Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 A's At 25.

dirtypool40

Another drill I play with to mix speed with seeing what you need to for a precise shot.

25y.

Hands relaxed or surrender, whichever you prefer.

Draw and fire two A's. We're looking for something doable, not a once in a lifetime.

Gear and Class please.

I'll start you off:

Limited / Standard, "M"

Very Doable is a 1.50. 1.15 draw and .35 split.

Doable if I am warm and calm, 1.40. 1.10 draw and .30 split.

First time in a long time I tried this yesterday, I had a few down around 1.30, 1.05 draw and .25 split, but still anything under 1.50 is pretty good for me.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I used to shoot this wayyyyy back when...

Tried it this morning L10 skinny gun, Kydex holster, average for 10 goes is 1.66..

draw was ok at right over a second but the transitions were slow..tried faster but started to shoot A/C and had to slow back down...

Did the same drill with Limited, about the same times...nothing special...

I'm usually getting the split under .30, often .25, but the draw feels slow.

Limited A-class [Glock 35] - doable for me is 1.8 with a clumsy 1.5 or 1.55 draw.

Warmed up a little my best is still only 1.6 with a 1.35 draw.

This is a good reality-check for all those dry-fire draws. I get faster draw times if I remind myself to relax all the way onto the gun & out of the holster, also remind myself to keep my elbows into my sides on the presentation. Each gives about .1 improvement. But maybe it's less consistent at the end because I'm still drilling it into my routine.

25 yards really shows if you're consistent or "cleaning it up" at the end.

• 1 year later...

I found an old journal entry and it reminded me of this.

Aug 2, 2005 I hit this and had the same conclusions; a 1.50 was do-able, a 1.40 was GOOD and my best for the day was a 1.30 (1.03 draw, .27 split)

good to hear you like it, it validates me interest.

It's a quick little drill, but works so many things, really fine tuning and making you focus if you want results. I have also stood there an entire practice session, doing this in three strings, on three targets, then walking up to score and tape, then doing it again.

No movement, or reloads but, a couple of days of that and your "standing still" shooting skills, discipline and shot calling are pretty polished.

......What d'ja see???? :surprise:

That's a great drill. I used to practice that all day long. And I'm talking about all day long.

be

Good to know, but we are interested your times now that you have posted!! :rolleyes:

I figured someone would call me on that. I'm old, I can't remember. I don't know... Stock-type gun, 2 shots into the A box in about 2 seconds in the real old days. Then as the years went by I could do around 1.5 consistently.

be

good to hear you like it, it validates me interest.

It's a quick little drill, but works so many things, really fine tuning and making you focus if you want results. I have also stood there an entire practice session, doing this in three strings, on three targets, then walking up to score and tape, then doing it again.

No movement, or reloads but, a couple of days of that and your "standing still" shooting skills, discipline and shot calling are pretty polished.

......What d'ja see???? :surprise:

I'll run few of these when I go to the range today and edit this thread with the times. I think my comfort times on this were just over 2. That's without pushing and in match type pace. I'll do it cold and shoot for awhile and run it warm then postm for ya.

JT

Open

9mm Major

CR Speed

Cold:1.99

Warm:1.64

I need to work on my mount. All my mount times were around 1.2-1.5. I found myself having to make a .3-.4 correction. That's killing my first shot time. The second shot was from .35 cold to low .2s to teens warm. When I pushed that second one into the teens I was just as apt to throw a C

JT

Edited by JThompson

That's a great drill. I used to practice that all day long. And I'm talking about all day long.

be

Good to know, but we are interested your times now that you have posted!! :rolleyes:

I figured someone would call me on that. I'm old, I can't remember. I don't know... Stock-type gun, 2 shots into the A box in about 2 seconds in the real old days. Then as the years went by I could do around 1.5 consistently.

be

Were not letting you slide... we know you wrote everything you ever did in those books of yours... heretofore "Enos Letters." :P

I tried this out today..

Swinging for the bleachers with my Production Beretta I hit a 1.27

I think a sub 1.20 is in the cards.

That's a damn good time iron sight my friend... hell that's just a damn good time no matter the gear. ;)

I tried this out today..

Swinging for the bleachers with my Production Beretta I hit a 1.27

I think a sub 1.20 is in the cards.

Ben,

Show Off!!! :cheers:

DP,

Ben is a starving college student on summer break! To be 20ish again :rolleyes:

Now if he would just get a real job maybe the Kryptonite would have some effect....

He whooped my kyster once (not like it's that hard!! :lol:) and I'll bet a 1.2 is no joke.

This closely resembled a stage at a local match yesterday, with the added fun of one of the three targets at 30 yds had half of the lower A zone covered. 2 shots on each target, mandatory reload, then repeat. I absolutely pulverized the simulated cover on the middle target and got a zero on the stage due to penalties. It is definitely a drill that I will be running every day this week, as a lot of other shooters struggled mightily with this, and it would be beneficial to make this a strength.