Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remove thumb rest ?

racer-x

I've used a *thumb rest [generic]* a few years now, but started having some pain in my left thumb a month ago. Could be unrelated to shooting and could be I started using more force on thumb than I am aware of.

As a test, I shot a bunch of drills with my thumb under the rest yesterday and the gun still returned to POA very quickly. Was a little surprised actually with how nicely the gun handled and my hits (bill drill, etc.).  Anyway, took it off to revisit how I shoot without the rest and extra point of contact for a while.  Another thing I noticed, was that my support hand is making more contact with the grip when not using the thumb rest. The grip on my Chaos is very aggressive - new points of contact are easy to identify :)

Just curious if anyone else has decided to remove their thumb rests, and if so, why.

I began with one, took it off and shot with out it for about 1.5 years, recently(one match) reinstalled it, actually felt my first few dry fire sessions were better due to the thumb forward with no pedal instinct was translating aggressively applying forward grip pressure, so in short ill stick with it on for a bit, not enough live for to say one way or another is better, but honestly it felt pretty good reinstalled

I think they are beneficial also.  I believe you may have to experiment a little to find the one that fits you best.  I tried all kinds before I settled on anything.  You may find that the placement of one is way different from another.  I always noticed on a couple that I tried and some that other guys use that it literally causes my hand to lose contact with certain parts of the grip like you mentioned experiencing.  I prefer on that sits a little lower and not as far forward.......those were the ones that got my grip a little screwed up.  

Does anyone have any experiences or comments about the double Alpha adjustable model? I bought one to put on my Limited pistol a while back never did. I just acquired a new open gun with none on it and may consider trying it out.

In my humble opinion a thumb rest should be used as an anchor point but a majority of people use it as a pressure point. This will effect how the dot tracks quite a bit. Instead of straight up and down you get a slight sideways wave. I don’t use one because I think a proper grip won’t be made better with a thumb rest present.

• 4 weeks later...

I have some thumb pain on and off myself. I personal like the thumb rest that are flatter more like the original one on the DVC's that mounted under the ret dot mount. It felt better then the GoGun to me, GoGun just felt to straight up and down, the RHT feels better because its flatter.

So maybe removing it or a flatter one is the answer for you also.

I tried the GoGun but the angle was too steep, i.e., my thumb was pointed too high.  This was exacerbated by the fact that I have a horizontal mount for my C-More slide ride.  With the GoGun, my thumb really wouldn't fit under the mount.  I switched to a plastic Arrendondo and am pleased with it.  It helps with flatter shooting, but more importantly, helps me get the exact same grip on the gun every time.

I have used lots of the traditional ones and find them as a great point of contact to get a proper and consistent grip on the gun. Too far forward and you lose real estate on the grip. I’m now testing a Nitro Fin 2.0 on my open gun and like it as it’s closer to your hand. It’s all I use on my limited guns it feels great. Time will tell if it stays on the open gun

Got a gas pedal on my new (to me) Steel Master with a horizontal C-More slide ride.  I'm finding it difficult to consistently get a good grip on the draw because my left thumb hits the C-More rather than going under it to hit the gas pedal.  I'm sure a lot of dry fire draw practice would solve this, but I'm considering taking the gas pedal off and just shooting with both thumbs forward like I did for years with a single stack 1911.  Muscle memory is great until you want to change what you trained for!

• 2 weeks later...