Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blew up a primer tube on my new 1050.....still having primer issues

I’ve been loading on a 550b for the past 7 years and decided to upgrade to a 1050 since I recently started shooting USPSA.  The 550 has been great, and I experienced zero problems after >25k rounds of .45 and 9mm.  I recently bought a 1050, RF100, and mr bullet feeder to load up .40 for limited.  The press and rf100 have been great, but I’m definitely not over the initial growing pains of getting them set up.  Main problem seems to be primers.....both the primer filler (running about 2/100 upside down), and multiple problems with the press(crushed/sideways primers) .....including one that lit the tube off!  Dillon sent replacement parts free of charge btw....great company!

The problems seem to be inconsistent, but repeatable, and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.  Mainly the primers are getting jammed in the primer slide sideways.  I’ve been using Win sport and Win once fired brass.  Any advice here?

Thanks

(I have some pics but it says file size is too big to post them)

The upside down primers are coming from the RF100. Make sure the stabilizer plate is properly adjusted. It is located at the very front of the bowl (clear plastic cover off) and it's job is to allow the primers to come to the drop, one-by-one. Also, if you are using Winchester primers you may be moving them around at too high of a speed. Slow things down with the rheostat and see what happens. Winchester primers tend to bounce a little if they come into the drop-off area too fast.

I had the same problems with my 1050 regarding primers, although I never set off a tube. I had it apart so many times I felt like a tire changer at the Daytona 500.

Small pistol primers are... well small, and they are very light weight. It is no doubt difficult to design a system to successfully accommodate them. Just keep the inner tube clean and change out the little blue nipple on the bottom on a fairly regular basis, and don't over tighten the knurled cap at the top.

I hope this little bit of info helps. ?

3 hours ago, MikieM said:

The upside down primers are coming from the RF100. Make sure the stabilizer plate is properly adjusted. It is located at the very front of the bowl (clear plastic cover off) and it's job is to allow the primers to come to the drop, one-by-one. Also, if you are using Winchester primers you may be moving them around at too high of a speed. Slow things down with the rheostat and see what happens. Winchester primers tend to bounce a little if they come into the drop-off area too fast.

I had the same problems with my 1050 regarding primers, although I never set off a tube. I had it apart so many times I felt like a tire changer at the Daytona 500.

Small pistol primers are... well small, and they are very light weight. It is no doubt difficult to design a system to successfully accommodate them. Just keep the inner tube clean and change out the little blue nipple on the bottom on a fairly regular basis, and don't over tighten the knurled cap at the top.

I hope this little bit of info helps. ?

Thanks Mike.  I know I need to spend some time with the primer filler....I haven’t fiddled with it enough yet, but I am running the rheostat on low.

The 1050 cranks out very consistent ammo and is great to use when it’s running, but I feel the same way as you right now.....fixing a small problem every 50 rounds is taking away from the beauty/efficiency of the machine.

44 minutes ago, RickT said:

Have you added a small amount of additional weight to the primer tube push rod? Most use a 45ACP case which fits nicely over the end of the rod.  \

I actually JUST did this last night.  Only ran through about 25 rounds like that, but hopefully it will help.  Thanks

I have never been able to run more than a few hundred rounds on my 1050 without taking the priming system apart, clean it and put it back together again. One of the reasons I upgraded to a Mark 7 Revolution and got rid of the 1050. Eventually it would just jam up. 

Edited by tanks

That's why I manuelly load primers into my primer tubes, I was never sold on the idea of the RF-100. I've loaded thousands of rounds on my 1050, yes its not the perfect system, but I never had the issues you are describing.. For the little extra time loading primers manuelly it's worth the long term headache.. 

I will accept 1/100 flipped primers with the rd-100.....I’ll just pull those rounds.  I do NOT like the press crushing primers or putting them on sideways.  Not sure if the rf100 is related to that, but I don’t think so.

Make sure that the primer magazine tube is the correct wall thickness for small diameter primers. Check the blue plastic tip for damage.  Make sure that the half-moon shaped stop behind the primer slide has the flat oriented up or to the right.  How old is the machine? On the right rear of the primer slide, is there a brass roller on a bolt, or a rubber sleeve on a roll pin? If the latter, be sure the rubber sleeve is both present, and not torn. If torn, visit the local automotive parts store for some 1/8" vacuum hose.  Check the white plastic wedge at the priming station. It should almost touch the case, a .002-.004" gap is fine.  Push down on the edge of the shellplate at the bullet seating station. If it feels springy, then the shellplate lock ring needs to be a bit tighter.

11 hours ago, dillon said:

Make sure that the primer magazine tube is the correct wall thickness for small diameter primers. Check the blue plastic tip for damage.  Make sure that the half-moon shaped stop behind the primer slide has the flat oriented up or to the right.  How old is the machine? On the right rear of the primer slide, is there a brass roller on a bolt, or a rubber sleeve on a roll pin? If the latter, be sure the rubber sleeve is both present, and not torn. If torn, visit the local automotive parts store for some 1/8" vacuum hose.  Check the white plastic wedge at the priming station. It should almost touch the case, a .002-.004" gap is fine.  Push down on the edge of the shellplate at the bullet seating station. If it feels springy, then the shellplate lock ring needs to be a bit tighter.

Thanks!

I will check all these things, but the machine is basically brand new.  Bought a couple months ago and I’ve only loaded 500 rounds total so far.  The mag tube and blue tip are brand new (you guys sent a new one this week since the old one welded itself in the blast shield) but I will check them.

I probably do need to adjust the white wedge a little closer to the case, but the shell plate is rock solid when I push on it.

I'm having a lot of issues that your having. Multiple flipped primers. I havent had one blow up yet.
I"m also using an RF-100, but I watch all the primers go in and they go in right side up. I've cleaned and made sure my primer slide is smooth and not bound. Its actually impressively smooth. Checked the white strap thingy... moved it even closer just to give it a go... I'm starting to run out of ideas.

Ahhh, the 1050 primer system...my experience with a new 1050 was, at first, a hateful time.

But now, after 100s of thousands of rounds later, I seem to nearly never have problems with the primer system. Maybe it needed to be broken in???

I used to replace the primer mag tube tip a lot...can't remember when i last replaced either the blue or red tip.

Removing the rubber tubing from the primer slide was a big help, but had to adjust the arm. After that it seemed to work better.

Adjust the slide so that on the backstroke it is straight under the tube but just a tiny bit past is necessary, and can't be stressed enough.

Clean the tube amd slide area often, primer dust is very nasty, having it in the slide area or in the tube can mean the difference between a single primer igniting and the entire tube igniting.

RF100:

Again, a wonder machine, but frustrating at first. 

Level the RF so it's plumb, but leaning forward just a smidge.

Keep it turned down so that it takes the entire 2 minutes to load the whole tray, so you can eliminate flipped primers. Watch a few hundred drop into the tube. If they don't flip at the top as they drop, they can't flip at all until they are in the slide and being pushed into the case.

Keep the metal top of the RF and the tube clean of primer dust, and keep the clear plastic top guard installed.

There is probably other stuff I have missed, but those are the main points I can remember ...

jj

Yes, 2 minutes to load a tray of 100. Ater you set up the RF, you dump a tray and go back to loading, so those 2 minutes are not taken away from loading time. You do not need to load 10 tubes at a time, one at a time is actually faster.

2 hours ago, RiggerJJ said:

Ahhh, the 1050 primer system...my experience with a new 1050 was, at first, a hateful time.

But now, after 100s of thousands of rounds later, I seem to nearly never have problems with the primer system. Maybe it needed to be broken in???

....snip....

Adjust the slide so that on the backstroke it is straight under the tube but just a tiny bit past is necessary, and can't be stressed enough.

Clean the tube amd slide area often, primer dust is very nasty, having it in the slide area or in the tube can mean the difference between a single primer igniting and the entire tube igniting.

RF100:

Again, a wonder machine, but frustrating at first. 

Level the RF so it's plumb, but leaning forward just a smidge.

Keep it turned down so that it takes the entire 2 minutes to load the whole tray, so you can eliminate flipped primers. Watch a few hundred drop into the tube. If they don't flip at the top as they drop, they can't flip at all until they are in the slide and being pushed into the case.

Keep the metal top of the RF and the tube clean of primer dust, and keep the clear plastic top guard installed.

There is probably other stuff I have missed, but those are the main points I can remember ...

jj

Thanks Rigger!  That’s helpful info for a 1050 newbie.  Can you clarify the bolded part.....did you mean to say the primer slide should NOT be straight under the tube, but slightly past it?  This is the one thing I haven’t checked yet.

Edited by wrx04

23 hours ago, RiggerJJ said:

Yes, 2 minutes to load a tray of 100. Ater you set up the RF, you dump a tray and go back to loading, so those 2 minutes are not taken away from loading time. You do not need to load 10 tubes at a time, one at a time is actually faster.

Cool. So it flips them also? 

As already said the flipped primers is the RF100 and I can help with the adjustments if needed. The sideways problems is the press. I dont have a 1050 but on my 650 it usually means making sure the shell plate is tightened properly as well as indexing so that primer pin is coming up center and not hitting off the shell plate as it indexes. 

For the RF100 you there is an adapter screw underneath the top platform that holds that hollow plastic cup in place where the primers drop through to the tube. Start by adjusting that so that you can put a dime between the screw head and the platform. If the problem persists after that, you want to continue losening it 1/4 turn at a time. 

RF100.jpg

If I have a primer problem either the blue tip has worn or else a spent primer; pulled back into the case at position 1, got mashed tightly up in the case at position 2, and then made a mess of things at the primer feed position. 

After a while I could feel any issue at position 2 & remove the case before a problem can begin so now I'm down to changing the blue tip once every so many thousand rounds & cleaning the primer feed slide & etc while I'm at it. 

On 9/7/2018 at 1:48 PM, shakin_bakin said:

I'm having a lot of issues that your having. Multiple flipped primers. I havent had one blow up yet.
I"m also using an RF-100, but I watch all the primers go in and they go in right side up. I've cleaned and made sure my primer slide is smooth and not bound. Its actually impressively smooth. Checked the white strap thingy... moved it even closer just to give it a go... I'm starting to run out of ideas.

If you gotta watch it load all 100, you might as well just use pick up tubes.  Mine loves CCI small pistol primers and hasn't loaded one upside down since I started running it on the lowest setting.

I'm using CCI Smalls as well. I have only seen one go in upside down in 2000 primers... which I'll happily take. If I could figure out why I had so many upside down, I wouldnt watch it. 

I dont think mine are flipping in the RF-100. I'm going to measure my tubes tonight to ensure I'm using the right tubes. (I have no idea why or how I possibly got the wrong tubes since I only have pistol tubes, but whatever, I'll check to make sure)

Next I'll look to the press... I've replaced the little blue tip on the rods, I think I'm going to try and clean it with carb cleaner and a pipe cleaner to ensure its perfectly clean.