Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

scopes for AR.. 1-6, 1-8?

hi i'm trying to get my AR ready for future introduction to 3 gun. there are so many choices with scopes! need advice.

just trying to get my feet wet so i'm not looking to spend thousands on glass. just something entry level. my rifle is built but needs optic.

1-6 or 1-8? i thought that 1-8 would be the way to go but so many seem to use 1-6.

First focal or second focal plane? i imagined first would be great but most seem to be second. why do you prefer second FP? pro's and con's. i know what they both mean, but how does it effect you in a match setting between the two performance wise?

i dont think i'm going to be hitting 400+yard shots anytime soon but i want something capable. i narrowed my choices down to the Burris RT6, Strike eagle 1x8, Atibal xp8. i might hit up the classifieds here to see if anyone has one. those scopes are in the price range i seek. sure i can go more expensive . "buy once cry once" am-i-right? but like i said entry level.

thanks for your advice!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I've got an Atibal XP8 and it is a good scope.  Only thing you have to get used to is the eye relief tightens up (becomes shorter) after you go past 6X.  It's a good starter scope and might be all you would ever want.  If you aren't going past 400 yds - at least, early on - you could probably do well with a 6X Strike Eagle.  I haven't used the Burris so can't comment on it.

I've got an Atibal XP8 and it is a good scope.  Only thing you have to get used to is the eye relief tightens up (becomes shorter) after you go past 6X.  It's a good starter scope and might be all you would ever want.  If you aren't going past 400 yds - at least, early on - you could probably do well with a 6X Strike Eagle.  I haven't used the Burris so can't comment on it.
are you satisfied with the scope? i cannot find much about it. looking through forums, some people like it over the strike eagle 1-8. what made you choose 8x vs 6x?

I had sold a 1X6 Strike Eagle and someone had the Atibal for sale so I bought it out of curiosity.  I'm happy with it but I'm not shooting 3 gun matches with it.  Mostly just target shooting and varmints.

I'll take a quality 1-4x over a entry level 1-8x any day. Around the SE 1-8x price I would be looking at the Steiner P4XI, Athlon Midas, Burris RT6 on the lower end or save up for the Gen 2 Viper 1-6x. 

SFP is most common because with few exceptions, reticles get too small to be usable in low powered variables in FFP on 1x, which is where a 3 gun scope lives over 90% of the time.

Edited by TonytheTiger

So, you have to choose between higher magnification and a less distorted dot on 1 power.  If I had unlimited funds, I'd be trying a SB of some kind.  With that said, my Vortex Razor 1-6 had really impressed me.  Bay stages are nearly as good as an Aimpoint and I've hit steel out to 550 in a match.  

If you have the funds, the Swaro 1-8 would probably be badass......

The Vortex Viper PST2 1-6 is a great middle ground for price and quality if you're a little gun shy about going for something more expensive like the Razor.  
cool i'll check it out too. thanks!

I've had both and a lot depends on what you want to do with it.  If shooting small targets is what you do a lot of,  I'd suggest the 8X but a 6X will also work.  The reticle will have a lot to do with how you like the scope.

Another thing to consider is weight. Usually within a product/manufacturer line, a 1-8 will weigh more than a 1-6. The scopes you mentioned are in the $300-400 hundred range, and a good quality 1-8 will set you back more than that.

Mark

1 hour ago, darthdively said:

okay cool. well what i guess i really want to get a consensus on is 1-6 or 1-8? is 1-6 plenty or get a 1-8?

For every 3gun match I have shot, including Superstition Mountain Mystery 3gun this year, 6x was plenty. 8x advantage would have been negligible. 

1 hour ago, darthdively said:

okay cool. well what i guess i really want to get a consensus on is 1-6 or 1-8? is 1-6 plenty or get a 1-8?

I've never felt at a disadvantage with 6x.  From local matches only out to 200, to majors out past 500.

I've never felt at a disadvantage with 6x.  From local matches only out to 200, to majors out past 500.
cool. i'm starting to lean towards burris RT-6 a lot of positive feedback based on looking though forums.

1 hour ago, dthomas1003 said:

For every 3gun match I have shot, including Superstition Mountain Mystery 3gun this year, 6x was plenty. 8x advantage would have been negligible. 

I would even argue that 8X often is a disadvantage in 3-gun. Its often heavier and gives up a lot of field of view. If you are disciplined enough o not be tempted to crank up the power it can be ok, if you don't mind the weight.

I personally much prefer a 1-6 of better quality and lighter weight, Illuminated and with a very simple reticle.

Edited by mpeltier

I would even argue that 8X often is a disadvantage in 3-gun. Its often heavier and gives up a lot of field of view. If you are disciplined enough o not be tempted to crank up the power it can be ok, if you don't mind the weight.

I personally much prefer a 1-6 of better quality and lighter weight, Illuminated and with a very simple reticle.

okay. awesome. makes me feel confident in looking at 1-6.

thanks!

thank you all for your feedback! i got an atibal 1-6. and also going to consider getting a burris RT6 also for my other AR and swap back and forth to see what i like for my different purpose rifles :)

thanks everyone!

• 5 months later...

I'll put my vote in for a 1-6. I haven't seen anything in my local matches that a 6x couldn't do out to 400 yards. I think there is such a thing as too much power and there seems to be a diminishing return from 6 to 8.