Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZC vs Cajun vs Automatic Accuracy

Swanny10

Hypothetical question...

If you were buying an S2 which of the aforementioned versions would you choose? (Assuming you were trying to purchase a high end production legal gun)

Those choices are far from all inclusive. Any other options are welcomed to be added to the conversation. As I said, this is hypothetical as I already purchased my Shadow. 

Looking forward to the opinions. 

I've bought three S2's.. Two of them are CZC customized and one was off the shelf commercial. The two CZC guns were great. Nothing about their work was ever an issue.

When I bought the third gun, I found out from rowdyb about CJ Maven in Conway AR. I send the gun to CJ with instructions to make it as good a competition gun as he could. He turned it around in 10 days. It became the best of the three guns in trigger smoothness, pretravel, and trigger pull force. The cost was very reasonable. In total it was less than the CZC portion of their work on the other two including my transportation cost.

I want to make it clear that I liked the CZC guns and was completely satisfied with them. However the CJ gun became my favorite and gradually I got to where I only wanted to shoot it. So I asked CJ if he could make one of the CZC guns more like this one. He did so I sent him my third one and now all the guns are nearly identical.

CJ is a member of this forum. I highly recommend him. He is fast, very good and cheaper than the bigger places. 

2 hours ago, Nathanb said:

If you need a better gun than one you drop in czc parts or cgw parts I’d be surprised.  The shadow 2 is just flat out a good gun. Once you do those upgrades it’s a great one

I agree.  You can upgrade the Shadow 2 yourself, all with drop in parts, and have a fantastic shooter.  I'm totally for gaining every advantage you can attain.  But honestly, most people who own a car will never reach its top speed....not even a with a mid-sized family sedan.

2 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

I agree.  You can upgrade the Shadow 2 yourself, all with drop in parts, and have a fantastic shooter.  I'm totally for gaining every advantage you can attain.  But honestly, most people who own a car will never reach its top speed....not even a with a mid-sized family sedan.

Yeah like I said, this is more of an opinion poll. I know my gun isn’t “holding me back”. I’m just new to the platform and was trying to gain some insight into the shadow world. 

This is all so subjective, IMO!

I've had ones from all three. Each one is/was awesome!

In my hands, the most accurate CZ I've ever had was a bone stock S2 that I traded to Rowdy! Pretty sure he shoots it stock!  

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one form any of the three!  Or buy one stock, test it out, and then upgrade if needed!  

Get the CGW S2 kit for 285 with the bushing and install it all yourself using instructions and YouTube videos so you can learn how your gun operates and put a few extra holes in your drywall along the way. It's the true CZ experience

I sent my CZ TS down to CGW to have his polish job, take the little bit of creep out of the trigger and Cerakote the frame.  Well, I got a phone call that said this that and the other thing was bad and he had to replace them.  New transfer bar, sear, hammer, trigger pin, bushing, etc.  $550 later the only real difference is a very slight reduction in creep, and the frame is now black.  Definitely not worth the money.  I've never dealt with Automatic Accuracy, but everything I've bought from or had done by CZC has been spot on.  I'd definitely use them again.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

I sent my CZ TS down to CGW to have his polish job, take the little bit of creep out of the trigger and Cerakote the frame.  Well, I got a phone call that said this that and the other thing was bad and he had to replace them.  New transfer bar, sear, hammer, trigger pin, bushing, etc.  $550 later the only real difference is a very slight reduction in creep, and the frame is now black.  Definitely not worth the money.  I've never dealt with Automatic Accuracy, but everything I've bought from or had done by CZC has been spot on.  I'd definitely use them again.

I have a feeling that you might come under fire for that story but I appreciate the honesty. 

16 hours ago, Swanny10 said:

I have a feeling that you might come under fire for that story but I appreciate the honesty. 

I caught a bunch of flack when I said the CGW race hammer isn't any better than the factory CZUB race hammer. Some of the Cajun products are great, some are just ok. 

CGW  and CZC are great for putting packages together and for putting in the time an effort to build and design what we need to improve our guns.

some smiths do great work with the factory parts and can deliver amazing guns.

We’re lucky that we have 3 or 4 great options and each offers something special.

On 9/27/2018 at 9:55 AM, B_RAD said:

accurate CZ I've ever had was a bone stock S2 that I traded to Rowdy! 

You're never getting that gun back!

I've used cgw parts. I've used tons of czc parts and owned a few guns direct from them. I've had multiple guns from mink at aa and used to work for him. I also have had a good handful of cj maven guns.

Each has their own flavor and idiosyncrasies.

If you want to PM me for my private opinion I'll gladly share it there.

Edited by rowdyb

25 minutes ago, Swanny10 said:

Excuse my ignorance but, who is the “we” you refer to?

the person you know as eerw is an employee of cz custom. and in full disclosure i was once an employee at automatic accuracy as a gun smith. now i do stuff with cj maven but not as a paid employee.

11 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

the person you know as eerw is an employee of cz custom. and in full disclosure i was once an employee at automatic accuracy as a gun smith. now i do stuff with cj maven but not as a paid employee.

Good to know. I didn’t know if  eerw was an acronym for some company that I was unaware of. 

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

Which is odd because in a thread about CZC followers and springs he acted like he was just some guy when I brought up how poor the quality was. 

Edited by 858

18 minutes ago, 858 said:

Which is odd because in a thread about CZC followers and springs he acted like he was just some guy when I brought up how poor the quality was. 

Not that I know anything, but I just read that thread and it seemed like he was quite helpful. Perhaps he is a czc employee who doesn’t want/isn’t allowed to be on here in an official capacity? 

Pure speculation on my part. 

16 hours ago, Swanny10 said:

Not that I know anything, but I just read that thread and it seemed like he was quite helpful. Perhaps he is a czc employee who doesn’t want/isn’t allowed to be on here in an official capacity? 

Pure speculation on my part. 

EERW is very helpful both personally on the forum and at work at CZC. I have found EERW, CZC, and especially Rowdy to be totally honest and helpful to everybody. Just because either offers advice on the forum doesn't mean they are not upstanding citizens. I have gotten good advice and good products. There is no deception from these guys or CZC.

Rowdy hooked me up with CJ and as I said earlier, I could not be happier with that advice. Just because someone works (or did work) for a commercial enterprise does not mean they are not completely honest. IMHO these guys are honest.

Full disclosure...I do not and never have worked in any capacity in the gun industry. I am a retired IBM engineer.

Edited by Brooke