch in mine and a battery or two but both failures came on gradually in my case so it was very easy to detect the problem and not have it fail when needed.

Dillon was probably not hard to adjust if you are not as ocd as I , I tended to want to fiddle until it was set close to perfect.

Like I said, I've never used a Dillon. Your points are well taken, and suggest Dillon's system is perhaps overly complicated. Makes me glad I use the all mechanical RCBS one. I've never had it fail to work correctly in many 10's of thousands of reloads.

If you think you’re going to have a double charge, there’s no sense in trying to go faster. But with the dillon 650 you have to mess up really bad to double charge it. If double charging were a big problem with the 650 you would hear more about it. It’s a reliable machine. Just pay attention to the charges as others said and if you get complacent then take a five minute break and get back at it. You’ll still load a lot more ammo in an hour than you would without the mbf. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, theblacklabel18 said:

But with the dillon 650 you have to mess up really bad to double charge it.

I agree. Try to induce a double charge and you will probably find it doesn't "just happen".