Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cone comps

amish_rabbi

If you are making a steel gun, you would save weight with a standard "match grade" barrel with bushing and a comp threaded onto the barrel past the bushing.

Might even try to find an Aluminum Comp.

The cone/bull barrels are heavier than a barrel with a bushing.  Since you can load light, 100 grain bullets at 1100 f/s or both less even you will be needing lighter slides, barrel, comp and springs to insure functioning.  Now where to find them?

On 11/16/2018 at 8:57 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Why would it need a cone comp? Rebarrel it with a bull barrel and standard type comp. Thanks, Eric

I already have a standard barrel for it and I didn't want the extra weight since it is just going to shoot minor anyways

Thanks for all the suggestions I'll look them up.

In my Open guns I have both type of barrels.  With identical steel comps, the coned barrel is considerably lighter.  BTW, I shoot major in both.  If I wanted a fast transitioning steel gun, I'd send your gun, along with an EGW conversion cone and Ti Hybrid comp to Gans Guns and have him fit and align ream everything.  He will work with Ti comps, as long as you agree to the extra cost and acknowledge it will come loose more often than steel.

I am building a 1911 steel gun right now.  I am going to experiment.  The barrel that is already fit is a Trubore Blank I bought from Eric (above).  He put his custom comp cuts in it.  I plan to flute the barrel to remove some weight.  After I'm done I plan to buy a Kart bushing barrel and do just what I recommended above.  It should end up 4 or 5 oz lighter than the Trubore setup.  Then I'll see how much (if any) it transitions faster. 

On 11/21/2018 at 8:31 AM, zzt said:

In my Open guns I have both type of barrels.  With identical steel comps, the coned barrel is considerably lighter.  BTW, I shoot major in both.  If I wanted a fast transitioning steel gun, I'd send your gun, along with an EGW conversion cone and Ti Hybrid comp to Gans Guns and have him fit and align ream everything.  He will work with Ti comps, as long as you agree to the extra cost and acknowledge it will come loose more often than steel.

I am building a 1911 steel gun right now.  I am going to experiment.  The barrel that is already fit is a Trubore Blank I bought from Eric (above).  He put his custom comp cuts in it.  I plan to flute the barrel to remove some weight.  After I'm done I plan to buy a Kart bushing barrel and do just what I recommended above.  It should end up 4 or 5 oz lighter than the Trubore setup.  Then I'll see how much (if any) it transitions faster. 

that would be an interesting gun. I ended up running some minor through the current 38 super barrel and it runs just fine so I'll stick with it as is for now and keep this barrel around for a conversion cone and perhaps the binary engineering comp, that one has always interested me.