Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance you would be willing to elaborate on what needs modding on the drum to make it work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Replace the factory tower with a RIA 2rd mag, smooth out the transition and make any clearance cuts to get the back cover on w the new tower

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My VR80 arrives today.

I changed a 9rd to a 10 last night. Pretty simple operation-cut about 1" off the follower and rounded the edges. 

Drum is due to arrive Saturday and 19 rounder whenever they ship it.

This should sure be better than quad loading.

Dave

Ok.  I have gone through all of the posts and still have a couple questions.

#1   Sounds like all you need for a stock is the outer adjustable part.  It is my understanding that the commercial tube inside is already set up for a 6 position outer.  Is this true??

#2   What are you guys feeding these things??  Will they shoot just about anything?  Cheap Walmart Fed or Win? Or is there a particular velocity they like?

Thank you in advance.  Hope i didn't miss this info somewhere in the pages.

1 minute ago, VU2AKILL said:

#1   Sounds like all you need for a stock is the outer adjustable part.  It is my understanding that the commercial tube inside is already set up for a 6 position outer.  Is this true??

#2   What are you guys feeding these things??  Will they shoot just about anything?  Cheap Walmart Fed or Win? Or is there a particular velocity they like?

#1 yes the commercial tube inside is already 6 position.  Me and intensel just slammed a magpul CTR on there and it works perfectly fine

#2 mine tends to like hotter ammo.  I usually go with the walmart federal 1250 and it works fine.  I dont think these should have any issues with 1200 stuff and there are some reports of people using 1150.  But just to make sure things work correctly id just stick to 1250

1. Yes
2. Start w 1250-1300 fps 1-1/8oz target loads for break in ... After 100 or so it should start to run lighter. Hull quality is key for box fed so while it may run crap bulk, don't count on it

5 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

#1 yes the commercial tube inside is already 6 position.  Me and intensel just slammed a magpul CTR on there and it works perfectly fine

#2 mine tends to like hotter ammo.  I usually go with the walmart federal 1250 and it works fine.  I dont think these should have any issues with 1200 stuff and there are some reports of people using 1150.  But just to make sure things work correctly id just stick to 1250

Thank you.

5 hours ago, IntenseImage said:

1. Yes
2. Start w 1250-1300 fps 1-1/8oz target loads for break in ... After 100 or so it should start to run lighter. Hull quality is key for box fed so while it may run crap bulk, don't count on it

Thank you.

21 hours ago, VU2AKILL said:

The regukar stock is working just fine for me (long monkey arms). I might replace it eventually, but have other priorities at this point. 

I was originally frustrated by my gun not liking anything that I shot through it until I found “high velocity” rounds (1350fps) from Monarch at Academy.  They are pretty cheap ($5.50 a box) and the gun loves them. Haven’t tried anything else yet bc they work just fine. 

6 minutes ago, PepperMD2001 said:

The regukar stock is working just fine for me (long monkey arms). I might replace it eventually, but have other priorities at this point. 

I was originally frustrated by my gun not liking anything that I shot through it until I found “high velocity” rounds (1350fps) from Monarch at Academy.  They are pretty cheap ($5.50 a box) and the gun loves them. Haven’t tried anything else yet bc they work just fine. 

You have to run 200 to 300 rounds of high velocity stuff through it to break in the spring before you can run the 1200 or 1250 stuff

2 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

You have to run 200 to 300 rounds of high velocity stuff through it to break in the spring before you can run the 1200 or 1250 stuff

My M3K was the same way.  Now it will eat almost anything.

I have a stroager

I have yet to run it in a comp where it actually works

always seems like something stupid happens
What exactly happens ... Put shells in, pull trigger to dispense. Seems fairly simple [emoji1787]

18 minutes ago, IntenseImage said:

What exactly happens ... Put shells in, pull trigger to dispense. Seems fairly simple emoji1787.png

Well let's see. One time the shells wouldnt extract. Ok changed extractor, the next time the trigger was freezing up, dont know what cause that or how it got fixed, one time the bolt wasnt coming back all the way to chamber the next round. One time the follower was getting stuck in the magazine tube. One time in the middle of the match the shell drop stopped working, like what drops the shells into the breach so you can chamber them..... at a certain point I just stuck it in my closet and starting using my 20 year old pump action.

Well let's see. One time the shells wouldnt extract. Ok changed extractor, the next time the trigger was freezing up, dont know what cause that or how it got fixed, one time the bolt wasnt coming back all the way to chamber the next round. One time the follower was getting stuck in the magazine tube. One time in the middle of the match the shell drop stopped working, like what drops the shells into the breach so you can chamber them..... at a certain point I just stuck it in my closet and starting using my 20 year old pump action.
Give ya $100 for it

3 minutes ago, IntenseImage said:

Give ya $100 for it

Eh...at some point I might get the motivation to fix it up. After I finish my pcc project I'll have basically nothing left to tinker with so I'll be forced to actually confront the shotty and ask it what the hell its problem is

The VR 80 is home and runs like a top. I've fed it a variety of birdshot and it has been flawless. The 5 and 9 (now10) round mags all work as does the 20 round drum

I put a Trijicon reflex sight I've had for years on it and zeroed it with slugs at 50 yds.

I'll put another 100 rounds through it and then install the Taccom buffer.

Dave

7 minutes ago, Airedale said:

The VR 80 is home and runs like a top. I've fed it a variety of birdshot and it has been flawless. The 5 and 9 (now10) round mags all work as does the 20 round drum

I put a Trijicon reflex sight I've had for years on it and zeroed it with slugs at 50 yds.

I'll put another 100 rounds through it and then install the Taccom buffer.

Dave

I have the taccom buffer. It works. I think the largest thing is having the compensator