Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How is savage 10 bolt action rifle ?

Leohe8888

I'm looking for a long range rifle have $1000 budget for gun only . The savege 10 asbury precision rifle looks good . But i don't know how it work ? And what kind ammo is good for twist 1:10 , somebody say fgmm 168gr , somebody say 175 or 185gr . I have no idea.

If you know that please tech me !

Thank you !

Edited by Leohe8888

I have a savage 10 in 6.5 creedmoor. I can hold my own against any of the custom rifles at the range. The gun is incredibly accurate for any price range, let alone the 750 bucks I paid for it. It was around 900 when I bought it plus 150 mail in rebate. I put a $630 factory refurbished vortex viper pst ffp 6-24 on it and was off to the races. Taken her out to 1000 yards many times. With handloads for me it’s a 1/4 moa gun. With factory loads it’s just over half moa. The bullets mine likes the best is the 123g lapua scenar and the 120g SMK. It also shoots the 147g eld well, I’ve pushed it up to 2700fps. It loved RL17 the best, regardless of the bullet, which sucks cause I bought 8lbs of h4350 when I first bought it. It shots 4350 pretty well, still sub moa, but just not as well as rl17.

My 6.5 is obviously different then a 308, but it should be just as accurate. Savages  blue printing process produces very high quality rifles. I have some 1:10 308s and they like the heavier buckets, with the 175g match king being the best. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Jfitz427 said:

I have a savage 10 in 6.5 creedmoor. I can hold my own against any of the custom rifles at the range. The gun is incredibly accurate for any price range, let alone the 750 bucks I paid for it. It was around 900 when I bought it plus 150 mail in rebate. I put a $630 factory refurbished vortex viper pst ffp 6-24 on it and was off to the races. Taken her out to 1000 yards many times. With handloads for me it’s a 1/4 moa gun. With factory loads it’s just over half moa. The bullets mine likes the best is the 123g lapua scenar and the 120g SMK. It also shoots the 147g eld well, I’ve pushed it up to 2700fps. It loved RL17 the best, regardless of the bullet, which sucks cause I bought 8lbs of h4350 when I first bought it. It shots 4350 pretty well, still sub moa, but just not as well as rl17.

My 6.5 is obviously different then a 308, but it should be just as accurate. Savages  blue printing process produces very high quality rifles. I have some 1:10 308s and they like the heavier buckets, with the 175g match king being the best. Good luck. 

Thank you very much ! I will order it and try FGM308M2 bullets.

I loaded some 175 RDF's over AR Comp for my buddies 10FCP and it shoots sub MOA at 300 yards.  That was just a quick load session with my Lyman Gen 6, no trickling, and no load workup.  I just picked a 41.0gr load and ran with it.  It shot better than 168gr FGMM and any of the factory Barnes 150gr or 168gr TTSX.    The rifle shot nearly as well with cheap Federal 180gr power point bullets.   So, in short, the 1:10 Savage .308 barrels seem to like the heavier bullets. 

16 hours ago, chevrofreak said:

I loaded some 175 RDF's over AR Comp for my buddies 10FCP and it shoots sub MOA at 300 yards.  That was just a quick load session with my Lyman Gen 6, no trickling, and no load workup.  I just picked a 41.0gr load and ran with it.  It shot better than 168gr FGMM and any of the factory Barnes 150gr or 168gr TTSX.    The rifle shot nearly as well with cheap Federal 180gr power point bullets.   So, in short, the 1:10 Savage .308 barrels seem to like the heavier bullets. 

Thanks a lot , i order some fgmm 185grain for test .

I have a Savage 10 I bought from Cabela’s a few years ago. I use it for 600 yard shooting at my local club. It’s an incredible shooter. Here is a target I shot while load testing. It will give you an idea of what a Savage rifle is capable of. Plus you can see my recipes. 34df9a4067bf150edc2cccfaad20052b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, RAP said:

I have a Savage 10 I bought from Cabela’s a few years ago. I use it for 600 yard shooting at my local club. It’s an incredible shooter. Here is a target I shot while load testing. It will give you an idea of what a Savage rifle is capable of. Plus you can see my recipes. 34df9a4067bf150edc2cccfaad20052b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Amazing !!! How to do that 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/11/2019 at 3:56 PM, Leohe8888 said:

I'm looking for a long range rifle have $1000 budget for gun only . The savege 10 asbury precision rifle looks good . But i don't know how it work ? And what kind ammo is good for twist 1:10 , somebody say fgmm 168gr , somebody say 175 or 185gr . I have no idea.

If you know that please tech me !

Thank you !

Savage is a Great gun 

When you have one of the worlds best in ballistics  using it to build his rifles and  test  BC's and data then take notice.   Look up brian litz with applied ballistics , Those guys love the guns

I've got a Savage 10 in 308 and I could not be happier with the rifle. I threw a vortex scope on it and it easily out shoots me.

My only hang up is the stock mine came with is plastic and feels cheap. There are a couple replacement options available though. Other than that I highly recommend the Savage.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...