Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super light open gun

Chillywig

Super light AR's are popular due to a fad, they don't perform any better or worse.  It's personal preference.  IMO, the barrel weight out front is the biggest concern for an AR. 

I run an Atlas Chaos which is quite heavy, I think it's about 52oz. I don't feel slow when transitioning, but I practice transitions a lot and am in good shape.  If I was running minor only then maybe the extra grip weight wouldn't be worth it, but it certainly has less felt recoil than a plastic grip gun. Maybe a little less violent is the way to describe it.

2 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

Actually, the complex profiles and such associated with nailing a good grip is not a trivial matter.  I'm sure all models of current grips are closely guarded for good reason.  Companies won't even let models of magwells leave the building.  I'm not saying you can't find a skilled modeler willing to do it out of passion for free, but you've got to find the right person with the right tools and the right knowledge.

Same deal.  Scanners are expensive and the models they generate require a good amount of clean-up.  Not to mention you're probably infringing on someone else's work.

All 1911 drawings are available now, and maybe a traditional grip is too, but I haven't seen it yet. 

With a sample it is surprisingly cheap and easy.  I work with several rapid prototype companies.  For simple parts CAD drawings are quick and easy.  A 2011 grip is somewhat complex and would best be done with a 3D scanner.  From there you can decide if a 3D-Print or injection mold is the best way to go.  If injection mold, soft tooling or hard tooling.  It's not rocket surgery.

My two guns weigh in at 40 oz for the lighter set up and 61 oz for the heavy. Ironically the lighter gun needed the barrel sent in to have the chamber reamed to accept longer loads. I reassembled and without the barrel it weighs 30 oz and it feels too light aiming it at scale target. I could imagine a gun this light would be hard to run fast and accurate when pulling the trigger really quickly.

I think my biggest complaint about the heavy rig is carrying it around all day at a match. By the end of the day my hip is ready for me to go put the gun in the truck.

I foresee more tinkering in my future....

I just switched to open and was really liking my Gun light and was not really sold on adding a metal grip which I love on my Limited fun until I shot my buddies with a metal grip that was very heavy and after 1 mag I was sold on a heavy open gun 

I'm not an expert by any means but I see a trend.  My light guns are jumpy and my heavier guns are softer.  I like to have the feeling of a solid, heavy gun in my hands.  Light open guns with that much pressure and all feels like a toy.  I'd honestly just stop playing around and buy an Akai.  They're fairly heavy, but shoot the flattest and most accurately.  When I say heavy, they really aren't.  The weight comparatively to a DVC is more, but it swings and feels the same.  The weight is in the right places and feels like an extension of my body.  

I had a new gun built heavy. With a metal grip, heavy magwell and steel comp it weighs 64 ounces. I have 2 other big name open guns that will never shoot this soft or flat. A by product of no cuts is most likely superior longevity. The slide cycles faster than my splits. Couldn't be happier with the package.

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2018 at 3:27 AM, kneelingatlas said:

I've owned dozens of Open guns from 38-54oz and 4.1"-5.6" barrels and they're all awesome although I do like the feel of a light-weight shorty.

what's the weight of your shorty? plastics grip on a shorty? thanks a lot.

And here one is. I like it but still bought a steel grip because I really liked my sv Imm and I want it to feel as close to that as possible. In the mean time I shot it some with the plastic grip and surprisingly didn’t think it was that harsh. Definitely feels light and I actually like it more than I thought I would. Steel grip with a. Stainless magwell is being fitted now though and I’ll get some time to compare. Probably will keep the steel grip on it for the softer gun. 

6BA381DD-9CEC-43B9-B9AD-D0017BD26A9D.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
And here one is. I like it but still bought a steel grip because I really liked my sv Imm and I want it to feel as close to that as possible. In the mean time I shot it some with the plastic grip and surprisingly didn’t think it was that harsh. Definitely feels light and I actually like it more than I thought I would. Steel grip with a. Stainless magwell is being fitted now though and I’ll get some time to compare. Probably will keep the steel grip on it for the softer gun. 
6BA381DD-9CEC-43B9-B9AD-D0017BD26A9D.thumb.jpeg.0336aeabc2f74dd23a2c18f6557cf157.jpeg
That is about where my old gun was... I think it was 39. I liked it a lot but after shooting a super heavy short gun, I don't think I would go back.

• 3 months later...
On 12/5/2018 at 6:15 AM, Shmella said:

With the stainless magwell the balance pivots at or slightly behind the trigger .

bedelll.jpg

Any updates sir? As this is also where I’m headed. Would like to know if it helped make a shorty shoot softer? Less violent? Thanks in advance 

I actually haven’t shot it yet, I’ve had a lot of unexpected things happen lately and haven’t had a chance. 

I’ve owned an sv imm before and a heavy steel grip open middy and they were both much softer in the hand than this was with a plastic grip so I expect the feel to have softened up significantly. I’ll update once I get some rounds through it hopefully soon.