Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super light open gun

Chillywig

I have a very heavy open gun. Steel grip tungsten sleeved barrel. And I have a lighter open gun. Plastic grip titanium comp. Super light AR's are cool. Why aren't super light open guns? I know there's the whole "feel" aspect of this and on a limited gun heavy makes sense. But if the comp and poppels keep the gun flat and dot returns to target on both guns how is heavy and advantage?

My two guns shoot diferently but neither is uncomfortable shooting the same loads thru them. I seem to gravitate toward the lighter gun but the cool one is heavy. Right?

Hello: I like lighter open pistols and use 115 grain bullets as well. If an open pistol is heavy it just feels slow to me when transitioning from target to target. I tried the heavy metal grips, tungsten sleeve and a tungsten guide rod with tungsten reverse plug. Long heavy slide and heavy long frame. For me the lighter weight setup works better with a little weight out front on the comp. It balances right under the trigger guard where it intersects with the grip. Use a timer on some targets and see which one is faster for you. Thanks, Eric

I’d definitely be interested in a light weight gun just to check it out. I shot my DVC open for about 10k before adding a cheely steel grip and tungsten GR. I am a big fan of this gun set up heavy. I haven’t weighed it but I’m guessing it’s north of 50oz easily. With this gun I’ve shot mostly 125gr coated lead but prefer the 115 JHP load a little more. It’s got a little more pop but seems more controllable if that makes sense. I would have to guess that a gun weighing 15-20oz less would require a bit more grip pressure to keep tame.

6b0510d498bcc9f180c50b234850418b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd let the timer decide the outcome.  

Light ARs are cool with some people, I think a lot of those guys don't shoot high round counts though.  Personally, the light ones get real uncomfortable real quick.  My heavy Holland though, always a pleasure 3 barrels in.

Compensation is no cure-all. Therefore all the physical truths to managing recoil with non-compensated guns applies to compensated guns. So just because you have compensation it doesn't mean you automatically forego all other options to tune gun behavior. Weight and balance still work with compensated guns so there's legitimate reasons to experiment there. 

1 hour ago, shooterDrew said:

....I would have to guess that a gun weighing 15-20oz less would require a bit more grip pressure to keep tame.

Here's the thing. Imagine that "extra" grip pressure required for a light gun applied equally to a gun that shoots inherently softer. How good would that be?

I’m no expert, but I think, especially in open, balance is everything.  How the gun sits in your grip and orients with the body mixed with weight, whether lighter or heavier.  I’ve shot several and each felt different for more reason than weight.  

By by the way....mine is perfect!  For me.  Like an extension, when shooting, I really do not feel the gun, it’s just there, doing what I tell it.  Now if I could get better at telling it what to do, cause faster, faster, faster, has not always worked.  Lol.

I had this discussion with my gun builder last weekend. We both would like to see a plastic grip in the shape and texture of a PT or E2. I'd buy a couple. Better yet, absolutely smooth so I could put a wrap around grip tape on it.

My E2 grip came yesterday. Will see this weekend how I like the extra weight vs the plastic grip.

I am mainly changing due to the flex in the plastic grip. During a mag change I could grip it firm enough to stop the magazine from dropping. I had stippled the grip but really did not remove any plastic. The front strap area on my plastic grip seems thin.

I had this discussion with my gun builder last weekend. We both would like to see a plastic grip in the shape and texture of a PT or E2. I'd buy a couple. Better yet, absolutely smooth so I could put a wrap around grip tape on it.
That would be awesome to have one of those grips in plastic! I'd buy a couple as well. I wonder if one could b 3d printed in that shape as a prototype?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I asked my gunsmith his opinion on printing them too, and he thought the material used in 3D printing wouldn't be correct for a grip. I have no idea if it would be feasible. Custom grip stipplers and grinders get up to $225 or more. I think the market would be there for a more ergonomic grip in that price range.

I have been playing the uspsa game for 26 years.  I have seen the pendulum swing from heavy to light guns several times.  I have played the game myself.  My light open gun set up was about 39 oz and the very heavy was about 52.  Years ago I settled on a 4.5 inch cone barrel with a steel comp, tungsten guide rod, and stainless cape mag well=about 46 oz.  I have found it to be easy to handle and the dot returns to the same place making follow up shots accurate and fast.  This is the set up I used to make GM.  

I did like heavy guns when arrays are made up of targets that are close together with small transitions.  But in our section there are a lot big or wide transitions so I found a heavy gun (50+) to be a bit much to run aggressively.  

I am a big believer in shooting every set you can get your hands on before investing in the gear.  

1 hour ago, moparnut88 said:

That would be awesome to have one of those grips in plastic! I'd buy a couple as well. I wonder if one could b 3d printed in that shape as a prototype?

Interesting idea using 3D printer.  I think the answer is yes it could be printed.  There are a huge array of printing technologies with different materials.  One can even print with carbon fiber infused into plastic.

Interesting idea using 3D printer.  I think the answer is yes it could be printed.  There are a huge array of printing technologies with different materials.  One can even print with carbon fiber infused into plastic.
Now there's an idea! Does anybody on here have access to such a printer to make us a few of these?

55 minutes ago, moparnut88 said:

Now there's an idea! Does anybody on here have access to such a printer to make us a few of these?

The printer access is probably the easier part, where you going to get your model?

The printer access is probably the easier part, where you going to get your model?
If somebody has a laser 3d scanner you could get pretty close or if we could find a cad drawing perhaps? Then itll be easy.

28 minutes ago, SilverBolt said:

Borrow or buy a SS grip in the shape/pattern you like.  Not too difficult to 3D CAD/Model off of an actual part.

Actually, the complex profiles and such associated with nailing a good grip is not a trivial matter.  I'm sure all models of current grips are closely guarded for good reason.  Companies won't even let models of magwells leave the building.  I'm not saying you can't find a skilled modeler willing to do it out of passion for free, but you've got to find the right person with the right tools and the right knowledge.

54 minutes ago, moparnut88 said:

If somebody has a laser 3d scanner you could get pretty close or if we could find a cad drawing perhaps? Then itll be easy.

Same deal.  Scanners are expensive and the models they generate require a good amount of clean-up.  Not to mention you're probably infringing on someone else's work.

All 1911 drawings are available now, and maybe a traditional grip is too, but I haven't seen it yet. 

Edited by theWacoKid