Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 A's At 25.

dirtypool40

This closely resembled a stage at a local match yesterday, with the added fun of one of the three targets at 30 yds had half of the lower A zone covered. 2 shots on each target, mandatory reload, then repeat. I absolutely pulverized the simulated cover on the middle target and got a zero on the stage due to penalties. It is definitely a drill that I will be running every day this week, as a lot of other shooters struggled mightily with this, and it would be beneficial to make this a strength.

For the sake of historical accuracy, there were 4 targets at about 30 yards, 2 of which had the bottom half covered with hardcover and the other 2 were full targets.

Draw and shoot 2 on each, mandatory reload and 2 more on each, VIRGINIA count. Eleven out of 24 shooters zeroed the stage, so Chris was NOT alone on that one. There were several folks that had 10+ misses out of 16 shots. That stage was an "eye opener" for lots of folks. :surprise:

Edited by L9X25

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand humbly corrected...eye opener wasn't the word. :P I'll add another target to the array, and try that. Timewise, I am nowhere near the other posters in this thread. . Maybe I'll run both drills back to back until I can't stand it anymore, or I get it down. Either way, this drill is a definite reinforcement for practical match skills.

Chris,

Many of the folks on this site have been shooting competitively for many years. Some of them go to the range in the morning and leave when the brass is knee deep. Do not expect to get where they are in a short time, it will take patience and lots of practice to get there. You are doing fine and you will see your progress on the sheets as you shoot a few more matches.

Are these "on demand", 100% can do the drill with 2 A's times we are seeing here, or "best times" from the range, in practice, after about 10 tries? Just saying. :ph34r:

Definetly NOT on demand times for this drill.

I went out yesterday with 2 things to do.

A sub 4 El Prez with all the shots on brown, and beat that butthead Matt Cheely's time on this drill. It took me 5 or 6 runs to do the first one.. but the second goal took me well over 15 tries! It is flippin harder to shoot 2 A's at 25 yards in some stupid fast time than to shoot a sub 4 el prez. I really thought it would be the other way around....

Ok, I feel better. :blush:

My on demand time for this drill is running 1.6 -1.7 or so. 1.5 warmed up. Sure, could nail one and get lucky at about 1.2 or so...... but I'm just as likely (maybe more likely) to have C/D instead of 2 A. <_<

Are these "on demand", 100% can do the drill with 2 A's times we are seeing here, or "best times" from the range, in practice, after about 10 tries?

I guess I have too much time to spare. I made a special trip to the range just to try this drill. Shooting open gear, with no warm up, not even a practice draw, my on demand cold times for all A's were 1.67, 1.62, and 1.64. I worked that down to a warmed up par time of 1.45. After about 20 repitions I decided to bag it (hot and tired), but I did do one Bill Drill before heading for the air conditioner. The Bill Drill was a 1.55 with a group about 2 inches wide and 3 inches high in the middle of the A zone. A good time to quit.

My wife and I shoot stage in practice and I almost always start us off with 2 - 4 targets at 25 yards.

I feel slow compared to many here, but my "average" time for a pair of "A hits is 1.95 - 2.00. Limited shooting firmly entrenched "B" class shooter.

I was thinking I've been ignoring my draw practice for too long now....

I loved this drill, thanks for pointing it out!

It was hot and the shade was 40yds away so that's where I shot from. I still think it was good practice and I was right around 2.2 secs with limited gear. Really had to focus on that front sight. Once I was warmed up I closed in to 25 yards and was in the 1.65s pretty consistently.

I started this off being lazy and shooting a small steel popper so I didn't have to tape. But that ended up having much faster times which was an interesting discovery for me. To hit a target is one thing, to focus in on an area of that target seemed to take longer.

• 3 months later...

Been doing this very drill with 3 targets set 3ft apart the last couple of times I've practiced, since my accuracy has left town for the last few months. Haven't worried as much about speed as watching the front sight lift, maybe we'll see if it helps at this weekends match?? Seems to be a great drill!

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...