Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Holsters??

I'm in the market for a new holster for a 2011 open gun. It has a *thumb rest [generic]*, railed frame. I've looked at Red Hill and  Weber but not seeing anything on their websites.   Any other guys I should be looking art?

It needs decent retention for your physical 3gun matches.

12 hours ago, Sarge said:

DAA Racemaster has locking mechanism that is very good

yea i just used my daa alpha x at hard as hell 3gun and it worked great, didnt even think about it really, even reholstering on the clock, but you absolutely must lock it!

I have been searching for the same thing and called both RHT and Weber Tactical. RHT used to make them,  but got out of the open holster game. Weber was developing an open holster for the Atlas Chaos, but hasn't yet brought that to market.

Adam Weber recommended Windfall Defense for a custom kydex option. I'm going to have someone local to me give it a try and use a DAA Alpha X until then. No one seems to mass produce a kydex open holster other than NERD. 

On 3/11/2019 at 10:19 AM, Adamj said:

I have been searching for the same thing and called both RHT and Weber Tactical. RHT used to make them,  but got out of the open holster game. Weber was developing an open holster for the Atlas Chaos, but hasn't yet brought that to market.

Adam Weber recommended Windfall Defense for a custom kydex option. I'm going to have someone local to me give it a try and use a DAA Alpha X until then. No one seems to mass produce a kydex open holster other than NERD. 

Got a hold of Windfall and they couldn't help.... sent pics of the pistol and they said they would need it in hand...

I'll probably end up with something  like a Ghost or DAA but they are useless at protecting the gun from damage which is something I want...

21 hours ago, actionshooter said:

Got a hold of Windfall and they couldn't help.... sent pics of the pistol and they said they would need it in hand...

I'll probably end up with something  like a Ghost or DAA but they are useless at protecting the gun from damage which is something I want...

I think you will need to send the pistol in anywhere to get the kind of holster we are looking for. Don't neglect looking for something local. I was surprised to find a company in my backyard. 

If I was looking at spending the money on a race holster I would just bite the bullet on the wait time and send the pistol off. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

get a holster with a lock- especially if you are going to compete in 3 gun- safariland 014 or ghost, etc. there are other locking type holsters for an open gun.

With a frame mounted dot and thumbrest, I'd opt for the Limcat holster Scott Greene is using. I shoot for Weber Tactical, a kydex holster maker.....if I get a frame mount open gun, I'm buying a Limcat holster for it because I know just how absurd it would be to try to make a good open holster that worked with more than just one specific setup of open gun.

I finally got a local maker, FS Tactical, to create one for my Chaos.  I haven't used it in a match yet, but I've run, jumped, and used a slung rifle. It has held tight with a full 170mm mag. 

I started with a DAA Alpha X and when my rifle sling unlocked it and sent my $6,000+ pistol bouncing on the gravel I began looking for a different solution. 

20190630_070619-1134x2016.jpg

Edited by Adamj

23 hours ago, verla said:

get a holster with a lock- especially if you are going to compete in 3 gun- safariland 014 or ghost, etc. there are other locking type holsters for an open gun.

The DAA Alpha X does have a lock which was disengaged by the sling. If you go with a slide ride dot then you can use a hooded holster which seems to be the way to go.