Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slower with a “race holster”?

Paulie

Has anyone else experienced a substantial loss of speed with a race style holster?

Was using a blade tech that sat high, which is not ideal... could still hit 10 yard shots under a second live and .8 or so dry. Now my dryfire is glacial 1.2 with new heavier 2011 and alpha x.

I’ve only had it a week or so. Just need to get reps and accustomed to weight? I hope this is normal. 

I noticed that it’s not as smooth out of the locking mechanism as I expected. If my belt wiggles at all, the holster grabs the gun a bit and I have to wrestle it out. 

Looked for retention adjustment but there is none I can find. 

It's most likely the gun weight.  I played with a Glock 34 in lieu of my normal Stock 2 for production, damn near threw the gun to the ceiling!  Give it a little more time to get accustomed to the weight & things will even out.

Can't speak to the race holster, I'm all kydex.

1 hour ago, SCTaylor said:

It's most likely the gun weight.  I played with a Glock 34 in lieu of my normal Stock 2 for production, damn near threw the gun to the ceiling!  Give it a little more time to get accustomed to the weight & things will even out.

Can't speak to the race holster, I'm all kydex.

Hoping that’s the case. Maybe others experienced the temporary set back as well. 

2 hours ago, Paulie said:

it’s not smooth out of the locking mechanism.  If my belt wiggles at all, the holster grabs the gun a bit and I have to wrestle it out. 

Sounds like you need to make an adjustment to your belt and possibly the 

locking mechanism.    

And, as Paulie mentioned, much more practice with a heavier gun    :) 

You'll get used to it, and LOVE it.    :wub:

All new to you pistol with vastly different feel and new holster setup takes time to get used to.  That one has a magnetic insert, right?

One factor can throw you off... you introduced several.  Give it some time & more draw practice.

"Race Holsters" that secure the gun only at the trigger guard are a lot less forgiving when drawing the gun at less than optimal angles. Any amount of twisting of the grip or in/out pressure applied to the gun during the draw will cause the "Jam up" situation. These "Jam up" events are exposing issues with your draw stroke. A Kydex holster masks these draw stroke issues because the inner portion of the holster functions as a guide to help get the gun out of the holster smoothly.

Race Holsters that have a muzzle perch are more forgiving to a less than optimal draw stroke because the perch keeps the gun aligned at the proper angle until a decent amount of upward movement happens to clear the trigger guard from the holster.

I have tried pretty much all "Race Holsters" available on the market and the best one I have found is the Ghost The One. This is a trigger guard retention with a muzzle perch setup. With that being said I always end up back at a Kydex holster with a Springer Precision hanger. Kydex holsters are no slower than "Race" holsters and way more forgiving. Not to mention dramatically less prone to failure like most race holsters with locks and stuff like that.

Some of the DAA modules can be snug on some trigger guards and can be easily fixed with a few passes from a file. If your  pistol does not clear the holster without getting hung up, you need to fine tune the insert so that it does. I'm definitely a little faster on the draw with my RaceMaster than my PDR Pro and Bladetech DOH.

2 hours ago, Trinimon said:

Some of the DAA modules can be snug on some trigger guards and can be easily fixed with a few passes from a file. If your  pistol does not clear the holster without getting hung up, you need to fine tune the insert so that it does. I'm definitely a little faster on the draw with my RaceMaster than my PDR Pro and Bladetech DOH.

Good idea. Thx

You ain't the only one brother.  Went from a Glock 35 in a kydex holster to a 2011 in a DAA Racemaster back in January.  Still not as fast.  But that's a bunch of big changes all at once.  If I didn't love the thumb rest so much I'd probably go back to kydex.

3 hours ago, superluckycat said:

You ain't the only one brother.  Went from a Glock 35 in a kydex holster to a 2011 in a DAA Racemaster back in January.  Still not as fast.  But that's a bunch of big changes all at once.  If I didn't love the thumb rest so much I'd probably go back to kydex.

Interesting. 

On the topic of my alpha x sticking: futzing around in dryfire I found that if I put the gun in the holster firmly and then prep it by lifting it up a a quarter inch (not out of mechanism just enough to not be at the absolute apex of the holster) and gently leaving the gun it kind of “breaks the seal” or prevents lock up somehow. Akin to improving the lie of a golf ball. 

I assume that that there is some mechanism that pivots better if it’s at say 89 degree angle instead of the full 90 degree angle if that makes sense. 

Could be placebo effect of more reps but thought I’d share. Hasn’t stuck since I made that part of the pre draw routine. 

6 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

I'm glad to hear things are improving, with said you switched to a heavier 2011, but from what?

I've shot Open guns from 38oz to 54oz and I'm definitely faster on the draw with a lighter gun.

Glock 35

Week one update: getting faster with reps. Dryfire now under 1 second so I’ve bridged half the loss already. 

Technique question: when you draw your 1911 / 2011, are you establishing grip with thumb over the safety and then pushing it down to final freehand grip or are you establishing a “normal” grip then coming over top during the presentation? 

Edited by Paulie

13 hours ago, Paulie said:

Week one update: getting faster with reps. Dryfire now under 1 second so I’ve bridged half the loss already. 

Technique question: when you draw your 1911 / 2011, are you establishing grip with thumb over the safety and then pushing it down to final freehand grip or are you establishing a “normal” grip then coming over top during the presentation? 

Like you I came from extensive glock shooting then abruptly migrated to 1911 style pistol. I started w/ the “normal” (to a gk) grip and experimented w/ thumb over safety grip. Eventually ended w/ the latter. Think this is a normal tendency or phase when coming from a gk like pistol. Either way you wont be lost. 

Thumb over safety when establishing grip.
I went with an open holster briefely, just wasnt that much if any faster and kinda pointless to put up with the diisadvantages in my case.
A bladetech DOH works pretty good, I ran a 6 inch STI bull barrel. So a pretty heavy gun but was still around .9 to 1.2,   Its aslo seemed prety rare to actually have a draw and shoot at a match. Usually some kinda initial movement involved.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

I went with an open holster briefely, just wasn't that much faster

Open holsters aren't any faster, not designed to be faster.

There are so many different configurations of OPEN guns,

especially the length of the barrel/comp, that OPEN holsters

are designed to be adjustable to any possible configuration.

You just can't jam an OPEN gun into a leather or kydex

holster, without some modification or customization    :) 

I went to an Everglades race holster after using the Bladetech DOH (Stoeger's Boss DOH), and at first I had some serious issues and wondered at the "why of it all", but I kept at it, and now I find when I go back to the kydex holster, I have real issues getting my gun out of the holster. There is a much longer upward vertical draw with the kydex.

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Open holsters aren't any faster, not designed to be faster.

There are so many different configurations of OPEN guns,

especially the length of the barrel/comp, that OPEN holsters

are designed to be adjustable to any possible configuration.

You just can't jam an OPEN gun into a leather or kydex

holster, without some modification or customization    :) 

True, but op was talkin speed. But yes, good point,,,  open guns with comps and optics tend to need a holster with lots of adjustments,,,