Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

18-09 I Miss That Kind of Clarity

https://uspsa.org/viewer//18-09.pdf

Shot classifier 18-09 I Miss That Kind of Clarity yesterday in PCC...  Fun stage...  I shot 3 targets from the back fault line, then ran up while reloading  and shot the remaining 3 from the front fault line...  Did the reverse for the second string...  I underestimated how difficult it would be to run backwards and reload a rifle.

Scored a low 'B' percentage...  If I had it to do over again...  I would shoot the left and right targets on both sides and shoot the remaining target up front on the move...  Then reload and be pretty close to the other fault line by then...  for the final 3 targets.  I didn't do it this way yesterday because I thought the almost 180 degree transitions would be slower than just shooting all three in progression and running up.

I shot it the same way at the same match! Mag didn't drop free on the second reload, 73% Open. I thought that this was a really interesting classifier and a better test of skills than the typical "6 Reload 6" variant.

But, why is it VIRGINIA count? That was strange to me.

4 hours ago, Balakay said:

I shot it the same way at the same match! Mag didn't drop free on the second reload, 73% Open. I thought that this was a really interesting classifier and a better test of skills than the typical "6 Reload 6" variant.

But, why is it VIRGINIA count? That was strange to me.

Small world!  It was a fun classifier...  I need to practice reloading on the move in PCC...  and adding another mag pouch to my PCC belt.

Most classifiers without steel are Virginia count...  Guess they don't want you to hose them.

1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

It was a fun classifier...  I need to practice reloading on the move in PCC... 

We shot it last month at a local match but not as a classifier (maybe not setup 100% to the WSB).  I've practiced a moving forward reload with a PCC but reloading and backing up?  Never tried it.

I ran 1st string engaging three targets and then reloaded as I moved forward. 

On the second string I shot the right target and two middle targets.  Then a reload, engaged the far left target and moved back.

Probably not the best way to do it.  Second string was just under 3 seconds slower than the 1st.

Shot this classifier last weekend.  Personally I like this kind of classifier more than the typical stand-and-shoot classifiers.  Biggest challenge for me was remembering which of the two middle targets to engage from either position.

I debated on how to shoot it.  Shoot all three from up range then move, or go left-right and shoot one of the middle ones on the move.    Ended up on String 1 shooting left then right and engaged one of the middle targets on the move, reload then left-middle-right.  On String 2, went left-middle-right, reload while retreating, then right-middle-left (with a slight pause on the middle array as my brain caught up and confirmed that I was shooting at the correct target...).  

To keep it simple on the middle array  I decided to always shoot the left one first and the right one after the reload.  

On the squad I was shooting on, one poor guy forgot the reload on String 1, another confused soul put 6 hits on the left middle and 2 on the right middle.  Bit of a brain teaser...  

• 4 weeks later...

Pcc- I shot first string 6.56, upper right target, back middle right target, Upper left target, running reload back middle left target, left target right target. Second string was reverse 7.16 

total of 13.72 A 17 C 5 D 2 73.03 percent 

On 1/8/2019 at 1:56 PM, 2MoreChains said:

Biggest challenge for me was remembering which of the two middle targets to engage from either position.

Yep, on my squad we also had two shooters with 6 shots on one middle target and 2 shots on the other. trickier than is seems.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I shot this last month in PCC at 84%. It is a tricky one and this was my first all classifier match, but super fun for a classifier I thought. I ultimately shot it correctly but did have a brain fade remembering which middle target I had already shot on string 1 even though I thought I had burned it in. Also, I got real carried away on the rearward movement on string 2 and came clear out of the shooting area, had to correct and finish shooting. I think those two things cost me enough time to keep me out of Master territory. On the second string I shot 3 targets, reload 4th target, then move. It would be interesting to try it different ways for sure but I figured that my rearward reload wouldn't be as solid as standing, and assuming I could make up for it with wicked speed is what made me totally miss my mark and step out of the shooting area. I ultimately made Master that day but this stage was fun enough and interesting enough that it's one I would have liked another shot at.

It looks like the best way to shoot this imo is

movingforward string

left middle rear right 

reload on the move 

Left front right middle right front

backwards moving

leftnfront both middle reload right front 

back right back left.  

Im hoping to get this set up and practice it to see just what works best.  I hate the idea of a standing reload but I hatereloading moving backwards more 

• 2 months later...

Just shot this at our last match this past weekend. I shoot limited major (unclassified) and this was my 2nd classifier since moving to Limited. Wasn’t sure how to attack this classifier but it worked out ok. I had A:17 C:5 D:1 M:1 and shot a B percentage. That mike kept me from an A run. CZ TSO .40sw 

String 1

https://youtu.be/UjMfJbRQOJM

Second string 

https://youtu.be/pP1Xfnse1yU

• 3 weeks later...

Two questions...

1. Anyone have PCC video of this? I'll figure out if it's better for me to reload before moving on string2 or after running back, but a video might save me some testing.

2. How much distance can you move forward from string1 start while still seeing the left and right targets? @waktasz video appears to be only a couple feet, so I'm not sure it's worth moving before shooting both of those.

ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION:

Edited by Bifurcate

• 3 months later...

I shot this one yesterday at my second-ever USPSA match.  21.52 seconds, 13A/9C/2D, 94 points.  4.368 HF, good for 44.8%.  (Production, 92fs)

At the first match, the classifier was Can You Count; the score for that one won't go to USPSA as I wasn't a member yet, but I seem to be trending toward a C classification to start.

Edited by Eric802

1 hour ago, Eric802 said:

I shot this one yesterday at my second-ever USPSA match.  21.52 seconds, 13A/9C/2D, 94 points.  4.368 HF, good for 44.8%.  (Production, 92fs)

At the first match, the classifier was Can You Count; the score for that one won't go to USPSA as I wasn't a member yet, but I seem to be trending toward a C classification to start.

If you joined within 30 days of shooting that classifier it should count.

3 minutes ago, NMBOpen said:

If you joined within 30 days of shooting that classifier it should count.

No kidding...I did, so is that the kind of thing that happens automatically or do I need to ask the MD from the first match to submit it?