Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stacked target hit on T2

9x45

Shooter had 1 Alpha on T1, above, and the 2nd hit was on T2, below, but the the perforate line was on T2. He claimed 2 A's on T1, I say the hit on T2 was on the scoring area of T2, not T1. It was on the perf, but inside the target area of T2.  Didn't get a pic, but this was what T2 looked like.

IPSC_LG.png

Trying to understand your explanation, but if 2 targets are stacked, one in front of the other, and the round bisects/touches the outer perforation of the front target and the area behind is a scoring area, it counts on both targets if needed.  I think that’s what you were asking?  So potentially there could be 3 holes making 4 scores.

If it touched the perf on T2 then it also counts as a hit on T1.  If T1 had been a NS he would have been given a NS penalty.  It is usually a good idea to put some form of a hard cover or a No Shoot between the targets to separate the scoring areas.

5 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

Ok, just have never seen that before...

Look at #4 of the target scoring examples on page 239 in the back of the rule book. It shows getting credit for 2 targets with one hole.

Edited by ChuckS

1 hour ago, Nathanb said:

Exactly. If you stack targets you should separate them with hard cover or a no shoot to avoid these scenarios. 

Hardcover yes, a  no-shoot just changes the scoring scenario to one with a penalty.

Mostly using hard cover or a no-shoot serves to make the visual distinction between the targets easier for the shooter, I use then most of the time when building stages but I also like to add some stacked targets without them to force the shooter to define their aiming point without that visual aid.