Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is 38SC dead ?

zipollini

SVI told me the same thing about the 9mm major. I asked why and was told that to get the configuration just right its very complicated. There's a very fine line as to everything coming together on a 9mm major round.

26 minutes ago, Nalle2491 said:

SVI told me the same thing about the 9mm major. I asked why and was told that to get the configuration just right its very complicated. There's a very fine line as to everything coming together on a 9mm major round.

Yet, many gun builders produce 9’s that run great. So, for a good gun builder it isn’t that “complicated”!

22 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Yet, many gun builders produce 9’s that run great. So, for a good gun builder it isn’t that “complicated”!

Even more interesting is the fact that many 38Super guns work just fine, shooting 9Major with no change whatsoever.

Regarding SVI - they are very good people, but I am wondering what would happen if either one of my two 9mm guns needed service?  Say - a crack in the slide. 

Edited by Foxbat

38 Super may be dead, but not SC. As far as the choice between the 9mm and SC it really depends on what you want out of your gun. I think SC is the flatter shooting of the two, but it costs more unless you can recover your brass multiple times. I have had 3 9 major guns, they have all run extremely well. I have had 1 Atlas and 2 Limcats, all 3 were accurate and functioned properly. I have had maybe half dozen fail to feed issues in 2 years of shooting open, and it was magazine related. I realized that with 170s a strong spring is a must.

On the topic of how flat each one shoots I will say my 9mm dot moves but it is not hard to track and is back to center before I can pull the trigger.

On 7/19/2018 at 12:26 PM, Sarge said:

I’m not talking about the gun I’m talking about the round. The guns are not complicated but the round is easily miss loaded.

1 hour ago, Nalle2491 said:

I’m not talking about the gun I’m talking about the round. The guns are not complicated but the round is easily miss loaded.

How so? 9MAJOR X amount of powder, X weight bullet, X primer, X oal.

38 Super X Amount of powder, X weight bullet, X primer, X oal.

A recipe is a recipe.

1 hour ago, Nalle2491 said:

I am also confused by this statement. No more easily mis-loaded than any other round. Maybe fewer options that will work effectively, but still plenty of options that will work...

48 minutes ago, Sarge said:

How so? 9MAJOR X amount of powder, X weight bullet, X primer, X oal.

38 Super X Amount of powder, X weight bullet, X primer, X oal.

A recipe is a recipe.

Do you think maybe there are less tolerances in the 9mm Major vs. the 38 Super Comp? When I see a 9mm Major cartridge I can almost hear the case stretching and grunting, panting a little bit, maybe a whimper. But the 38 Super Comp Round looks just right. Not too hot, not too cold. The goldilocks round, right?

3 minutes ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

Do you think maybe there are less tolerances in the 9mm Major vs. the 38 Super Comp? When I see a 9mm Major cartridge I can almost hear the case stretching and grunting, panting a little bit, maybe a whimper. But the 38 Super Comp Round looks just right. Not too hot, not too cold. The goldilocks round, right?

a 9mm case is a very tough little case.  Even 38 is hand loaded above saami spec to make Major PF.

To make a 9mm bullet travel fast enough to make power factor is the same, whether 9mm or 38 super. 125 gr bullet has to go 1320+ fps, 9mm or 38 S/SC. The case volume is the difference, there is less volume in the 9mm than a 38 S/SC. I would venture to say compressed for the 9mm, think this maybe the reason there are stories of bullets growing in length, crimp or not. In my short life(61), and reloading experience,  compressed loads are used cautiously with the fear of over pressurizing the chamber. I'm not an expert on this subject, no chemical or mechanical degrees, but experience in the occasional HOT loads, there are reasons for SAMMI specifications. I know there are a lot of 9mm major shooters out there, and have no problems, but I also go to shoots, and read forums, like this one, and see the majority of gun failures are 9mm major, not to say 38 S/SCs don't fail. It's a personal preference, and everyone is different and excepts what comes with it. The price of 9mm brass is not an argument when you are talking about 4 to 7 thousand dollar guns.    

4 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

To make a 9mm bullet travel fast enough to make power factor is the same, whether 9mm or 38 super. 125 gr bullet has to go 1320+ fps, 9mm or 38 S/SC. The case volume is the difference, there is less volume in the 9mm than a 38 S/SC.....    

One issue that pops up here pretty frequently is that people spill powder when loading 9mm with enough slow powder for Major. You need the machine working really smoothly.

1 hour ago, Foxbat said:

All those horror stories about 9Major make me smile.  There really is no difference in loading that round versus any other. 

Agreed. It’s not voodoo.

19 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

The price of 9mm brass is not an argument when you are talking about 4 to 7 thousand dollar guns.    

For some, yes. But it may matter when your 4 to 7 thousand dollar gun pales in comparison to your ammo costs. The gun is a consumable tool, just like the ammo.  So do whatever gets you to where you need to be because over the life of the gun the ammo will be the greater expense.  In other words, the $5k gun is the cheap part. 

It's been said many times before - while the cost of brass IS noticeable, to me a far more important aspect is freedom from constantly looking at the ground for my expensive brass. 

That freedom simply makes the match so much more enjoyable.