Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm factory major ammo preference (if you can’t reload)

Posvar

What do you all like if you can’t reload at the moment? I had a little sample pack of Everglades and Black Dot and liked the Everglades the best. I hear Atlanta Arms is nice too. I prefer to shoot 124g.

Thoughts?

I’ve tried it (Everglades) and there is some time to test more prior to the match but I won’t have time to switch my press over before the match but can shoot/test in my backyard. If I have an issue I’ll shoot limited with the Wildcat. I’m not scared 😬

I just picked up some of the Federal Syntech Action Pistol 150gr to try out in my X5, but I have not had a chance to shoot it yet.  Got a pretty good deal at Brownells for about $100 for 500 rounds after coupon code and rebate.

Oops, you said major.  Never mind.  Its been a long day.

Edited by Zeros

I use both Black Dot and Everglades. I don’t have the time, the space, or the patience to reload. So far, Black dot has run 100% but seems to be maybe a little less accurate/consistent than Everglades for some reason. I had so far 2 Everglades rounds that didn’t feed, so I checked them and they were really short. Like 1.115 short. I found one round new in the box that was this short too, so they probably didn’t get pushed in during the misfeed. Doesn’t happen very often, but I think that before an important match, probably best to bust out the calipers and check each one. All the Black Dot are 1.15ish, and the Everglades are 1.14 ish. The ones that were these lengths all feed fine in my 2011. I also had one Everglades that didn’t ignite for some reason, haven’t figured out why. It may be my lightweight hammer so I’m changing that out to something a little less light weight. I haven’t tried Atlanta  Arms because it’s 147 and I want to stay consistent with 124 since there are no other ready to go options with 147 and I don’t want to run into supply issues in the middle of the season, etc. I don’t care about new brass vs reman because all my brass gets left on the range anyway. Supposedly both companies case gauge their ammoHope this is helpful. Both are good options, they are a little different. 

Edited by Silverscooby27

Thanks for all the info guys. I am getting my press set back up now for major and decided to just shoot limited this weekend. It is good to know there are factory options for the future.