Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Defensive ammo?

Most of us on this forum own several different guns .If you live in a neighborhood with people close by it might be better to go with a caliber with less penetration like a 45 acp or 12 gauge shotgun assuming the appropriate load. YMMV 

Agree with @Startingover. Do some googling online, HST in 124 non +p is my preference.

Lots of ammo tests out there to do some research on. This stuff has been at or near the top in all types of expansion / penetration performance for many years now. 

It’s fairly cheap if you buy 50 round boxes off a site like  ammoseek.com as well. I run at least a full box through any gun before I carry it.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Just a friendly reminder from the forum guidelines:

Intent
This Forum is for firearm, technique, and conceptual discussions pertaining to training and competition. (And various unrelated topics.) While the occasional defensive shooting post is not prohibited, in general, defensive shooting discussions or debates are discouraged. And please, no hunting or "killing animals" (of any kind) threads.

I wanted to use a sub gun as my home defense weapon. Wasn't sure if it would be a 9mm SBR or .223 SBR. I ended up with two MPX's, one with an 8" barrel I use for competition. The other is nearly the same configuration I use in USPSA except with a 4.5" barrel, suppressor. and heavier trigger. Running P9HST2 147gr JHP's (subsonic). I feel immensely more confident handling the platform after shooting PCC in USPSA. 

I've made some modifications to my competition rig I probably wouldn't make on my defense gun. I.e. I feel better with a slightly heavier trigger for a defense rig, 2-3lb triggers might be to light when the adrenaline is flowing!

1 hour ago, yosturm said:

HST 147gr.  All reviews everywhere put it as top of the line.  And as bonus it can be had for about .40 a round.

This.  I load a 147 HST with 5.1gr of N350, a CCI SPM, and get 1050fps from a CZ P10C and 1000fps from a 16" PCC.  Both of those are right in the optimal velocity window.  

4 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

I shot some 9 major ammo thru my PCC. It does 1500fps out of a pistol. I can only imagine how fast it's going thru the rifle

I usually get 125-150 fps more when I shoot my pistol ammo out of 16” barrel through pcc. Dep musing on what powder you use for 9majoenit May go up more since it has more time to burn. 

Most defensive ammo would be loaded hotter than the loads you'd want to run for competition, and bullet profiles may be different.  You'd have to thoroughly test out any load you wanted to use.  But honestly, with the seemingly random yet widespread breakage of firing pins, I'm not sure I'd want my PCC to serve in both roles.  It would have to be cleaned and inspected promptly after every match before loading it for HD.  And if you wanted a light on it, you'd have to be constantly removing/installing it, unless I just ran the gun with the extra weight in matches.

4 hours ago, HoMiE said:

I usually get 125-150 fps more when I shoot my pistol ammo out of 16” barrel through pcc. Dep musing on what powder you use for 9majoenit May go up more since it has more time to burn. 

My open load is a 115 over 9.0 of 3N38 and it did 1700 out of a 16" PCC. 

Edited by chevrofreak