Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Student pulled out a pistol in a class behind an instructor

Yesterday I was working with some other instructors teaching a NRA personal protection outside the home class.  The students were told to stand easy and that one of the instructors was going forward to demonstrate a drill.  Another instructor gave the first instructor the go command and one of the students that was right behind the instructor forward of the line pulled out this pistol.  The lead instructor took command of the situation and the student was asked to leave the class.  I know there is a certain amount of nervousness the students have during the beginning of the class.  But to pull a pistol out behind anyone even if you hear a command shows a lack of focus.  I guess I'm asking what we could have don't to stop this from happening.  Maybe the instructors could have done something further to stop this from happening?(Please forgive me if I posted this in the incorrect forum.  I didn't see a forum that included this type of diccussion)

Edited by Salsantini
Grammer

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is dumbing down the intro even further. I know, you shouldn't have to, but based on this lesson you may want to include very specific warnings during the pre-range lecture that no one is to draw a firearm except when specifically commanded to do so.

But even that may not prevent a repeat...

Best of luck with the next class.

Not sure where else the instructor could have been, or why his physical position would dumfound someone.  The students were told to stand easy while the instructor went forward to demonstrate a drill.  

In every training class I have attended, an instructor at some point has stood in front of a bunch of other people who are wearing holstered pistols. And in every pistol match I have ever shot, competitor, scorekeepers, and range officers also stand in front of a bunch of other people who are wearing holstered pistols.

And at Gunsite, where I have taken a significant number of training courses and where I have competed in several pistol matches, the "other people wearing holstered pistols", are carrying loaded pistols, because it is a hot range.

I know that doesn't answer the original question, but I assure you that the conditions I have described (instructors and others standing directly in front of those wearing holstered pistols) are quite common.  

When I teach anything first thing I always try to do is get everyone laughing. It helps get people relaxed.

In a training environment most peoples brain functions better and they retain more basic information when they are relaxed. 

He tho

3 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Wait what. Did he pull the pistol out because he thought he was getting the command to pull out this pistol or did he pull it out because the instructor pulled the pistol out? Being nervous or anxious really isn't any excuse in either situation. 

He thought he heard the command to draw the pistol.  Lack of focus is a bad combination with firearms

On 9/17/2018 at 7:03 PM, hitman said:

When I teach anything first thing I always try to do is get everyone laughing. It helps get people relaxed.

In a training environment most peoples brain functions better and they retain more basic information when they are relaxed. 

That's not a bad idea. I could always give them a demonstration of precision shooting. The way I shoot should get more than a few laughs. ?

21 hours ago, Dranoel said:

We go to school (class) to learn. Not because we already know it all.

I totally agree. I try to be reassuring and positive with all the students.  If anything happens I calmly direct/re-direct the student.  Getting excited does nothing but escalate the issue. We all started out in the same spot.  

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, rowdyb said:

When I teach someone that green I have them unload before I ever step foot in front of them. So should they pull a pistol they are a few steps from being able to discharge their gun.

Good advice.  

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Rosswoodford said:

You’re not wrong, but there should be some common sense too, right?

There is no such thing as common sense when it comes to guns. People do stupid things with them every day. We ALL learn gun safety one of two ways: Either someone (like my grandfather) drilled it into your head until you were terrified if you screwed up you were gonna get a heavy hand to the back of the head. Or you learned the hard way from doing something stupid.

5 hours ago, Dranoel said:

There is no such thing as common sense when it comes to guns. People do stupid things with them every day. We ALL learn gun safety one of two ways: Either someone (like my grandfather) drilled it into your head until you were terrified if you screwed up you were gonna get a heavy hand to the back of the head. Or you learned the hard way from doing something stupid.

That’s fair. Some people just don’t get it, and that’s fine, but they need to make a genuine attempt to get there. ?