Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

seeing something strange on my shadow 2

kmanick

I had my gumsmith do a bunch of work on my 2 last week (it's all in the Mods to my shadow 2 thread)

anyway on of the changes he did was to replace the extended mag release with a "regular one"

the mags drop right out when the gun is cool but when I start running the gun the mags don't drop , I actually have to pull them out.

any idea as to what is happening here?  I'm afraid that I may have to have him put the original mag release back in :(

Doubtful that thermal expansion of the frame is the issue. This is quite peculiar though. Possible the magbrake is distorted?

Also why take it to Smith for mag catch?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Edited by 38superfan

Are there still rounds in the mag? Top round may have walked forward and is dragging on the inside of the magwell. Or you may be over pressing the new button and trapping the mag in the grip.

Does it only happen when you run the magazine dry? I've had the same issues because my catch was long enough to reach inside and actually catch one of the coils on the magazine spring. It can also be that the when you're reloading day and slamming the magazine up it's stopping higher up in the notch. Check to see if your magazines are wearing in the upper part of the lock notch.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, 38superfan said:

Also why take it to Smith for mag catch?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

he did a few other things while he had it as well. I have no tools ....yet to work on on this thing without scratching the hell out of it

and unfortunately , my eyes aren't what they used to be.

A simple modification to your mag release spring will fix that. What is happening is you are pushing the mag button in to far and it is catching on to the mag. The mag button on the shadow 2 does not do that as the paddle prevents it from going in too far. There is a YouTube video out there showing how to do that. 

*Dont have a gunsmith work on your gun. The CZ is simple enough for one to do their own changes. This way too, you are in control and know what works and what doesn’t. You only need a gunsmith for milling, even fitting you can do on your own. 

thanks guys , I need the tools that is the problem, i don't even have a padded vice :( 

I watch some of these videos and I think to myself ..."I should be able to do this no problem"

I'll take a look for that video

I'm guessing this is the referenced video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBlt-tNMX_A

Edited by kmanick

7 hours ago, slavex said:

abb1 has it nailed, the old style mag catch can be overpressed and catches the mag, bend the leg of the spring and you're good to go.

This!  

Though, I'd add there is a sweet spot for how much to bend. Should be rether large of a sweet spot though. I'd chalk it up to tolerances. Depending on your gun and which mags, you may find it'll been good to go with nickel plated mags but may not be 100% with AFC mags.

I had one gun that was that way.   

You can buy pre bent springs from CZC if you don't want to bend them yourself. 

On 3/27/2018 at 8:13 AM, OPENB said:

... you may be over pressing the new button and trapping the mag in the grip.

I’ve noticed this is a problem for me. I very slightly dremel’d the (left) inside of the mag catch. Keep in mind you can’t take too much off or it might be unstable or wobbly. 

Edited by Sdlrodeo
Fat fingers

• 4 weeks later...

update on this

Now I've got all of the tools :)

I ended up putting the original extended mag release back in but flipped to the right side for a lefty.

man getting that lower spring back in was a real b*tch LOL! but I did it. 

I also went ahead and bought all "real CZ mags"

I used them in my first USPSA match last weekend and had zero issues

I don't trust the MecGars any more, I'll just use them at the range going forward.

A lot of the other CZ guys at the match don't like them either

both the nickel plated and black/blue MecGar mags are the same size, and are slightly larger than the original CZ mags, but CZ is now using the MecGar as OEM and for good reason, they are a tremendously better mag. Slightly thicker metal, better construction, better design of the feed lips, everything about them is better. In a Shadow 2 they are usually the mag the gun comes with. It's only the old style mag catch, without the bent spring, that is an issue. 

I still have 4 MecGar mags, I'll have to run them with the mag release switched and see if they will actually drop.

Now that I've gone "live" and see how time is of the essence  when running these courses I have to be sure my equipment does not fail

(obviously). LOL!  I have 6 ghost mag holsters on my belt and only 4 CZ mags so if the MecGars work they do have a home

My buddy was having issues with some Mecgar mags on his S2 ie, they would not drop free and you had to pull the out. I had a look at it and it seems like the back of the mags near the feed lips were being jammed up against the ejector housing, more so when the gun was getting hot from shooting it. I have had zero issues with my S2.

I run Mec-Gar mags almost exclusively. Only issue I've had with them was with the Shock Bottle base pads.

With stock base pads, they've run perfectly. I've shot 10 matches in a variety of conditions and have yet to clean them. Still running fine.

3 hours ago, Trinimon said:

My buddy was having issues with some Mecgar mags on his S2 ie, they would not drop free and you had to pull the out. I had a look at it and it seems like the back of the mags near the feed lips were being jammed up against the ejector housing, more so when the gun was getting hot from shooting it. I have had zero issues with my S2.

this is exactly what I was seeing with the other 'standard sized" mag release. I'm going to try them tomorrow and see if the original mag release

flipped for a lefty will work reliably with them. ( i hope so)

I've run into one Shadow 2 that had issues with the MecGar mags binding on the sear cage as well, I'd forgot about that. Not all mags, just 2 or 3 of them, which all worked fine in my gun. We ended up looking at the cage, and saw that it was much thicker at the front than any other cage we looked at. Onto the belt sander it went, took it down to the same dimensions and problem solved. Was a simple case of tolerance stacking I guess, perhaps you've run into the same thing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 7:29 AM, Nayr said:

I run Mec-Gar mags almost exclusively. Only issue I've had with them was with the Shock Bottle base pads.

With stock base pads, they've run perfectly. I've shot 10 matches in a variety of conditions and have yet to clean them. Still running fine.

What was the issues with the shockbottle base pads? I just bought a set for my match mags but have yet to run then