Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$2.87 Per Gallon That Is Nuts!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The government needs to step in this is way out of control!

Thanks

The government is way out of control, has stepped in it beyond its purview and I do not welcome its further interference. Thank you very much.

When I began purchasing gasoline it was $0.28 a gallon. Now it costs ten times as much. I look forward to bitching about it costing $28 a gallon in another 30 years. The solution folks is to not whine about how much everything costs and that the costs keep going up. This seems to be a natural law. The key to eternal bliss is not in whining but in earning more money to keep up. :)

The government is way out of control, has stepped in it beyond its purview and I do not welcome its further interference. Thank you very much.

When I began purchasing gasoline it was $0.28 a gallon. Now it costs ten times as much. I look forward to bitching about it costing $28 a gallon in another 30 years. The solution folks is to not whine about how much everything costs and that the costs keep going up. This seems to be a natural law. The key to eternal bliss is not in whining but in earning more money to keep up. :)

I agree 100% with you on this one!

paid $2.67 this morning-just passed same arco and it's now $2.82! i'm sure once the hurricane damage is assessed by the oil companies, we'll see another .25 to .40 on top pf that.

driving to vegas for the 3 gun nats just got alot more expensive.

The government needs to step in this is way out of control!

Thanks

INNOVATION

Some bright folks will probably put something together that'll be the equivilant to the large scale innovations in computing in the late 1970's and 80's. And those folks will make billions. There are emerging technologies such as Bio-Desiel with huge potential, but require capital to build a large scale refinery and distribution system. The stuff is 100% American, brewed up from soy beans.

I'm not kidding with this. Last night's news had a story about a local lab/inventor that has found a way to make a gasoline substitute out of chickens/chicken parts. No details were given about the process or formula. The rep from the company said that the gas substitute can be made for pennies a gallon. Sadly the firm has been closed down bacause of complaints coming from other tenants in the shared building. Apparently the odor coming from the lab permeates an entire building with offices rented by other companies.

Perhaps this concoction will be the salvation of the SUV.

You might want to get real used to shortages with the government setting wholesale prices beginning Sept 1.

Or dust off that bicycle....

Actually things will work OK until there is a disruption in you supply network.

With that bit of a windstorm over on the gulf coast, here in AZ, this evening I saw a couple of local gas stations closed due to lack of gas and the word is that the Circle K stores are also going to be out, real soon. We are gonna have a bit of a disruption in supply, it seems......

How long, I don't know.

Gee, I guess I'm glad that we have our own formulation. :P Um, no I'm not. The news had it on tonight that regular unleaded at a Chevron near SF State Univ had it for $3.25 a gallon. I paid 2.83 this morning locally (I live 25 miles east of SF in the burbs). I think the state average outside the bay area is like $2.77 and probably going up.

Bleh.

Vince

Two words: ENERGY INDEPENDENCE

We need it NOW. Price are a reflection of market fluctuations. What market? WORLD market. If we relied to a greater degree on US source energy, we would be less subject to forces beyond our border (and beyond our control).

Couple of other solutions?

Diesel: We pay good $$$ for waste disposal of usable, refined, diesel fuel. Yep - we throw it out & pay to do it. Take a look at www.greasecar.com So simple, it is unbelievable. US- source fuel is dumped into land fills. Don’t want to deal with the mess personally? Fine - but why are all the 18 wheel trucks running on premium imported diesel? We all pay for that every day.

As for US source diesel, we can GROW all we want through crops like rape seed & pay the energy $$$ to US farmers to do it. Do an internet search on "bio-diesel" - the President visited a refinery here in VA a few weeks back & he is aware of it. The energy $$$ we pay at the pump generally goes right back into an economy - only its often the Saudi or Venezualan economy. Switch to US source bio-diesel and this time it is OUR economy & not the Saudis. Bio-Diesel NEARLY costs the same as refined diesel. Now, it costs bout 5% more now due to small production, but what are the other down sides?

-better cetane (more power)

-better milage

-fewer emissions than current or 2006 standard diesel

-cleaner engine (fewer repair costs)

-NO modification to any diesel engines

Hydrogen: I know the fuel-cell hoopla. Did you know that Mazda has a model of the 2005-2006 RX-8 car that runs on BOTH hydrogen and gasoline? Two tanks & you can switch fuels with a switch & keep driving. They have been refining the working design it every year since 1991.

Energy independence is easily within our grasp; it is time that we, as voters DEMAND it through legislation that is far more effective than the recent, weak “energy bill”.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

I'm not kidding with this. Last night's news had a story about a local lab/inventor that has found a way to make a gasoline substitute out of chickens/chicken parts. No details were given about the process or formula. The rep from the company said that the gas substitute can be made for pennies a gallon. Sadly the firm has been closed down bacause of complaints coming from other tenants in the shared building. Apparently the odor  coming from the lab permeates an entire building with offices rented by other companies.

Perhaps this concoction will be the salvation of the SUV.

http://www.changingworldtech.com/

Multiple plants currently running. Yes it does make light crude (or better) out of chicken bits. Yes, it operates profitably (specially now). Yes you can throw any oragnic crap at it, and I mean crap as in sweage, and it will mail light curde and a couple of of other usefull bits.

However, while it seems like a great way to make MORE oil and to recycle agricultural waste, it can not be a replacement. We would have to cover the world in chickens or whatever else to make enough oil. REALLY cool technology, but its output is limited as well.

As for US source diesel, we can GROW all we want through crops like rape seed & pay the energy $$$ to US farmers to do it.

Well it is a nice idea, but do something no one wants admit to is that the math doesnt work for 2 reasons.

First given current rapeseed or soy crop yield vs the amount of biodiesel per pound of raw veggies, we dont have anywhere near enough land to grow it all.

Secondly, growing high yield crops uses artificial plant food which uses oil. You are going to need more oil to raise and transport the plants then you get out it. In a lab, it all works great, at market scale there are some problems.

I saw an article about a California company (Colusa, CA) that is turning rice straw into alternative energy, ethanol I believe. Even though they figured out the technology to do it, without industry gearing up and producing from their source (rice straw waste) there isn't any incentive to do so on a large scale. I think to produce 300 gallons of ethanol, it requires like 4 tons of the waste rice straw. It can be done, but at what cost of gasoline will a profit or a break even point be made? Until prices go up considerably and private industry takes a chance on building the capacity, we just aren't going to see alternative fuels become favored. If I had a diesel and the room in my garage I would probably do the biodiesel thing, but for now I'm stuck burning Gas and paying the price.

Vince

NJ top gas price I heard of today was 3.29 for regular with super at 3.59.. same station.

If you are in NJ and low on gas, the rest stop stations can't up prices until thursday so you can hit them now for last weeks prices.

As for thermal process conversion, the trick is to make smaller TPC refineries and to capitalize on waste that doesn't have to be transported far.

I think tri-state urban sewage is a real good source.. We need a poop pipeline running into a facility like that.

As for covering the world in chickens. Anything organic can be used. We ALREADY cover the earth with anything organic.

Howabout I stop PAYING to recycle paper and plastic by having it carted to a landfill, and dump it in the gazinta of a TPC refinery?

routing of sewage, building smaller refineries near large landfills. Put these thing places that we ALREADY inevest the energy cost of moving material to.

Bio-diesel is cute, and might be a good solution for augmenting trucking and construction, but it has issues with cold weahter, cost, and if we tried to move everyone... well lets jsut say that farm subsidies getting cut will meet resistance, and the reality is a lot of land subsidized to not grow soybeans or not grow corn couldn't grow either if you had to.

A few facts from my cousin Rob, who is employed by Cummins, maker of fine, diesel engines:

- Biodiesel is not ready for prime time. Only true diesel provides the lubricating qualities necessary for proper engine operation. IIRC, anything over a mix of 10% biodiesel will pretty much wreck an engine.

Yes, there are people demoing vehicles running on 100% biodiesel. They all neglect to tell you about the astronomical maintenance costs.

====================================================

I'm all for growing gas, but it needs to be economically sensible technology. It makes no sense at all to burn natural gas, coal, or another fossil fuel to create ethanol. The value of the energy liberated needs to be greater than the cost of the energy input into the process. Unfortunately, massive government subsidies mask reality.

Same goes for hydrogen cars. They are a monument to scientific and mathematical illiteracy. It makes no sense to use electricity to create hydrogen when you can simply plug the car into the wall and avoid a hugely inefficent (and expensive) intermediate step.

====================================================

This "gas crisis" just like the one in the 70's, is man-made, and as soon as intellectually-challenged futures traders and eco whackos quit manipulating the system, prices will return to reality. If I hear one more talking head drone on about "well, there were only so many dinosaurs, and now we're running out..."

The ignorance is stupefying as even young schoolchildren know that petroleum is primarily the product of decayed, compressed vegetable matter.

$5.00 doesn't sound too bad right now here in Mobile. There isn't any gas. The few stations that have any have lines about 1/4 mile long stretched down the highway.

I'm thinking of driving north and east tomorrow in search of fossil fuel derivitives :blink:

Fortunately, we were without power only three days. Our power came back on this afternoon. Now I don't have to feed the generator 5 gallons a day.

dj

out here in nor cal, absolutely zero gas comes from the southern area...most is in state with some from alaska and the big sand box. nevertheless, gas spiked $.23 on tuesday and another $.14 today...just saw it for $3.19 this morning...talk about bending over!