Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Pouches

Snowb1rd

Currently have some older Ghost 360s that were given to me when I purchased my Shadow. They work ok, but the attachment to the belt is bulky and takes up a lot of space. With production, my mags end up wrapping around farther than I'd like towards my back.

Considering some DAA Racer vs Race Master pouches. Is the cost of the race master worth it over the plastic racers? Is there another mag pouch I should consider? or should I just suck it up with my Ghost 360s lol

I run some of the "old" ghost pouches with the large attachments and have a few of the "new" attachments, which are just a hair wider than the pouch.

The old style work better for me since they allow for some room between the magazines, so I don't knock out the next-in-line mag... yeah it's happened before.

The new style mounts are nice but allow the mags to close together and the 2 or 3 inches saved towards my back for production is not worth the trade off. Not to mention its very uncommon I windup at the 4th or 5th pouch.

Overall I'm a fan of the Ghost pouches. Good versatility, ability to go bullets forward or out, have been durable, and best of all... cheap!

Go with DAA, you'll never regret it.  They make the most quality equipment in the game in my opinion.  It really depends on what division you're shooting.

If you're shooting production go Racer.  They're more than enough for what your positioning will be on the belt and there is no reason why you should spend more when you're buying 5 pouches. 

If it's for limited or open, I'd go with the new Alpha X Mag pouches.  They have limitless posibilities on how you can configure them on your belt if you want to place them up front and other places.  Lots of guys use the Racers in limited too I'm just giving you what I think is the best set ups for each division

Had Ghost 360's. Liked them and had no problems. I can see why they have a reputation for fragility. The plastic springs and the mounts are fairly weak. OTOH they are cheap.

About a year ago I got Racers. Love them. I'd never go back. I got Racers because I thought Race Masters were too expensive. Lucky me in this case because it turned out that the aluminum on steel interface of the RM's was not ideal due to friction. The plastic Racers were great.

I just bought Alpha X Race Masters. They combine the strength of the aluminum shell with a plastic/steel magazine interface and the flexibility of the ball mount that has been exclusive to the Alpha X holster. To me they seem perfect and the cost isn't that bad unless you are one who changes this equipment all the time. Some of the advantages of placement/orientation are not usable for Production but not disadvantageous either. If you expect you might someday shoot Limited get them. If you are sure Production is your only game then the cheaper Racers are good. I have found DAA products live up to my expectations. At first I wasn't sold on that but I was wrong.

I am running the DAA Racer mag pouches and like them. I had the opportunity to compare both and could not justify the cost of the metal ones compared to the plastic. Had mine for about 6 months and still holding strong.

For Production the DAA racers are great. Very slim mount to the belt compared to the Ghost 360. I also have Racemasters, the adjustment is good for limited/open but you won’t need all of the adjustment options for production. I found getting them setup vertical and level was just a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both the race master and the racers. IMO I think the only benefit of the race masters would be the possibility to angle the mags out to make rom for a bigger shooter. I don't need that, so my go-to mag pouches are the racers. 

I have used many variants for SS.  I am running DAA single stacks now,  but still, and they were tedious, prefer the CR speed with the RHT insert for single stacks.

I have Black scorpions not and they work just ok. I don't care for how you occasionally can lose a mag if running to hard so i have been looking at the race masters myself. It seems everyone i shoot with who has them love them and have nothing but good things to say about them. Personally i will go with the race masters over the racers because material. I just haven't had great lock with plastic. 

Black Scorpions are a good entry level pouch in my opinion.  They are competitively priced and they release well.  Sometimes too well...   I had the same issue with mags coming out during aggressive movement so that’s why I switched to the race master.