Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO Double Alpha X Holster Reviews VS Other

NCShadow2

Have a TSO coming, and like all my Double Alpha stuff. Any cons to the TSO Double Alpha X Holster?  Reviews VS Other?  Also which baseplates?  Where did you order magazines?  Just want 5 total.  I have 27 CZ 75 mags from MecGar.  
Modify message

TSO frames are all hand cut so a precise fit might not be possible, it depends on the gun though. If you have a loose fit you can resolve it with a screw in Race Master muzzle support. I run the muzzle support and the holster works very well, the support adds additional security from knocking the gun out. I run Springer extensions. 

I have a Guga Ribas holster which I use for the TSO and like it very much. Super smooth release, never gets hung up at all. I have never used the Alpha X though so I can't compare.

Mags are basic OEM CZ tubes (available from CZ, Greg Cote, gunmagwarehouse, etc) with CZC basepads and Grams springs/follower from ShootersConnection. I get 21+1 of factory .40 rounds.

I have owned the Guga Ribas and the Alpha X for my TSO. You can def make the Guga fit better that the AX as the Guga can adjust in every way possible. Like already mentioned, the TSO will vary a little because of the hand fitment, so the gun may move a little with the AX. It is a little unsettling to feel the gun move a little while running with it in the holster, but I was assured by DAA that as long as the holster safety is locking the gun in, you have nothing to worry about. (By the way, congrats on the TSO. Did you get to handle/shoot one ahead of time?)

Edited by BLUEPSTU

7 minutes ago, BLUEPSTU said:

I have owned the Guga Ribas and the Alpha X for my TSO. You can def make the Guga fit better that the AX as the Guga can adjust in every way possible. Like already mentioned, the TSO will vary a little because of the hand fitment, so the gun may move a little with the AX. It is a little unsettling to feel the gun move a little while running with it in the holster, but I was assured by DAA that as long as the holster safety is locking the gun in, you have nothing to worry about. (By the way, congrats on the TSO. Did you get to handle/shoot one ahead of time?)

Which one are you currently using? Leaning towards Alpha X.

19 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Which one are you currently using? Leaning towards Alpha X.

My friend wanted the Guga so I let him buy it. The thing I liked about the Alpha better was that the holster itself seem to lock tighter in place. On the Guga the whole cant/angle of the holster would shift if I did not grab the bun cleanly. Because it is plastic, I didn't feel like I could tighten it any tighter without cracking something. The Alpha seems to be more solid in that aspect. It has not shifted on me at all.

i use  the race master  magnetic  ,which uses  the  same  internals  than the  master-X .

just  be  warned  that  ts's  or for  that matter  tso's  are  not  all  equal lol.  the trigger  guard  can be  slightly  different in thickness    from one  unit  to  another...which  means,yeah  it  might  rattle  a  little. for  my TS,i  ordered  the CM  insert at  first, but  the  gun was  sooo loose  in the  holster  that  i've  returned  it    in favor  of  the sp01  insert.  this  one,you  have  a  very  light  sanding  to  perform to  make  it  fit  snuggly  . which i  did  and  couldn't  now  be  happier  with it.

point  being,  be  aware  that  unless  you  choose  to  get  the  sp01  insert,then work it  yourself  for  a  perfect  fit, it's  likely  you may  (or  not )   have  to  live  with  a  gun moving  around  a little  once  locked.

as  for  the  baseplates,i  simply  made  my  own custom  aluminum  baseplates  with a  set  screw  so  they  won't  pop out the mags   on  landing.

4 hours ago, BLUEPSTU said:

My friend wanted the Guga so I let him buy it. The thing I liked about the Alpha better was that the holster itself seem to lock tighter in place. On the Guga the whole cant/angle of the holster would shift if I did not grab the bun cleanly. Because it is plastic, I didn't feel like I could tighten it any tighter without cracking something. The Alpha seems to be more solid in that aspect. It has not shifted on me at all.

Ah cool, thanks. Planning on uisng S2 which won't have the same problems the TSO has (though I do want to buy a TSO in the future...).

• 9 months later...
On 5/15/2018 at 10:34 AM, sigsauerfan said:

i use  the race master  magnetic  ,which uses  the  same  internals  than the  master-X .

just  be  warned  that  ts's  or for  that matter  tso's  are  not  all  equal lol.  the trigger  guard  can be  slightly  different in thickness    from one  unit  to  another...which  means,yeah  it  might  rattle  a  little. for  my TS,i  ordered  the CM  insert at  first, but  the  gun was  sooo loose  in the  holster  that  i've  returned  it    in favor  of  the sp01  insert.  this  one,you  have  a  very  light  sanding  to  perform to  make  it  fit  snuggly  . which i  did  and  couldn't  now  be  happier  with it.

point  being,  be  aware  that  unless  you  choose  to  get  the  sp01  insert,then work it  yourself  for  a  perfect  fit, it's  likely  you may  (or  not )   have  to  live  with  a  gun moving  around  a little  once  locked.

as  for  the  baseplates,i  simply  made  my  own custom  aluminum  baseplates  with a  set  screw  so  they  won't  pop out the mags   on  landing.

So would you get the Sp01 insert right out fo the game and work it to fit.  On Double Alphas site I have the TSO with frame #2 (which is the actual TSO block). I am assuming the SP01's block is tighter than that of the TSO or the CM.

6 hours ago, Heatstroke18 said:

So would you get the Sp01 insert right out fo the game and work it to fit.  On Double Alphas site I have the TSO with frame #2 (which is the actual TSO block). I am assuming the SP01's block is tighter than that of the TSO or the CM.

My TSO has the trigger guard shape that goes with the "TSO" insert and it is a great fit. There is no side to side play. The Alpha-X locks very firm so I don't feel the need to get the barrel rest or thigh pad for it. 

9 minutes ago, Stoneface86 said:

DAA shows you a diagram comparing them that way you know which insert to buy with there race master Holster .   It’s the luck of the draw which one you get

^^ Definitely check the picture.  CZ has changed trigger guard design on TSO and CM, so it's a wash which design you'll actually get.  Latest pictures I have seen from TSO is that they went back to the older TS design, which has thicker trigger guard. 

I purposely shopped around when buying my pistols to ensure I could use them all with the same holster.  BTW, I use the older Alpha (not the Alpha X) with magnetic insert and no barrel support.  Works well for me, but I wouldn't be running from A to B with the pistol in the holster.  One thing about this design holster (likely most race holsters that retain the pistol via the trigger guard) if for some reason you holster without the safety on, there's a chance the holster can catch the trigger, resulting in an AD.

I agree with the running. Once the buzzer goes off the pistol is drawn. I feel a lot more comfortable running with a pistol in my hand rather than in my holster. Even the RHT one I’m currently using. 

Aslo i have looked at the pictures and matched it up but i have read on ads on this forum and others that they bought the correct insert for the trigger guard of their pistol but it still didn’t have a good fit and was all loosie goosie

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I ordered one last night for my TSO. By their picture guideline I ordered the Czechmate insert. We'll see.....

Sounds like you have a newer TSO.

Not sure why, but TS, TSO and CM are coming with the thicker trigger guard.  Wonder if it's cost savings or Scoda's are getting scarce :)

Can anybody post some pictures of the Red Hill holster with TSO with the thumb rest?

I am using the DAA right now but thinking of trying the kydex to match my Production rig.

Thanks

Got my Alpha X last week. Matched  it up with the pictures from double alpha's website, my insert needed ( and purchased) matched the TSO photo. 

Fit is good, have only practiced dry fire draws, but I think I am going to like it. Will follow up after I shoot a match with it.

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

I am very happy with my alpha x holster. So much so I will order a Shadow 2 insert to be used for IPSC production the couple times a year I shoot that game.

I like mine so much for my TSO and I ordered an insert for my Atlas Titan. I just got it in and it has a little snag or it is too tight when I try to draw. If I hold the front of the belt with my left hand when I draw with my right hand it eliminates the problem. I def can't draw the Titan in the same manner as I draw the TSO. It seems like there is a little too much movement of the belt when drawing the Titan. (Never had this problem with the TSO) I am wondering if getting a thigh pad for the holster, to use with the Titan, will help.

10 hours ago, cheby said:

Can anybody post some pictures of the Red Hill holster with TSO with the thumb rest?

I am using the DAA right now but thinking of trying the kydex to match my Production rig.

Thanks

Here are some pictures of my TSO with the stock thumbrest using my RHT holster. I also have a DAA racemaster holster when I use my TSO with the larger Advance Ratio thumb rest 

3487768-B-1-CD1-4-EB6-9-F88-574-D282257-

E1971-CA3-F455-48-CC-A6-F3-E08-B095-C478

22036-E4-B-5-CC6-41-B7-9803-07-A37-C6699